Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ST Suspensions Coilovers (Made by KW) anyone tried?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears the RedBull M4 drift car is running an ST suspension on it. Hopefully gives them a shred of credibility.

2B53514C-E194-43EA-B178-D0726D4D1A4F.jpeg
E48CA0D4-7FEF-41FD-B24E-CC28BEC8905E.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay so, from this video I can ascertain that these shocks will be more built for track days/sportier drives than the comfort set up from MPP. This is somewhat of a deal breaker. But how on earth did they get the exhaust through the rear windshield? Just amazing.

Okay so, from this video I can ascertain that these shocks will be more built for track days/sportier drives than the comfort set up from MPP. This is somewhat of a deal breaker. But how on earth did they get the exhaust through the rear windshield? Just amazing.

Routed inside of the vehicle for more ground clearance.

I mean, to be clear, I have nothing against ST (they are definitely made by KW) and if it was that or, say, UP - I would go with the ST's. But compared to the MPP's, I would want to be saving a good bit to justify running an unproven/unknown product with unknown customer support and unknown setup requirements. To the point you just made, are these more of a "comfort/street" setup or more of a "track" setup? I have no idea.

Reactions: Freshness
Mainly because for the price on my RWD Base model it’s 1620 for non adjustable MPP and 1619 for height + dampening from ST.

So you get more adjustment compared to fixed dampening, which is a plus.

Yes MPP is tried and true, but it should be a bit more compelling knowing that ST isn’t some random China brand. It happens to be from the same company that MPP asked to develop their shocks. That’s the main reason for me to Guinea pig this experiment.

And yes it’s not in stock, but at least you can customize the colors and text haha.

Here are pics of the model 3 with ST coilovers installed at the KW Headquarters in Germany. They sent me these photos, which don’t do much but it’s something.

And cmon guys, resale value? How do we even know that at this point. I’m all for resale value, I collect watches as a hobby. But we don’t know how these perform and no one has ever sold a set.

View attachment 743838

View attachment 743839View attachment 743840
I think you're misunderstanding the notion of the mountain pass kit being "non-adjustable". Height is adjustable shock damping is not on that MPP kit. so the only question is whether or not the ST kit has more than just rebound adjustment. I have no idea why somebody would just have rebound adjustment in their shock kits and I suspect that that's a listing error rather than it being a true description of the kit. The other issue is that mountain pass is famous for their customer service and for how comprehensively they troubleshoot issues before the product comes out. For example lots of other manufacturers offer Springs but often times there's quite a bit of troubleshooting you have to do around spring and suspension noise. That virtually never happens with mountain pass. That's another consideration – how much time do you want to spend troubleshooting suspension noises?

I think you're misunderstanding the notion of the mountain pass kit being "non-adjustable". Height is adjustable shock damping is not on that MPP kit. so the only question is whether or not the ST kit has more than just rebound adjustment. I have no idea why somebody would just have rebound adjustment in their shock kits and I suspect that that's a listing error rather than it being a true description of the kit. The other issue is that mountain pass is famous for their customer service and for how comprehensively they troubleshoot issues before the product comes out. For example lots of other manufacturers offer Springs but often times there's quite a bit of troubleshooting you have to do around spring and suspension noise. That virtually never happens with mountain pass. That's another consideration – how much time do you want to spend troubleshooting suspension noises?

Most single way adjustable shocks are rebound damping, or so i think. But yeah I do see your point. I can only praise MPP even without owning a single product. They seem to be very helpful on here and of course having a stateside (NA) small-business with a phone number helps.

i think I just gotta support them, as everyone has mentioned. They do a lot of good for us here.

do you think the standard comforts for RWD are my best bet?

Last edited:
Most single way adjustable shocks are rebound damping, or so i think. But yeah I do see your point. I can only praise MPP even without owning a single product. They seem to be very helpful on here and of course having a stateside (NA) small-business with a phone number helps.

i think I just gotta support them, as everyone has mentioned. They do a lot of good for us here.

I had the standard Comfort's on my wife's P3D and they were phenomenal. I've got the comfort adjustable on her Performance Y now. I think the big question is whether or not you need the additional corrosion protection.

Nope on that one. Single adjustment shocks almost always integrate compression and rebound adjustment so that the shock is firmed up in both directions. It would be nuts to do just one or the other and call that an adjustable shock. I suppose somebody's probably done that- not sure why you would do that but perhaps the more experienced tuners out there could weigh in on that. My more important caution was that it seemed as though you were assuming the mountain pass non-adjustable Comfort kit did not have height adjustment. That it definitely does. Given that the cost difference between the comfort non-adjustable and the Comfort adjustable is something like 700 bucks, I'd save my money until I can afford the best.

Here's another data point for you - my wife who is no version of a car nut like me loves her MPP comfort adjustables. And these are set kind of midpoint 12/10, not on the super soft "princess and the pea" setting that I expected my wife would have wanted. That's the beauty of the adjustable shocks as you can really set them for very soft even softer than the Comfort non adjustables or pretty firm such that you could track the car.

Ultimately when you're buying a product like this that's probably going to be on the car a long time the most important question to ask is do you know the guys who developed and made this? And what do you know about them? Obviously KW is a highly respected group, but the fine-tuning on this package was done by the guys at Mountain Pass. The guys at Mountain Pass are the best. They are technically, and in terms of track savvy,elite, and you couldn't ask for an outfit with better service or more integrity. That's why they have such an amazingly loyal following here.

How much are you looking to lower your vehicle? That will help to qualify whether or not the non adjustable damper is suitable for you. From the factory you'll see heights vary between 395mm to 405mm from hub to fender. I would say 365mm at the lowest but 370-375mm is a great place for the non adjustables. Ergo, a 1" drop is sufficient. The picture attached is at 370mm hub to fender with some 19x9.5's and 265/35/19 tires for reference. The car is on a slightly declining surface so the car is slightly pitched forward but should give you a general idea.

There are some real benefits to MPP that have already been stated.

1. Customer service
2. Sasha is a mad scientist who spends a lot of time personally testing each kit and producing valving just like you would see a race team R&D a shock. The fact that they are Motec Canada should be proof enough of their abilities. He has even been kind enough to share shock dynos with me which goes to show the amount of confidence and transparency they have in their product. I always tip my hat to companies like that. All data, not fluff.
3. I'm pretty sure that the MPP non adjustable is in fact a ST X body with MPP's custom valving and stroke.
4. After being around off the shelf KW's and MPP's there's definitely an appreciable difference to someone like myself. The "MPP attributes" do make a difference. I believe that MPP has found a great balance between something that can provide great road comfort but also provide great performance, even in their non adjustable comfort damper. It's not floaty by any means and if set to the right height can very much be a performance oriented damper.
5. The one other key difference between MPP and the KW off the shelf stuff is the rear spring. AFAIK and can see, MPP uses a linear rear spring versus KW which uses a progressive rear spring. MPP also uses a unique threaded upper spring perch which references approx a 70mm ID spring so that one can upgrade the lower spring arm to their billet version. In doing so you'll be able to convert to a straight ~ 70mm ID rear spring if you really wanted to play with spring rates. This is not something that can be done with the KW or ST upper spring perch.

I see a lot of back and forth about KW and ST so I'd like to provide my input and hopefully I don't ruffle any feathers. I do not know what internal differences there might be between the two dampers but on the outside it's obvious.

1. KW uses stainless steel bodies and ST uses galvanized steel. There's one place for a cost difference.
2. Ergo, it's plausible that there is some equivalence between these aside from the shock body materials and potentially piston sizing as well as internal materials.

KW V1 = ST X
KW V2 = ST XA

Pic below: 370mm hub to fender reference with an OEM Tire diameter in 19". Don't forget to budget for rear camber arms. I make that a requirement for my guys. All too often have I see a variance in rear camber from the factory before and after lowering. It's too cumbersome to line them up with the lower spring arm at the time of alignment. Car is of a P3D but product is that of a RWD Model 3.

20210821-Fabian P3D CF5V-6.jpg

20210709-Mparaz T6S MPP CNADJ-2.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Mash and dfwatt
I look forward to seeing how these perform. More quality lower end options are a good thing. On the upper end I am also interested to see how the Ohlins perform in a Tesla ecosystem. Cheers
I've run them all on my car and was one of the first on the Ohlins dampers. Great stuff and good friends of mine at Redwood. I think you'll just need to ask yourself whether or not spending an extra $1000 on the Ohlins dampers is justified at the end of the day. You can definitely see where the extra cost comes from. They have spent a lot of money on milling out all the components needed to get these to bolt onto a Tesla. I rather enjoyed them on the street with the performance sport spring rates. My only suggestion is to not get floating top hats as they may clunk over time and it can get pretty annoying in a Tesla.