Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SSD not being recognized in my model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up the Samsung T5 500gb ssd drive and formatted it to FAT32. Created a TeslaCam folder on the drive after formatting. Turned on Sentry mode in my model 3 then hooked up the drive to the first USB port. Didn’t seem to recognize it as I did not get the little monitor looking icon with the red dot.

Any ideas on what else I should do?

Thanks!

Formatting with fat32 is the big bugaboo hurdle that new drive owners need to jump. If you're using a mac, it's fairly easy, if on a windows box, not so much. In windows, you need to use a third party utility for format, and some work great, and some don't seem to work for everybody, or not at all. I don't have to use windows for this, so don't have strong recommendations, but I've heard Rufus works well and reliably - Rufus

So I tried again but still no luck. As you can see in the screenshot attached, my SSD is in FAT32 format. When I plug into the front driver side USB port, I don't get that dashcam icon to come up at all, let alone with an x or a red dot. Anyone else have this problem and figure out how to troubleshoot it?

Thanks

Attachments

• FAT32.JPG
    FAT32.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 364
How did you discover that setting was on? How did you disable it? Thanks.

Glad you got it working.
It is absolutely appalling to see people proclaim with pride, ‘I, me, I figured it out’ but give no explanation on how to and don’t even respond. I’m having the same issue and would like to know how to disable the security setting.

It is absolutely appalling to see people proclaim with pride, ‘I, me, I figured it out’ but give no explanation on how to and don’t even respond. I’m having the same issue and would like to know how to disable the security setting.
I think "appalling" is a bit heavy-handed, especially since a simple Google search gave me an answer with the simplest of effort (I had to decide which result would be best and then search within that result: had the answer within 30 seconds). I was going to paste the instructions here, but didn't want to deny you the fun of looking yourself.

I think "appalling" is a bit heavy-handed, especially since a simple Google search gave me an answer with the simplest of effort (I had to decide which result would be best and then search within that result: had the answer within 30 seconds). I was going to paste the instructions here, but didn't want to deny you the fun of looking yourself.
Lol, yea sorry about that. It was too late at night for me lurking around here and not thinking through. I’ll google and find the solution there.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Lol, yea sorry about that. It was too late at night for me lurking around here and not thinking through. I’ll google and find the solution there.
Okay, if you're going to be that way, I found your answer on Page 8 of this manual:
You can change your user name/password/security mode of the T5 by clicking “SETTINGS”
button on the main page. When using a computer without the security software, you can
download installation file (“SamsungPortableSSD_Setup_Win.exe” for Windows OS,
“SamsungPortableSSD_Setup_Mac.pkg” for Mac OS) from the Samsung website
(null) and install it to change the settings

There's also a couple of screen shots on the linked document as well.