Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggered tires or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rodolfo Paiz

Fidelius Family Office
Nov 19, 2012
Miami, FL
I could use some advice from the brain trust here, please. I'm about to upgrade to one of the new Model S P100D's with Ludicrous. I'm also considering a change to these 20" T Sportline wheels and Michelin PS4S tires.

For street and highway driving, in order to get the best possible performance (defined as overall road-holding in turns and stops, with acceleration a secondary concern), would the best choice be a staggered setup with 9" wheels and 245/40 tires in front plus 10" wheels and 275/40 tires in back? Or would it be best to stick with a square setup where all wheels are 9" and all tires are 245/20?

More broadly, for which purposes or under which circumstances is each setup recommended?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rodolfo, in my humble opinion:

Staggered - looks better, more aggressive.
Non-staggered - more practical, can easily rotate tires, tire choices might be easier, as looking for one size, verse two, wheels might be cheaper, tires might be cheaper etc.

From a performance standpoint, I imagine in theory, wider wheels in the back is supposed to net you more traction, thus better acceleration times. But with the Tesla's awd, I think this point is negligible.

Again, the above are my opinions. Personally, I like the staggered look, but wouldn't change my wheels if they were squared, or vice versa. For you, I think it's really personal opinion.

What little I know, or think I know, squares up perfectly with what you've suggested, Zishan. Thanks for your input. I hope others with more experience and knowledge will also chime in to help us understand the pros/cons better.

With staggered, will you feel a difference in handling? Probably not. Will you see the difference in the way your car looks? Absolutely.

I have staggered with the same tires you listed, but with 8.5" rims up front and 275/35 on the back.
Most people get 9" up front but I went with 8.5" for the added rim protection. While I have not compared 2 rims side by side, I highly doubt the face(dish) of the rim looks any different.
The 275 on the back still looks a little stretched for my liking so when it wears out, I will get either 285 or 295.