TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Staggered set up on August 2015 P85D

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by blanche, Sep 1, 2015.

1. blanche

blanche Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Since Tesla has no written guidance as to what tires they put on their wheels on the design studio, let alone if the tires are staggered or squared up, here is my data point. My early Aug 2015 P85D has this set up on the 21" grey turbines:

Michelin Pilot Sport
    Front: 245/35 ZR21 (96Y) Extra Load
    Rear: 265/35 ZR21 (101Y) Extra Load

Guess that rules out tire rotation, but then again I haven't had a car in the last 10+ years that did NOT have a staggered set up and permitted rotation.

I'm used to swapping out wheels for winter tires and my expectation is to drop down to 19" Rials with X-Ice for the winter. That's what I have going on my BMW and that seems to handle Virginia snow pretty well.

In general I hate the mushy feel of 19" tires (let alone snow tires), but the 21" summer Pilot Sports seem to give me enough of a road feel to be happy. I'm coming from Porsches so I get uncomfortable if I can't feel the road under the tires.

Just finished a round trip road trip between NoVA and Philly and I was extremely pleased with the road handling ability of this tire/wheel set up. The major interstates were perfect but I had to keep my eyes open on Philly side roads to avoid pot holes.
  2. marty2112

marty2112 Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Petaluma, CA

I saw a couple P90Ds in Fremont last week. All had staggered PSSs....

Attached Files:

3. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

Apr 16, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Really? Pilot Super Sports (PSS)? Or Pilot Sport 2s (PS2)?

I probably sound like I'm being really nitpicky but there's an ongoing rumour that TM are switching from PS2 to PSS (which would be a very good thing) so it does make a difference!

The P cars are definitely all back to being staggered again when ordered with 21" wheels.