TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Stagger or no Stagger?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jlucero, Jun 23, 2015.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

for those of you with 20 inch rims or 21 inch aftermarket rims, who staggers and who does not stagger? any opinions either way?

main disadvantage of staggering is no ability to rotate tires.

thanks!

2. SherSlick

SherSlick Member

Honestly I love the staggered fit look. I wouldn't have it any other way on a high performance car. Now I just wish the width of the rears were wider.

3. Firewired

Firewired Member

I have the OEM staggered 21"s. Seriously considering downsizing to a non-staggered.

4. jlucero

jlucero Member

why? why dont you like the stagger? im considering going no stagger so i can preserve my tires longer.

5. polything

polything Member

what wheels you have right now?
    i would advise against the stagger due to the fact that you can not rotate the tires.

6. jlucero

jlucero Member

my tesla is on order, and i got the basic 19 inch wheels. i am looking at getting aftermarket wheels, either 20 or 21 inch, staggered vs nonstaggered....

7. gnelson

gnelson Member

I have 21 OEM staggered wheels. I would replace with 20" staggered wheels if I could find turbine wheels similar to my grey 21" wheels.

8. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Love my staggered p85+ I have hankooks with 275 on the backs, no real spin out anymore since switching from pilots

9. DougH

DougH Active Member

Just say no to staggered.

10. PhinFL

PhinFL Member

I pick up my S85D tomorrow with the standard 19's. I had originally ordered the 21's but figured for $4500 I can get a nice set of 20's cheaper. I ordered a set of staggered 20x9, 20x10.5 +35 Forgestar F14s. As it was mentioned earlier.. I just love how the car sits with the staggered set up. Definitely a trade-off with the inability to rotate. Getting them in mid-July so will post some pics after they are installed.

11. jlucero

jlucero Member

im in almost the exact same boat....im most likely ordering 20x9, 20x10 staggered ADV10 MV2s tomorrow, which wont arrive until august. ditto on the not spending of $4500 on tesla wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

just curious, whats the reason to go from 21 stagger to 20 stagger?

12. PhinFL

PhinFL Member

Nice wheels.. can't wait to see pics.

13. jlucero

jlucero Member

yours as well!

14. gnelson

gnelson Member

I can buy 20 in 265 Michelin Pilot Super Sport rear tires. With 21 in wheels, I have 245's on the rear. I much prefer the Pilot Super Sport to the Pilot Sport 2.

15. jlucero

jlucero Member

would you guys rather have 21's and NO STAGGER (245/35/21 on all 4) or 20's with stagger (245/35/20 and 275/35/20)?

16. gnelson

gnelson Member

You won't have the same profile on 20 in vs 21. If you have 20 in wheels you will have a little more sidewall. I prefer staggered and would prefer 20 in wheels with a little more sidewall. 20 in wheels are a great compromise between the 19 in wheels and the 21 in wheels. Unfortunately I can't find staggered 20 in turbine wheels.

17. ra-san

ra-san Member

In other threads on this topic, rotating the tires left to right on the rear was mentioned as being doable and safe despite the usual stated rule not to. Note I mean keeping direction of rotation the same (though that too was discussed) which means remounting the tires, not just swapping the wheels with tires from one side to the other.

I was intrigued, but don't feel like I have enough information to form a basis for whether this is really safe and worth doing. If it is, could help mitigate some of the drawbacks of a staggered configure.

18. jlucero

jlucero Member

just purchased ADV10 MV2 matte black 20's.....20x9, 20x10.5....tires are 245/35/20, and 275/35/20...cant wait for them to come in!

19. PhinFL

PhinFL Member

Stellar! Be sure you post some pics. What color is your MS?

20. jlucero

jlucero Member

MS black, wheels will be black, and chrome will be dipped black as well...