Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SSD Music Not Automatically Continuing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an SSD with a few hundred songs. I have it set to random play. What is strange is that if I take a drive from my house the music doesn't start automatically. I need to go in and select the USB again and a song. Then it goes along happily. If I do nothing, no music plays. BUT, if I stop somewhere, Park, get out, do whatever, get back in, the music will continue to wherever it left off. It act normally, or how I would expect it to, if I'm not at my house/garage, whether I restarted it the music or drove with it being stuck off. I can easily enough start it myself when departing from home, but would prefer it continues where it stopped. It is just odd that it stops/starts without an issue away from home, and only has this problem at home. Maybe due it it sleeping at home? But, I would still expect it to continue once I get in.

It's been acting this way for a couple or more months now. Not sure exactly when it started behaving this way.

Anyone else experiencing this, or a possible solution?

The Tesla UI for USB playback sucks. Sucks hard. My 2013 Ford Taurus had a better controller than the one in the Tesla. Others can probably give a more technical answer, but I can share my experiences.

First, I have learned to make it habit to always wake up my car before going out to it - especially when it has been a while (I don't know the magic amount of time, but I say anything over 15 minutes). By always waking up my car in advance, playback always picks up where I left off. This is the only method I have found to consistently work.

Also know that if you ever select some other audio source (radio, Spotify, etc.), it will forget that spot and you have to start over.

I 99% listen to USB audio as it is currently the only way to get full resolution audio. I have an premium aftermarket system in my car and I am picky about my music source.

• Informative
Reactions: 5150
Ah! Thanks both for your replies. It is good, sort of I guess, that this isn't only happening to me and it is more wide spread. I guess I just deal with it until it gets fixed sometime. Just seems like an odd bug. Thanks again!