TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SSC Ultimate Aero EV- 6 years without a charge.....???

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by danny, Jul 17, 2008.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Just got back from the pub, where I was reading Jay Leno's review of the SCC Ultimate Aero in the Sunday Times. This got me thinking about the EV version again.

One thing we never did back up the thread was check SCC's own site. So I had a look and sure enough the "years between charges" claim is there in black and white:

Shelby SuperCars - SSC - Exotic Luxury SuperCars

Wow - they'd have to be pretty sure of this to put that in a press release. I hope.

2. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

You charge it to the max and then let it seat in the garage. It'd better take years before it selfdischarges.

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I thought it referred to when I read it.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

What's this nonsense?

Shelby SuperCars to Raise $5,000,000 via Private Placement

5. stopcrazypp

#25 stopcrazypp, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
    What? First, the grammar in it is horrible and second is I've seen nothing but praise for the Tesla Roadster in the mainstream media. On the other hand, I've seen barely any attention for the SSC, at most less than half as much, though they claim R&T, C&D and other publications loved it (can't find the articles online though). Online, the Roadster gets more criticism, but not as horrible as the ones for the SSC, which many feel is a cheap diablo-lookalike kit car (as always they point to headlights taken off a Ford Focus SVT).

I usually defend the SSC against those who feel it still doesn't top the Veyron, given it has broken a world record, but if they try to put down Tesla Motors (this part doesn't seem to be part of the original press release though) then I'll reconsider. They are also comparing apples and oranges when talking about earning a world record with a gasoline car with only a couple sold (which is a lot easier to do, with a lot less capital required) and making a high performance EV with a volume of up to 2000/yr (a lot harder, a lot more capital).

6. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Then why are they wasting their time putting it into sports cars? This could make them billions in a whole range of civilian and military applications.

Maybe that will be the jist of the next press release. "We've just made a fabulous deal that we're not at liberty to disclose" Yeah, right.

They'll just keep the prototype 'n' press release shuffle going for a while, if anyone wants to follow it.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yeah half of the complaints about Tesla is that they are vaporware or too slow in coming out. Not really the point of this paragraph.

And with terms like Super Luxury Market and Worlds Fastest they are going for a different segment. More Lightning and Fetish money.

Re reading the copy it actually sounds defensive. Like they could only get 5M but still have to justify why they are better.

Lastly, Why is it that all these EV makers (you guys know them all) make announcements before they have a working prototype? I rode in the Roadster the day it was announced. They had two running (most of the day). Since then everyone trying to play catchup shows us drawings, mockups, Old kit cars (without an Ev drivetrain), mules, and paper press releases (paperware). In this Tesla Rules!

8. graham

graham Active Member

http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/10/21/the-ultimate-aero-ev/
    aeroev02.jpg

aeroev06.jpg

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I guess they should mention that the car needs to be parked all that time and that
    means 3 to 4 miles per hour.

Oh, and the car is 250,00 pounds and is 283 feet long.:rolleyes:

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Um, like just a solar panel on the roof? Just don't drive it much.

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Shelby SuperCars announces worlds fastest electric production car - Examiner.com

WTF? :confused:

Shelby SuperCars announces worlds fastest electric production car

12. stopcrazypp

Double post, but anyways, Jalopnik featured this also and many commenters questioned that sentence.

Ultimate Aero EV: SSC Plans To Build World's Fastest Electric Production Car

It sounds to me that either the people writing these press releases know nothing at all about electricity (both press releases they have nonsense written in it) or the people working on it have no clue also.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

That makes no sense.

I can see 10 minute charge off of industrial strength high voltage commercial power connection, but no way you get anything meaningful from a "standard 110v outlet" in 10 minutes. Is this some kind of bad joke? They aren't even in the ballpark with this.

Our initial concerns are confirmed - their PR claims to ignore the laws of physics.

I am trying to think out of the box and imagine what they might be talking about, but nothing comes to mind. Are they using a 0.2kWh micro-pack that can power them 200 miles? Absurd. Are they planning to draw 3000 amps from the 110v plug to recharge a 55kWh pack in 10 minutes? Absurd.

14. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#34 dpeilow, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
    Maybe one of their employees frequented this board?

Shelby announces world's fastest electric car | Crave - CNET

I think I see what is going on here...

I noticed that Mr Siry is already on the charge time case at Jalopnik.

I wonder if there is also a problem with the motor specs? Afterall, as we worked out in the Electric Planes thread, that kind of horsepower doesn't come lightweight. If we take Tesla's kW/kg as a starting point, Shelby's motor would have to be in the 200kg range - and even heavier if they want to sustain higher power outputs and higher top speeds. Are they going to fit TGV train motors to enable this thing to keep a constant 200mph on the autobahn?

15. graham

graham Active Member

Well, that was Allusion's plan :smile:

The first we hear of the SSC, it was going to charge once for 6 years. Now that is charge for 10 minutes to go 200 miles. Did they change their mind about the first? Or possibly they intend you to charge for 10 minutes, and then only drive 33 miles a year for 6 years?

I am not so sure about these press releases...

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

OK, wait - they didn't actually say 110V (although sites paraphrasing their story did). Perhaps they meant standard 110kV outlet...
    (e.g.: recharge at the power substation only)

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Take your pick... Charge in 40 hours here:
    receptacle.jpg

Or 10 minutes here (but who will let you plug in?):
    110kV%252F220kV%252F330kV_Transformer.jpg

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#38 TEG, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    Some may notice that they have reworded their online copy of the original press release.
    "Not require a charge for six years" claim has been removed/changed.
    Also it seems 500hp is now standard, and they are "exploring" the twin 500...
    I think they need a disclaimer "napkin ideas for now - specs subjects to major revision"

Copy of original:

0-60mag.com Blog Archive Kilowatt Crazy

Changed to:

Shelby SuperCars - SSC - Exotic Luxury SuperCars

19. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

#39 Palpatine, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    How about this idea.... thinking outside the box here....

The car actually has 100 plug-in ports scattered around the vehicle.
    The car owner is supposed to own 100 very long extension cords. Then you run around to every 110 volt 20 amp outlet in the house and for all of your neighbors. Run all of those 100 extension cords to your garage where your EV is waiting. Then plug in all 100 extension cords to the vehicle.

It takes about 30 minutes to plug-in the vehicle, but the charge only takes 10 minutes.

Maybe if all of the plugs are 240 volt 30 amp outlets equivalent to your average household dryer, it might work.

Anyone want to do the math?

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, James, I actually thought about that one too...

You can get about 1300watts per outlet.
    To charge a 50kWh pack in 10 minutes you need 300,000watts.
    So 230 extension cords, give or take...

But I think you would probably blow out some transformers in the neighborhood doing that.