TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SSC Ultimate Aero EV- 6 years without a charge.....???

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by danny, Jul 17, 2008.

1. graham

graham Active Member

:biggrin: TEG, you always have the best graphics!

2. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

#42 Palpatine, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009

According to my kw meter, my Vectrix electric scooter pulls at peak 1600 watts and 14-15 amps for about 3 hours during the charging cycle.
    That is on a normal 110 volt 20 amp outlet.
    3.7 kwh nickel battery

So if each extention cord provides 1600 watts, then it is only a mere 187 outlets that are required for the 10 minute recharge.

I think most homes provide for 100 amp service, so as long as nothing else is drawing electricity in the homes, you could access about 6 outlets per house. So you would only need to recruit about 30 of your neighbors plus your own house.

3. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

#43 Palpatine, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    On a slightly related note, I just heard today that Tesla has a new supplier for the HPC.

The HPC that is being provided now is able to recharge at 240 volts, 90 amps. That reduces the recharge for the Roadster to about 2 hr 45 min from empty.

But you really need to be sure that your house can handle it. Is your house limited to 100 amps? Or can it go higher. Consult an electrician.

4. danny

danny Administrator

Shelby SuperCars - SSC - Exotic Luxury SuperCars

5. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

SSC expects to roll out its first full-scale, pre-production Ultimate Aero EV in second quarter 2009.

Mechanical engineering - full marks
    Electrical engineering - do the math. Again!

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Hmm not sure. I sense a Tesla DT 1.0 change of motor speed / gearbox issue coming on again.

7. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Oh well. Let's sit back and enjoy the delays.

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

You'd think with 5 months to go before demonstrating this car to the press and public, they would have a mule running around and have something to verify these claims. Do they think this just a case of taking an ICE car and slapping in some batteries and a couple of 500 bhp motors? :wink:

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#49 dpeilow, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009

220 what? kV?

Oops - just seen TEG did a similar joke back up the thread. Sorry :redface:

10. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Not much new in this press release compared to the earlier one. (And you'd think they would have figured out the math in the meantime.) I think the timing might have something to do with trying to take advantage of the current negative news about Tesla.

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

So their specs continue to go from absurd down to remotely plausible.
    Lets see how much more adjustment they make before we know what they really have.

I think they must be watching!
    Their text is already updated today:

OK, so they finally put a "V" in there, but now it is 220V instead of 110.
    And they don't say anything about amps. For a moment, lets say that the car is highly efficient and they only need a 30kWh pack. That's still 180,000 watts for a 10 minute full charge. At 220V that's 818amps.

Also their range claim changed from "200 miles" to "150-200 miles".
    Does that mean average range? EPA range? Range at what speed?
    Range could be 2 miles at 208mph, but 200 miles at 40mph.
    If they say "150-200" does that imply that they are promising a 150 mile range at 208mph?

Back to 10 minute quick charge... Where do they propose you will find those charge spots? What sort of cable are they talking about? Note this picture showing a prototype BYD F3 with both normal and quick charge sockets:
    byd-f3-dm-steckdose.jpg
    (We are talking mammoth cable to support quick charge)

12. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to find what voltage the 250kW Aerovironment charger that was demonstrated to fully charge a 35kWh AltairNano battery in 10 minutes runs on. Some people say it's 240 Volts since it's grid connected.

However, I was able to find that the Aerovironment PosiCharge rapid chargers being used to rapid charge EVs in Hawaii and also for forklifts have a max of 600 amps of safe charging current.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

For a car with an EV range approaching 200miles, one has to assume that they have a pack with at least 30kWh... To recharge in 10 minutes, that needs at least a 180kW charger.

http://www.posicharge.com/ELT.pdf
    Note: they have 600VAC and 240VAC version also, but output kW is similar.

So, those PosiCharge stations are no where near high enough currrent to get a 10 minute charge on a big pack like the Aero EV would almost certainly have. An hour would be more realistic.

Things still don't add up. Either their range numbers are questionable (and they have a much smaller pack), or their 10 minute charge doesn't use a "regular" outlet. They already changed it from "110" to "220", and maybe next it goes to "440" or "600"? Besides, these 10 minute charges have still been somewhat of a pipe dream as those current levels aren't available everywhere, and the equipment to charge safely at those levels is extremely expensive. Who (aside from a proof of concept demo) is going to front the money to get such a hook up to get the current you would need safely? Is this of any practical use anytime soon?

----
    http://www.ac-dc-power.de/02_Produkte/PDF_AV/AV-900.pdf
    http://www.pagnet.org/Documents/Committees/CleanCities/CleanCities-2008-09-24-AeroVironment.pdf
    AeroVironment, Inc.: EV Test Systems: AV-900/900CE Detail
    [​IMG]
    (stick that 3,500lb+ box in your driveway!)

AeroVironment shows Altairnano 10 minute recharge | Cleantech Group
    AeroVironment Announces Expansion of Popular Product Line; Systems Revolutionize Testing of Fuel Cells, Batteries and Turbines | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET
    AeroVironment successfully quick charges Altair Nanotechnologies battery - AutoblogGreen

14. stopcrazypp

So it looks like those are at the 400V+ range, so they might have to adjust their numbers again.

Obviously it won't be at a standard outlet; they have since backed out from that claim.

It seems their press releases are continually edited so you can't really trust what they are saying. Hopefully at least their horsepower and performance claims hold.

15. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

OK so I think we should post the entire SSC press releases from now on, for archive purposes :smile:

At least from that picture evidence BYD seem to be thinking about this. It may weigh as much as a fire hose, and the authorities might not like it, but their solution could actually do the job...

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I see those cables at Burbank Airport plugged into the various luggage vehicles. They come from up high.

I have pictures...

17. doug

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

You know the auto world really has changed when blogs like that immediately start debates over efficiency, recharge times and battery capacity. The conversations now are of the same intensity (or more) as the "old days" conversations of compression ratios, cam grinds, and octane ratings.
    The EV sports car concept really is becoming more mainstream.

There are a lot of people now pondering MPGe, kWh and such. Not so much a few years ago.

19. stopcrazypp

Thinking back on this rapid charging business, I looked back at the Lightning car which supposedly will use 3 phase power.

According to this wiki article Three-phase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    3 phase power means 1.5x the power of typical single phase (if I am reading it correctly).

It might help with the voltage requirements if they are using 3 phase power (of course they don't say what kind of power they are using).

20. doug

SSC's plug-in supercar would need the mother of all plugs | Up to Speed | Los Angeles Times

shelby_supercar_goes_electr.jpg