Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SSC Ultimate Aero EV- 6 years without a charge.....???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
World's fastest production car to gain electric twin ? Register Hardware

Now we at Vulture Central don't claim to be top-flight electrical engineers but that claim sounds like bollo... er... suspicious to us.

A ten-minute charge time from a domestic 110V socket would be ambitious even for an electricity sipping micro-EV with a battery pack similar to that found in the more robust models of electric shaver.

In the mean time, we've asked SCC for details on how exactly they plan to bend the laws of physics quite that far.

I guess the ridicule is working:

Shelby SuperCars - SSC - Exotic Luxury SuperCars

SSC will display its AESP in the Ultimate Aero EV in order to prove that electric-powered vehicles will not only match but also provide more linear power (electric motors have 100% torque at 0 RPM) and overall performance than internal combustion cars. The Ultimate Aero EV utilizes a twin motor AESP producing an astounding 1,000 HP and 800 lb-ft of torque enabling it to rocket to 60 mph in a mere 2.5 seconds and reach a top speed of 208 mph. Not only does the Ultimate Aero EV have a range of 150-200 miles on a single charge, but SSC's "Charge on the RunTM" onboard charging system allows for full battery recharges in as little as 10 minutes. SSC's 3-speed automatic transmission transfers the Ultimate Aero EV's power to its wheels and achieves electronically controlled shift times of .24 s. The entire AESP is liquid cooled allowing it to run for extended periods of time at peak performance with no overheating issues.

They're still making the 10 minute charge claim, but removed any reference to at what voltage.

What a shame those claims are already all over the internet ("Tesla annihilator", etc...).

I hope SSC show the wardrobe size charger that will be required for these 10 minute pit stops to their invited guests on their test day. Can we also assume the car will have a tonne of fast charge type batteries? Anyone still think this is going to be demonstrated in Q2 when commenters on blogs seem to be doing their electrical engineering?

Perhaps we should hit the comments boxes of all those sites that parroted out the original press release and point them in the direction of this new one - for the sake of EV credibility generally.

EDIT: Doug - you got your 15 minutes...

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/0...s-revises-incredible-claims-again-now-almost/

Last edited:
Yeah that commenter is not me!

You need to somehow differentiate yourself. Personally I knew it wasn't you because of the awkward phrasing.

As a side note, it's nice that they credited SSC for the picture but there's no source given for the article (or the original source for that article) even though he "borrows" some of the same verbiage used by the first author about the recent change. Crap. Was that clear?
It's a good thing I'm not an author because I'd suck at it.:tongue:

Why has this story started to circulate again, particularly with the 10 minutes from a 110V outlet claim: Sports Cars 101: the Shelby SuperCars Aero EV, an electric supercar

Shelby SuperCars expects to roll out its first full-scale, pre-production Ultimate Aero EV in second quarter 2009. Ultimate Aero EV deliveries will start as early as fourth quarter 2009.

Oh dear, it's Q3 and the vapour is yet to condense...

i think the ev sector of scc has been shutdown by the oil companies, and the money that the oil companies gave funded scc's new tuatara and maybe the sedan thats supposed to go 220 mph. I just did some research about this company after seeing that they had made the fastest production car before the bugatti supersport. i saw some stuff about the ev and it seemed that everything about it just disappeared. I knew that the hard time everyone gave about ssc's seemingly extraordinary battery technologies that they boasted could have been possible with ultra capacitors(which came to mind immediately when they said can be charged in 10 minutes) and they could have also developed many other new technologies that are not known. the battery industry has practically not advanced at all in 20 years; the reasoning behind this seems clear to me to be that oil companies have purposefully stopped it so that they dont lose money from more advanced EVs. There was a big EV movement in the 90s, when they had production cars similar to how advanced Tesla's cars are. many of the major automobile companies were involved, but they only rented and leased their new cars to consumers(im not sure why, maybe just because it was all new to the people). Soon after 100% of the EV's sold were repossessed; they were then, for no apparent reason, destroyed along with all the others that were not even sold yet. the only ev's from the time that remained had their internals torn out and destroyed as well. here is a movie that has some information about my accusations Who Killed the Electric Car? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you can also do your own research and find similar information

Too many companies are working on too many different battery technologies for oil companies to do much about it at this point, and battery technology has advanced quite a bit in the last 20 years. A 10 minute battery charge is easily achievable by today's technologies, some can even do it faster, if you can provide enough power. The plain fact is that they never had the battery capability they claimed, end of story. Also, do you really think the members of an electric car website such as this one aren't already aware of the WKTEC movie?

i think the ev sector of scc has been shutdown by the oil companies...
Or maybe they made claims that they couldn't substantiate and they gave up?
I was ready to be surprised if they actually produced a car that lived up to their press releases.
But I was also ready to be not surprised if it didn't happen.

Or maybe they made claims that they couldn't substantiate and they gave up?
I was ready to be surprised if they actually produced a car that lived up to their press releases.
But I was also ready to be not surprised if it didn't happen.

Exactly. Except I would have been shocked, not just surprised, if they had of made something close to what they were claiming, since you could tell by their first press release that they had no idea what they were even talking about.