Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggered tires rotation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go to any tire manufacturer site and you will see that tires should be rotated every 5,000 to 7,500; there is no harm in rotating them while not doing so causes uneven wear. Where I live Discount Tire rotates them for free.

The only tires that cannot be rotated are those that are both staggered and directional. Your staggered tires are rotated on the same axel, left / right.

Reactions: Pcm888usa
It is safer not to rotate tires because there will be a time when the tires need to re-seat to have the best grip and full tread on the road, somewhat compromising handling temporarily after rotation. It is more economical to rotate tires, and may lengthen the tread life. Swapping tires left to right and right to left seems even less beneficial unless you are making more right or left turns or cornering more one direction.

In the case of staggered tires, if the tread depth is wearing equally on an axle, why would you bother swapping the sides with each other? BMW used to recommend not rotating tires for the safety reason. If you buy tires primarily based on their tread life and economy, and not on their handling, you might wish to rotate your tires.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
@DerbyDave. Interesting, however in normal use the tire that wears the most is the right front, which is why a full 4-tire rotation is recommended, where possible. If someone wants to put off rotations then they need to monitor tread depth, and not just eyeball it. But the choice is up to each of us, as it should be. ;)

Reactions: DerbyDave
It is safer not to rotate tires because there will be a time when the tires need to re-seat to have the best grip and full tread on the road, somewhat compromising handling temporarily after rotation. It is more economical to rotate tires, and may lengthen the tread life. Swapping tires left to right and right to left seems even less beneficial unless you are making more right or left turns or cornering more one direction.

In the case of staggered tires, if the tread depth is wearing equally on an axle, why would you bother swapping the sides with each other? BMW used to recommend not rotating tires for the safety reason. If you buy tires primarily based on their tread life and economy, and not on their handling, you might wish to rotate your tires.
Now a more theoretical question. What is the benefit of staggering the tires, especially for AWD. Also with Tesla monitoring the traction and sends out warning notice that cannot be removed, I would be more hesitant to touch the tires.

I specifically asked this question at the local service center and they told me not to rotate the tires for the refreshed S, not even swapping sides.
I have never been impressed with the level of knowledge of people at an SC.if you do not rotate them then the right front will wear out quicker than the left requiring an early tire replacement of both front tires

I would do what the manual says.

Last edited:
I have never been impressed with the level of knowledge of people at an SC.if you do not rotate them then the right front will wear out quicker than the left requiring an early tire replacement of both front tires

I would do what the manual says.
We also have to consider wheel alignment vs. normal wear and tear. If the wheels are misaligned, rotating tires will even out the wearing. A lot of folks will get an alignment right after tires are replaced. I hate to see one side has good thread and the other needs replacement and I must replace them both. So, rotating them to even out may not be a bad idea.

My MS got 20,000 on the first set. My tire guys said it was mostly because the car came with low quality tires. Apparently a common tactic to save a few bucks. Amaxing how cheap Tesla is on expensive cars.
My 2022 MS LR comes with Pirelli P-Zero which I consider them as high end tires. The issue is MS is heavy car. If they put on Summer tires which have soft compound, they wear out quickly.