Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ vs LR for long commuting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up buying a used ‘21 LR from Tesla with 12k mi and FSD capability for the price of a new one. (I know controversial, but I’m fascinated by FSD, and how I get to see what happens with it!). Very happy so far, but don’t start the commute for a few months. Will let you know how it goes. Figuring out how to drive/charge it now before it’s a daily need.

My biggest fear with SR+ is I’m on my way home and the BMS screwed up and I don’t have enough juice to get home.

I ended up buying a used ‘21 LR from Tesla with 12k mi
I think you made the right decision on the LR, not sure about FSD though. FSD is like letting a drunk teenager drive your expensive car. My 2021 LR is driven 105 mi round trip every workday. On the rare occasion we need to deviate from work and drive more, we just stop at a supercharger to add some more energy to make it to the new destination and then home to charge. Absolutely no range anxiety.

Haven’t started my commute in earnest, but did my first trip there this week, went the long way and it still only used 49% of battery. I think I’ll plan to charge to 80% for daily commuting purposes. I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised by the trickle charging efficiency so far for my around town use - 4-5mi/hr. There really is no need for high voltage charging for typical daily commuting purposes in this car. Getting my charger installed next week. Interestingly, when I preheat the cabin, it actually draws from the battery in addition to the 110v outlet (ie looses range). That said, temps in the 30sF seemed to have no appreciable loss of range. I’m pleased.

Haven’t started my commute in earnest, but did my first trip there this week, went the long way and it still only used 49% of battery. I think I’ll plan to charge to 80% for daily commuting purposes. I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised by the trickle charging efficiency so far for my around town use - 4-5mi/hr. There really is no need for high voltage charging for typical daily commuting purposes in this car. Getting my charger installed next week. Interestingly, when I preheat the cabin, it actually draws from the battery in addition to the 110v outlet (ie looses range). That said, temps in the 30sF seemed to have no appreciable loss of range. I’m pleased.
What's the range say when you charge to 100%?