Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sr+ vs LR Model 3 supercharging times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted this in the Canadian forum but then thought this is the more appropriate one.

I’ve moved and will be relying on a supercharger and L2 charging. I currently have an sr+ and am considering an LR.

Where I live Superchargers cost on a per minute used basis. Since the LR charges faster, for more range, would the cost per mile driven not be less with a LR over the SR+? If you’re plugged in for 30 mins to get from 20-80% in both cars, isn’t the LR cheaper to operate or am I missing something?

As I recall the max speed of supercharging for SR+ was 170KW while LR can go to the max 250KW. If the charging was happening at the max speeds for both of those models then they would have the same time for both using this following math:

SR+ charging time 20-80% = 0.6 * 55KWh (approx usable battery) / 170KW = 0.194 hours = 11.64 minutes
LR charging time 20-80% = 0.6*77.5KWh (approx usable battery)/ 250KW = 0.186 hours = 11.16 minutes

Now we know that charging is not at the max except for the short percentage in early part and they follow the curve down but the curves are relatively close for both models so I expect the charge times to be the same for both the models. I was also curious since I have 2018 Model 3 LR and recently ordered the 2022 Model 3 RWD.

250kW is only up to something like 25%SOC and then it drops. If you started at 3%SOC it would make a difference but starting from 20% I don't expect much. You can see this (Tesla's 250-kW Supercharger Only Saved Us 2 Minutes vs. a 150-kW Charger) which shows only a 2 minute gain comparing a 250kW V3 to a 150kW V2 charger on a LRAWD.

Remember that a LRAWD consumes more power to travel the same distance, with its higher weight and two motors. Seems to me that you shouldn't choose your model based on this supposed economy.

Also remember that charger owners typically pay per kWh, not per minute. They have to charge us by minute in areas where they are not allowed to bill by kWh (because that's reserved for energy providers). Eventually I think these silly rules will go away and you'll pay per kWh.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
250kW is only up to something like 25%SOC and then it drops. If you started at 3%SOC it would make a difference but starting from 20% I don't expect much. You can see this (Tesla's 250-kW Supercharger Only Saved Us 2 Minutes vs. a 150-kW Charger) which shows only a 2 minute gain comparing a 250kW V3 to a 150kW V2 charger on a LRAWD.
Yes, the 150KW vs 250KW supercharger is another variable.. I wanted to keep the comparison math simple where the supercharger does provide 250KW and is not just rated for it. In the link provided above, the charging happened only ay 201KW for an instant .. again it might be that grid and that particular supercharger, etc.. too many variables. I have also been to 150KW superchargers where they only provided 100-120KW max not counting anybody in the neighboring stall, etc.

Remember that a LRAWD consumes more power to travel the same distance, with its higher weight and two motors.
Seems to me that you shouldn't choose your model based on this supposed economy.
With the addition of the LFP batteries in 2022 RWD it seems the weight of the LR AWD using NCA batteries will be much closer.. only about 100 kg/220 lbs difference. Also, I have the 2018 LR (not AWD) where I see the weight between it and the 2022 RWD is essentially identical at around 1750kg/ 3850 lbs

The other cool thing is that this 2022 RWD will use the same 980 motor as the LR. But I agree that LR AWD will definitely consume more power to run.. though the economy part is not my concern.. maybe OP was more interested in that.

Also remember that charger owners typically pay per kWh, not per minute. They have to charge us by minute in areas where they are not allowed to bill by kWh (because that's reserved for energy providers). Eventually I think these silly rules will go away and you'll pay per kWh.
Yes, lets hope to change to KWh in Canada (at least Ontario and Quebec where I have experienced this per minute billing)

Thanks for the replies. What I’m really asking is:
Assume your only source of recharge is a supercharger. It’s billed by the minute. 30 mins spent with a SR+ or a LR plugged in at 20%, which car drives away with more range for that same 30 mins?

I might put it as a pro for the charging speed alone, shaving a bit of time on long trips, but it would be very low on the list. I wouldn't put it there for money saved. Even then, as you point out higher up there are many factors that affect charging speed that mean you might not even save any time...