Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SSD for Model Y Cam's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you really need an SSD? Unless you have a very large music collection all you need for the Tesla Dashcam and Sentry mode is a 128GB or 256GB High Endurance (Sandisk) or Pro Endurance (Samsung) microSD card and a USB reader. Tesla vehicles can now accept, format larger storage devices using exFAT, NTFS, no longer limited to FAT32. With the currentt software when you format the USB storage device the Tesla viewer software automatically creates the needed /TeslaCam folder.

The Tesla Dashcam software only stores 1 hour of video unless you save the 10 minute clip by tapping the screen icon or honking the horn or in the event of a collision. The Sentry Mode events are automatically saved until you delete them. The 128GB storage is good for ~17 hours of Tesla video. The 256GB storage is good for ~34 hours of Tesla video.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Sorry to resurrect a 2 month old thread but just wondering how the T7 is working out for you guys? Was it just as simple as plugging in and formatting using the tesla menu? how is playback in car? TIA!

I have a T7 1TB in the car and it works beautifully from Day One. Not a single problem with it. It's nearly as fast as my Samsung X drive which is thunderbolt when I hook up to my MacBook. You don't need a 1TB, but a previous poster is correct, the larger the drive, the less the re-writes on individual cells.

If you're very concerned about it, you can run the Samsung Magician software and check the health and even change the over provisioning (which enables spare cells to be used in the event of failures). A little Google-Foo and you'll be a pro at getting the most out of the SSD.

I wouldn't use a stick, they aren't nearly as optimized, and rarely do they have over-provisioning. Memory is cheap in the grand scheme and there's no reason to pay for the miniaturization of it into a stick (with the attendant thermal issues of making a case smaller) when you're leaving it in your glove box and don't have to worry about 5x the physical size (which is still tiny).

Reactions: ucsdsig
Hey Everyone,

Hopingj you can help. I have a Samsung T7 1TB USB 3.2 Gen. 2 Portable Solid State Drive - Grey and have been using this for the past two months.
All of a sudden my screen has a grey triangle “some clips may not be saved” “USB to slow for dash cam” “use USB drives that writes at 4mb/a or higher”.
Any helps is appreciated. Thank you.

Hey Everyone,

Hopingj you can help. I have a Samsung T7 1TB USB 3.2 Gen. 2 Portable Solid State Drive - Grey and have been using this for the past two months.
All of a sudden my screen has a grey triangle “some clips may not be saved” “USB to slow for dash cam” “use USB drives that writes at 4mb/a or higher”.
Have you tried formatting the drive using the car’s MCU? I’ve been using the 512GB T7 and it’s been working fine. Even partitioned a small part of the drive for music files.

Hey Everyone,

Ditto on the reformat, you can also download Samsung Magician and look at the over-provisioning (you can increase) and see if it is showing bad cells.

Reactions: ucsdsig
i thought my 2022 intel MY will get some cool games
and they removed sonic replaced with Mahjong
ive been playing cat quest and cup head fallout
1tb M.2

Attachments

• 3F7E1E83-B4A9-46A3-928B-C7EA8B61FDAF.jpeg
    3F7E1E83-B4A9-46A3-928B-C7EA8B61FDAF.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 229