TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SSC Ultimate Aero EV- 6 years without a charge.....???

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by danny, Jul 17, 2008.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

If their goal was to get a lot of press due to outrageous claims, they have accomplished their mission.

As for their reputation...

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

They seem to me to be looking for Middle Eastern investors for their private offering.

The Ultimate Aero ICE is the carrot, the fantasy Ultimate Aero EV is the stick...

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Shelby's amazing Aero EV: 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds, 10 minute recharge - Engadget

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think that some form of mathematical/science/engineering education should be mandatory if you want to work in the technical media :rolleyes:

4. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

And yet there is that small, irrational part of me hoping they've discovered a way to pull extra power from another dimension :eek: :confused: :biggrin:

5. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

A zero point module (ZPM)?

[​IMG]

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Flux capacitor?
    [​IMG]
    Mr Fusion?
    [​IMG]

Dilithium Crystals?
    [​IMG]

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I'm wondering if Darryl could say something about this on his own blog. It hopefully will get picked up by some of the sites publishing this stuff. I'm pretty sure he's got some views on the claims some of these vapourware companies have been making. I'll start things off with how I think isn't helping:

1) While all the positive hype about SSC is around, we get people saying "eat that Tesla, they can charge in 10 minutes and you can't even manage 3 hours and they are faster".

2) When they don't deliver and the press goes bad, there will be the usual naysayers saying "told you so, all high performance EVs are hype," and link it back to Tesla.

Neither is good for winning over those people who are considering taking the plunge and getting a Roadster.

Say what you want about Tesla, fundamentally they have been honest with their specs and don't need competitors making claims like this.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

You did read the first comment in the LA Times article. ?

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Ha - about the one article on it I didn't read yet.

Nice one Mr Siry and quick off the blocks too :smile:

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#71 TEG, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    Mostly yes, although Tesla did slightly overstate some things.
    We could nitpick original price, top speed & range numbers for instance.
    Basically they promised their best projections, and ended up being off by a small margin.

Now, SSC, on the other hand seems to be much more 'creative' with what they are promising. We are forced to "wait and see", but there are many of us very dubious right now. And we can already see they keep adjusting the specs in each subsequent press release. There is a slight chance they have some major breakthrough that will "blow us all away", but it seems rather unlikely.

I can believe that the Ultimate Aero will have a much higher top speed than the Roadster. Also that they could have 10 minute recharge capability. Beyond that they insinuated all sorts of stuff that seems implausible.
    (Drive for years without recharging? 10 minute full recharge off of 'standard 110' outlets?)

12. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#72 doug, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
    Yes! Perhaps a Breakthrough!

Btw, given the Allusion experience, the next Finkenbusch acting like a troll won't get as much leeway.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#73 TEG, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    Most questionable/controversial claims (related to recharging) highlighted in bold for reference:

I hope they realize that they can't do a press release then press the "undo" button...

14. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I thought Gizmag had fallen for it at first, but: Ultimate Aero EV: 1000 horsepower electric supercar

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

#75 JRP3, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
    I disagree with both those points. Automatics less inefficient than manual? They must mean less efficient. Also I don't see any reason why an auto box cant do regen. There are ways to run autos without torque converters, and I'd think a lockup torque converter would still allow regen.

I see they fixed the efficiency thing.

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, and the Phoenix seems stuck in terminal limbo.
    And their 10 minute recharge was really just a "demo" so far.
    Plus they seemed to have a business model based on selling CA ZEV credits and supporting 10 minute recharge _capability_ would give them a better ratio due to the way the regulations are worded...

But, in the real world, are we near to having any real public locations to do 10 minute recharges? I don't think they should advertise the feature until there is already some infrastructure available to support it.

These pipe dream press releases hurt the EV market. When another vendor hypes it up but then it isn't available people stop trusting what they read.

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

By the way, check out this old topic:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/technical/728-look-ev-journalist-does-math-least-little-research.html

and this:
    http://www.pluginamerica.org/images/InsideGreentech_30may07.pdf

(Does SSC plan to use Altairnano batteries?)

IEEE Spectrum: Electric-Car Maker Touts 10-Minute Fill-up

19. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

You are hitting at the core of all marketing and advertising. With all the layoffs going on, that would be another industry that would have to let go of more than half of it's workforce. :wink:

20. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

Give Tesla some credit on recharge speed. They have recently put out the info on the maximum recharging speed the battery can handle.

440 volts and 160 amps. That would results in a 45 minute recharge of a Tesla Roadster.

Nobody will do that in their home and it really is not even needed there.
    But it makes perfect sense in some strategic locations. That is the perfect amount of time for a lunch and restroom break.

I appreciate that Tesla Motors has been realistic about this info. It provides some credibility. These other companies are trying to grab attention with these fantasy claims that require 1,000 amp recharges in 10 minutes.