Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SSD vs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will fair better with the SD card over time. You also don't need a SSD whose speed outpaces the system that is writing/extracting data to/from it. Quite happy with the SD card set up, and it's pretty much plug and forget until we need some dashcam footage or to review a sentry event...

1TB is plenty of space, even if you plan to just run your cameras constantly (with the resulting system power drain) and then have it overwrite. If you do that, just keep in mind, reviewing all that data in the car is painfully slow. Especially if you are trying to find a specific event that didn't just occur. Lots of third-party solutions for that though both on phones and stand-alone computers. With adapters, an SD card will work just as well as an SSD for that too.

Good luck!

SS

Last edited:
I have a 256 Gb usb stick in my Model 3 for the last year. And I think that’s too much space. I just bought two 64 GB Sandisk Endurance sticks. One for an extra and one for the Model Y.

Many people wrote that 128 GB was adequate before the Viewer was available in the Tesla.

Originally I had a 16 GB, and that became too small after a few weeks.

a Terabyte is too much space. There will be too many files before it overwrites them..

Reactions: empiredown
1 TB seems overkill. Do you plan on keeping other stuff on the drive? I know a lot of people use a Samsung 500 gig SSD, and you can get it at a pretty good price. Definitely a lot cheaper than the SD card you listed. SSD should give you better speed and longevity compared to SD card. I personally just use a 128 high endurance micro SD card. I park my car in my garage overnight, so 128 gig is plenty for recording during my work day.