Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SREC for California homeowners

eliang3118

Mar 23, 2021
Castro valley
Hi everyone, Tesla recently sent me a new contract with a credit off the purchase agreement for SREC. This is new for california homeowners who are going solar this year. Does any CA Tesla solar panel owners know about this? I emailed my advisor and was told that CA customers are REQUIRED to transfer their renewable energy credits to Tesla. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can we opt out of it? I want to be able to manage my own credits. Thank you!

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Thats new. let us know if you get more info. I looked into this previously and CA did not have a marketplace or any way for homeowners to participate in this, but that was prior to this year.

Reactions: SoCalSolarRoof

dareed1

Jan 15, 2021
Belmont, CA
I may well be wrong about this, but I believe that it is in principle possible for an individual homeowner to get credit for SRECs. Apparently the way to do this is to register with the Western Renewable Energy Generation Information System which will track your generation. Then it is up to the individual to find a buyer. It is my belief that the costs of setting up an account with WREGIS is likely to exceed the value of any credits you could sell. California is not short of solar power and I think the SRECs are nearly valueless here. It may make sense for Tesla to use the SRECs if the costs they incur can be spread across many MWh of generation.

wjgjr

May 11, 2020
Silver Spring, MD
I may well be wrong about this, but I believe that it is in principle possible for an individual homeowner to get credit for SRECs. Apparently the way to do this is to register with the Western Renewable Energy Generation Information System which will track your generation. Then it is up to the individual to find a buyer. It is my belief that the costs of setting up an account with WREGIS is likely to exceed the value of any credits you could sell. California is not short of solar power and I think the SRECs are nearly valueless here. It may make sense for Tesla to use the SRECs if the costs they incur can be spread across many MWh of generation.
Looking at their website (WREGIS Home) seems to back up all of this, including the $50 annual fee (more if the install exceeds 30 kW.) Between that and the apparent lack of a marketplace (compared to those of us out east who register for free and have a few options for brokers who sell them, like SRECTrade) it does seem to make it more difficult for a user and it may make sense to take what Tesla is offering. At the least, the apparent lack of an easy-to-use market makes it harder to assess the value of the credits if kept.

The other item of note is that if using the new Tesla inverter, it is possible that would not be sufficient for reporting production. Most (all?) states around here where SRECs are in place require the meters to meet an ANSI standard, and it seems the Tesla inverter has not yet been certified. While it is hopefully just a matter of time (and not something that requires a hardware change,) it appears to be a reason why Tesla has been insistent about buying out the SREC credits in newer installs. This may be what OP is running into now. The WREGIS website also does suggest there are cases where registration itself if required, but I don't know anything about those rules or to what installs they might apply, and it doesn't seem like that would prevent the owner from being the one who registers.

tconvert

Mar 21, 2021
SF Bay Area
Maybe Try OhmConnect. Not sure if extra power is sellable that way in their marketplace.

jjrandorin

Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Does anyone know if it makes sense to keep SREC rather than collect the credit from Tesla? I live in Southern California - 35 panels

This (SREC for california) seems to be very newly available. Maybe you can provide more information about this? Is keeping them even an option? Where would you propose selling them?

nevian

Apr 1, 2021
So California
This (SREC for california) seems to be very newly available. Maybe you can provide more information about this? Is keeping them even an option? Where would you propose selling them?
yes, I called today to confirm that it is OPTIONAL though Tesla kept insisting they "preferred" to keep it. I wouldn't know where to begin with trading this SREC. I tried opening an account just now at SRECtrade.com and was denied because minimum residential size is a lot larger than my system:

We do not currently accept systems under 100kW for this state. However, if your portfolio of assets is greater than 100kW please contact us for more information at [email protected].
For individual systems smaller than 100kW please subscribe to our blog for news regarding future expansion of our services to projects of that size.

jjrandorin

Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
If you find out information about selling them in CA please let everyone know. This is relatively new for CA. It was not available last year that any of us are aware of.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
yes, I called today to confirm that it is OPTIONAL though Tesla kept insisting they "preferred" to keep it. I wouldn't know where to begin with trading this SREC. I tried opening an account just now at SRECtrade.com and was denied because minimum residential size is a lot larger than my system:

We do not currently accept systems under 100kW for this state. However, if your portfolio of assets is greater than 100kW please contact us for more information at [email protected].
For individual systems smaller than 100kW please subscribe to our blog for news regarding future expansion of our services to projects of that size.
Is anyone in this group have 100kw?

nevian

Apr 1, 2021
So California
it's kind of sh*tty that we're having to commit to a contract where we might be giving up something that might benefit us. we don['t have hte information, we don't know what' sgoing to happen. this sucks.

jjrandorin

Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
good info on SRECs:

Most of us know what they are "solar renewable energy credits", but in CA they were not available to residential homeowners. It frankly doesnt make sense for them to be available to residential homeowners in this state, as there is no longer any need to "drive solar adoption" in this state. We have plenty of solar. the issue we have in california is what happens when the sun goes down, not demand during the day.

My expectation is that SRECs in CA should be virtually worthless unless they somehow get to be sold across the country somewhere.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC