TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

St Augustine SC AMP fluxuation

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Captain Ducman, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Captain Ducman

Just so the thread police don't give me a citation, Im starting a thread to ask this question.

My wife is returning from a trip and stopped at the St Augustine SC with 54miles of range left on our S85.

It stopped charging after a few minutes.

AMPS are fluctuating from 78 to 200 to 180 to 149 to 190 currently 140 with 169miles range.

Heat? Others SCing? or something wrong with SC?
    I've never seen numbers that low with the battery that empty and certainly never the dramatic fluxuations.

2. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

I've supercharged dozens of times and have seen this behavior just once, and at a supercharger that worked correctly two days later on my return trip. It was a 4 stall supercharger (Lumberton, NC) and I took the only open stall when I arrived, so fully loaded. The charge started out slow as would be expected, but then started rolling the amps up and down, even after the car on the same charging pair left, it still rolled up and down. It was a hot day, but not incredibly hot. Have no idea why, but just chalked it up to some type of temp/power anomaly.

3. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

Last time I stopped there was on the way back from MD in April. There was an electrician working on some of the SC's. He said the amperage output was low on them. I'd just come down from the Savannah SC where 3 of the stalls were only outputting 80 amp max. Maybe they have random long term problems with both locations?

4. Captain Ducman

Thanks guys.

Brit, that sounds about like what she had... same as we get from our HPWC. I told her just to unplug and go to DAB or Ocala and get what she needs for the rest of the way home.

Thanks again.

5. Kalud

Kalud Member

I saw it also once at St. Augustine SC.

Only guess is, either a thermal event (getting too hot in the battery suddenly) or some external power issue with utility.

Here's how it looks with real data:

SC power Fluctuation.png

data.png

6. RDuke

RDuke Member

Kalud - how did you produce that graph & chart?

7. Kalud

Kalud Member

Using the REST api (same as the smartphone app uses). I am a user of this site that saves the data 24/7 to a database. So you can check your charging sessions, trip, etc.

More info here:

Beta of a Hosted Data Logger via the Tesla API