Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggered tire setup for P3D- with 18-inch Aeros

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I replaced the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires with a staggered set of Pilot Sport 4S tires.

The staggered setup consists of 265/40/ZR18 and 235/45/ZR18. This staggered setup features the same diameter so no speedometer issues.

I love this setup. To me, it’s the best setup for the P3D-. You get to keep the efficient Aeros and wheel covers for traveling, which is great for the less efficient P3D. You get tires that are much more capable in the summer, they’re so sticky, it’s great for launches out of corners.

I think the extra wide tires on the rear look awesome as well. I think it plays along nicely with the “stealth” performance theme.

The one thing that would complete the look are the comfort coilovers from MPP. Looking into those as a possibility for the future.

What do you guys and gals think?

8C0932FA-4490-4587-884E-DD5B0B0EF26E.jpeg B6BBB74E-E3EF-453F-8B95-861B77B1DDE1.jpeg 0F612454-A829-4DB4-89F1-6340604AA56E.jpeg 82C56738-116B-41A0-BC9B-8A27941AE498.jpeg ADE8B6E8-3DF8-44B2-8C98-02C734F45956.jpeg F80091DB-85DE-4BBB-800D-B19861B02443.jpeg

Attachments

• B0CFB477-A4BB-43B2-B71C-918E4FD9ABDE.jpeg
    B0CFB477-A4BB-43B2-B71C-918E4FD9ABDE.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 2DBEB602-C7C7-4D2A-AF54-9CA81A36BF83.jpeg
    2DBEB602-C7C7-4D2A-AF54-9CA81A36BF83.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 115
Great setup! Debated this route as well as I was in the P3D- phase (swapped to + last minute)

The efficiency comes more from the choice of tires than the wheels themselves. Interested to hear how the noise compares with the acoustic MXM4s versus non acoustic PS4S. Do you hear a difference? Also would love to know your Wh/miles before and after as well.

I think running 265mm width tires on 8.5" width rims is going to be a bit squirrelly but it's certainly better to have them on the back rather than the front!
Yeah, it's slightly out of OEM spec, but I honestly think it will be fine. The guy who put them on said as much. Tires Rack actually recommends this as an "alternative" setup, so if they co-sign it, I think it's good. But you're right, if I want to stay true to OEM, 265 is a bit too wide.

Great setup! Debated this route as well as I was in the P3D- phase (swapped to + last minute)

The efficiency comes more from the choice of tires than the wheels themselves. Interested to hear how the noise compares with the acoustic MXM4s versus non acoustic PS4S. Do you hear a difference? Also would love to know your Wh/miles before and after as well.
I think the PS4S are just a hair louder, but it's almost unnoticeable. The foam doesn't make much of a difference in my opinion. Unfortunately I swapped these almost immediately, so I didn't get to compare Wh/mile. But these do decent. If I drive like I have some sense, I can get around ~260 Wh/mile.

Personal preference I get but from a performance standpoint I can't see why you'd need a staggered setup. You'll never break traction with AWD, so no need for the wider rears. Even on the track, I'd wager than a square 235 setup would handle better than a staggered setup with 265 on the same 8.5 rim. The 265 on the 8.5 rim may feel a bit squirrelly, and wider tires in the rear may encourage the car to understeer.

Personal preference I get but from a performance standpoint I can't see why you'd need a staggered setup. You'll never break traction with AWD, so no need for the wider rears. Even on the track, I'd wager than a square 235 setup would handle better than a staggered setup with 265 on the same 8.5 rim. The 265 on the 8.5 rim may feel a bit squirrelly, and wider tires in the rear may encourage the car to understeer.

I'm running a squared 235/40/19 setup with zero issues on a P3D-.

you said "You'll never break traction with AWD" but is that mainly due to the traction control?

i was just guessing that better grip might unlock more power because the traction control system wouldn't kick in.

If you increase grip on the rear without doing anything to the front you induce understeer, which is not desirable. Planning a good handling setup is about balance, not just fitting the widest tire you can in whatever place it will fit. Personally I'd never run a staggered setup on AWD, but that's me. Others may have different ideas and/or priorities. Other than doing it for looks (which maybe that's the point?), I don't see the benefit of this. Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perry
Personally I'd never run a staggered setup on AWD, but that's me. Others may have different ideas and/or priorities. Other than doing it for looks (which maybe that's the point?), I don't see the benefit of this. Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.
Totally agree, but clearly the Model 3 is designed to fit 235 fronts and 275 rears. Those are what was on the '16 reveal cars and, oh by the way, Michelin makes a Tesla-spec 275 PS4S 20" tire. Michelin doesn't do that just to sell to the aftermarket. We're going to see a staggered Model 3 Perf option from Tesla in the future.

Last week I replaced the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires with a staggered set of Pilot Sport 4S tires.

The staggered setup consists of 265/40/ZR18 and 235/45/ZR18. This staggered setup features the same diameter so no speedometer issues.

I love this setup. To me, it’s the best setup for the P3D-. You get to keep the efficient Aeros and wheel covers for traveling, which is great for the less efficient P3D. You get tires that are much more capable in the summer, they’re so sticky, it’s great for launches out of corners.

I think the extra wide tires on the rear look awesome as well. I think it plays along nicely with the “stealth” performance theme.

The one thing that would complete the look are the comfort coilovers from MPP. Looking into those as a possibility for the future.

What do you guys and gals think?

View attachment 441512 View attachment 441514 View attachment 441515 View attachment 441516 View attachment 441517 View attachment 441518

Nice. How are you protecting your paint? PPF?