TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Stability Control?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Cobos, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I'm curious if the Model S V1.0 will have ESP/ESC or whatever they want to call it. Electronic stability control, will actually be required of all new cars in Europe by 2012 I beleive. I've already been in a situation where I would have greatly appreciated having ESP, and thus have woved any new car I buy needs ESP.

Cobos

2. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

I'm sure they will, it would be a "Super Stupid Thing" to not include it. A single handed move from "a must buy" to "no way in hell".

My car has it and it had already saved my ass more than once.
    I don't want to drive a car without it.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I specifically asked Elon about stability control during the press event. It should be on one of the recordings. I think his response was that the car wouldn't need stability control. He then went on to say, "you'd need a spatula to flip this car over." A quote I heard him use again later that evening.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I hope they reconsider. While ESC is great to prevent roll-overs, that's not all it does. Correction for slides, oversteers, etc. are equally important and no low center of gravity will prevent those like ESC can.

5. Cobos

This might be another crash with European car terms and US car terms. In Norway it seems at least the press has settled for the Bosch product name ESP as the catch-all name for this "thingy". As far as I know the ESP does prevent slips and slides. Mostly connected to lack of grip with the tires. On most ICE cars it controls throttle and braking in tandem to make sure you maintain grip. In Norway it's essential for icy curves where you come with too great a speed and it then removes throttle control from you and does a controlled braking to some times.

I drive a car without ESP and I recently on a snowy road ended up slipping and finally came to rest 90 degrees perpendicular to the road in the wrong lane. That was NOT nice, and I know from experience with my driving teacher on his BMW that had ESP that with ESP I most likely would have avoided any slippage.

I really hope this isn't something Musk is stubborn on that is "unneccisary" for the Model S. Both our version of AAA and IIHS stongly advise everyone that buys a new car to make sure it has ESC, and it might be mandatory by 2012 in the EU.

What I am referring to is ESC.

Cobos

6. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

I specifically spoke with Elon on the April 1st visit to Washington about ESC - or what we call ESC in the US. He emphatically said that there are NO PLANS to implement that in either the Roadster or the Model S any time in the near future. I personally was greatly disappointed with this decision. He seems to think that the only thing it effects is roll over and he is dead wrong on that. I am not as much concerned about roll over as I am swerving and fish tailing and emergency handling. Perhaps if enought people ask they will change their minds on it. I think he is missing the bigger point. What about that NO COMPROMISES thing he has going on ..... :redface:

7. efusco

I'm referring to ESC. What you describe above is traction control in the US.

8. efusco

+1, absolutely agree

9. Tdave

Tdave Member

I was standing next to Kevin during this conversation. I walked away :confused:

One of my primary objectives of this conversation was to find out where Tesla stood regarding extending the technology in high performance car control. It starts with stability control in the old ICE way with ABS independently per wheel. The new EV way would be using the combination of BOTH instant power and regen/braking at each wheel to achieve the ultimate in car control. I found out that not only were they not thinking in that direction, but they didn't even see the old school stability control as important, citing the very low center of gravity as why stability control wasn't a priority.

I could take Elon in a ride around a race track in a Roadster Sport to illustrate to him first hand why it's important. Even the Top Gear piece showed why, briefly in one of their scenes.

10. Cobos

I'm not sure... we may be talking about the same thing. If you follow that Wikipedia link I showed, under "Operation" you see a description of what I mean with ESP. I'm afraid I must say if the Model S does not have that functionality it is not safe enough in my eyes to warrant the price they are asking.

There I found the press release from Bosch about the mandatory ESP. Looks like it applies to the US as well?

It seems like Tesla is going to have to comply regardless of what Musk thinks if I'm reading that correctly?

Cobos

11. Kevin Harney

Here is some clarification. The Model S is supposed to have traction control and ABS braking. But here in the US ESC also controls things like pitch and yawl of the car to insure that the way you are pointing the steering wheel is the way that the car actually goes when things are not happening on the road as you planned them in your head. Helpful during things like emergency lane changes and loss of traction in curves. Model S is not supposed to have ESC. Both Traction control and ABS do help you maintain control of the the car but ESC goes way beyond that and makes it a more complete picture of control.

12. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#12 stopcrazypp, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
    I think there's some confusion over stability control versus traction control. It seems like even the roadster has simple traction control, what it doesn't have is stability control (which in addition adds sensors to monitor pitch and yaw like Kevin mentions). Traction control is designed to prevent the car from losing traction in all cases. Stability control prevents the car from skidding after detecting a slide. So the operation is slightly different.

If customers push enough for it, I think Elon will give in. It doesn't seem like it should cost significantly more given all the electronics already on the car. According to the article it costs less than ABS.

13. Cobos

#13 Cobos, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
    Yes Kevin and that is exactly why Euro NCAP does not award any car 5 stars without ESC, if I can read the Euro NCAP tests correctly.
    In the new 2009 tests you need at least 60% in the equipment category for a 5 star rating. Without ESC you loose 3 out of 7 points, and are down to just a possible 4 star rating.
    I might be mistaken but to sell a luxury vehicle in Europe I'd say you NEED at least 4 stars on EuroNCAP. Otherwise we are back to the myth that EVs are unsafe and not meant for high speeds...

Cobos

14. Kevin Harney

I now have it from a reliable source at TM that they are CONSIDERING putting ESC on the Model S but they will not be able to confirm it as a standard feature until 2010 at the earliest.

15. Kevin Harney

Cobos,

Do you have a link to that requirement? That would be GREAT to send to TM. It might help them change their minds to include it. I do now have it from a reliable source at TM that they are CONSIDERING it. They will not be able to confirm it as a feature until 2010 at the earliest.

Kevin

16. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

If ESC is so critical to safety ratings, then I don't think Tesla Motors can ignore this issue. They have to meet some basic standards for safety. TM should not give them any extra excuses for badmouthing the Model S in terms of safety.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#17 AnOutsider, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
    Forgive me, but ESC? Sorry new here.

18. WarpedOne

ESC = Electronic Stability Control
    Called also ESP, VDC, etc.

19. WarpedOne

#19 WarpedOne, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
    From Wikipedia:
    There is a link to NHTSA rule 126 Part 49 CFR Parts 571 & 585 that says:

20. Kevin Harney

Thanks I sent that paragraph to TM as well. Looks like it will be REQUIRED by the time Model S hits the streets.