TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Staggered tire setup for P3D- with 18-inch Aeros

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Jefsla, Aug 13, 2019.

1. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Staggered actually does make sense on a Performance if you're tracking it.

with Track Mode on, the power is heavily rear-biased. I can see where the extra grip in back would help.

Not so much on daily driving, though.

2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

275 already fits (barely) under the stock front fenders. Hopefully they'll just put slightly wider fenders in front and go 275 square. Staggered wheels make no sense on an AWD car with 50/50 weight distribution.

• Informative x 1
  3. Daniel in SD

As far as I know all the people running the fastest lap times are running square setups.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

Because the wheel weight (and friction) is (are) less?

5. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I'm not sure I've seen a breakdown on tire setups. Just if it was an AWD or a P.

6. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

275 tires don't have adequate front clearance for an OEM setup. Clearly the car wasn't designed for that width on the front, unlike the rears. I don't get the logic either from a performance perspective but yet here we are.

7. Daniel in SD

More likely because the car understeers with wider tires on the rear.
    MPP used 18x10.5 square for their record setting run.
    MPP Visits Laguna Seca and Has a Record-Setting Party

• Informative x 1
  8. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

So, friction then.

9. Jefsla

Jefsla Member

Sorry still didn't get any full car pics yet. Will have some soon. Here's another I took recently in the meantime.
    DSC00017.JPG

10. Perry

Perry Active Member

#30 Perry, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    I like the 265 in the rear but I would have gotten 265 in the front too. In fact that's what I did for myself. The model 3's handling is very balanced so keeping a square setup has been recommended by most in the know to prevent under/over steer especially on an AWD car.

The other issue is that PS4S tires have a poor tread ware rating of 200. But if you have 265 all around, the grip the extra 30mm provides allows you to get away with a longer tread ware (500) tire like the Michelin PS A/S 3+ and still achieve a similar amount of grip lasting longer.

11. idog63

idog63 Member

i was thinking mainly of best 0-60 launches in a straight line. 99% of the time i drive like a grandpa but occasionally i need to pwn a mustang or subaru wrx at a red light.

when i watched a couple youtube reviews i realized most performance tire buyers care about cornering.