Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

St Hubert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool, hopefully more businesses follow suit. Interesting that quebec has half of the electric cars in canada. I just assumed BC held that honour.

One possible factor:
The Quebec government offers an $8000 rebate. The B.C. government has no rebate (any more), but does have a 3% luxury surtax.

The Ontario government offers an $8500 rebate. As far as I know there are no other incentives in Canada other than Ontario and Quebec. Unless you count Alberta not having a provincial sales tax, which amounts to almost as much as the incentive in Ontario and Quebec!

One possible factor:
The Quebec government offers an $8000 rebate. The B.C. government has no rebate (any more), but does have a 3% luxury surtax.

The Ontario government offers an $8500 rebate. As far as I know there are no other incentives in Canada other than Ontario and Quebec. Unless you count Alberta not having a provincial sales tax, which amounts to almost as much as the incentive in Ontario and Quebec!
Govs could/should be doing more. Ont/Que excellent start. Many more incentives could be applied to accelerate the shift to EV's. I would like to see sales tax dropped.

Lets follow Norway...progressive bunch.

EV Norway

But isn't the Norway situation a little different since they have huge taxes on luxury cars from which EVs are exempt. I don't know how well it would go over if the Canadian government slapped about a $100k tax on luxury vehicles which is pretty much would the have in Norway. Apparently the Model S would cost about $250k in Norway if it had an ICE.

We can't copy everything Norway is doing, and the luxury tax would not go over well.
However, our federal government is not doing much to encourage EV's. If Norway's government was ranked as 90% for EV adoption, our federal government would rank at 5%. I would at least like to see them take a step in the right direction.
(The tax rebate is provincially decided, and not federally. )

This isn't meant to be a criticism of the federal government, more a statement of fact, but they have generally promoted the oil and gas industry and have been very hesitant to take any actions on CO2 emissions. It is hard to see them being overly aggressive in promoting EVs at the expense of oil consumption. I am not saying that I agree with that but just observing their behaviour in the last decade.

I used a public non-SC charger for the first time yesterday at Brookfield Place (FKA BCE Place) in downtown T.O. Not bad as you get a prime parking spot and free juice. But it seemed kind of slow - I think it was 30A and 200V that I saw on my car. It took almost 3 hours to replenish the 40 km that I had put on the car that day. It was also the first time I had to use an adapter - they had Eaton chargers.

I think it was 30A and 200V that I saw on my car. It took almost 3 hours to replenish the 40 km that I had put on the car that day. It was also the first time I had to use an adapter - they had Eaton chargers.

It is slow. 30A/200V only provides 28-30 kph in ideal conditions. If you were running the heat while charging, that would explain why the already slow charge rate was cut in half. Still, not bad if you're going to be parked for a while. 200V is typical at commercial L2 sites. Most home installations will offer 230-240V, so at least their charge rate is 15% faster for the same amperage.

Cool, hopefully more businesses follow suit.

This is why the article is significant IMO. St Hubert should be applauded for contributing to the EV movement. It gives hope that more corporations will follow their lead...ideally at N/C and higher level charging.

How ow amazing would it be if every Starbucks in N/A had a couple of HPWC's?

C'mon Starbucks...support your West coast car making cousin. F King Horton's! (AKA Burger Tim's).

Last edited: