Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggered tire setup for P3D- with 18-inch Aeros

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally agree, but clearly the Model 3 is designed to fit 235 fronts and 275 rears. Those are what was on the '16 reveal cars and, oh by the way, Michelin makes a Tesla-spec 275 PS4S 20" tire. Michelin doesn't do that just to sell to the aftermarket. We're going to see a staggered Model 3 Perf option from Tesla in the future.
275 already fits (barely) under the stock front fenders. Hopefully they'll just put slightly wider fenders in front and go 275 square. Staggered wheels make no sense on an AWD car with 50/50 weight distribution.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
275 already fits (barely) under the stock front fenders. Hopefully they'll just put slightly wider fenders in front and go 275 square. Staggered wheels make no sense on an AWD car with 50/50 weight distribution.
275 tires don't have adequate front clearance for an OEM setup. Clearly the car wasn't designed for that width on the front, unlike the rears. I don't get the logic either from a performance perspective but yet here we are.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Sorry still didn't get any full car pics yet. Will have some soon. Here's another I took recently in the meantime.
DSC00017.JPG

Last week I replaced the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires with a staggered set of Pilot Sport 4S tires.

The staggered setup consists of 265/40/ZR18 and 235/45/ZR18. This staggered setup features the same diameter so no speedometer issues.

I love this setup. To me, it’s the best setup for the P3D-. You get to keep the efficient Aeros and wheel covers for traveling, which is great for the less efficient P3D. You get tires that are much more capable in the summer, they’re so sticky, it’s great for launches out of corners.

I think the extra wide tires on the rear look awesome as well. I think it plays along nicely with the “stealth” performance theme.

The one thing that would complete the look are the comfort coilovers from MPP. Looking into those as a possibility for the future.

What do you guys and gals think?

View attachment 441512 View attachment 441514 View attachment 441515 View attachment 441516 View attachment 441517 View attachment 441518
I like the 265 in the rear but I would have gotten 265 in the front too. In fact that's what I did for myself. The model 3's handling is very balanced so keeping a square setup has been recommended by most in the know to prevent under/over steer especially on an AWD car.

The other issue is that PS4S tires have a poor tread ware rating of 200. But if you have 265 all around, the grip the extra 30mm provides allows you to get away with a longer tread ware (500) tire like the Michelin PS A/S 3+ and still achieve a similar amount of grip lasting longer.

Last edited:
i was thinking mainly of best 0-60 launches in a straight line. 99% of the time i drive like a grandpa but occasionally i need to pwn a mustang or subaru wrx at a red light.

when i watched a couple youtube reviews i realized most performance tire buyers care about cornering.