Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggering amount of issues found at/after delivery. Considering returning the car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know. He accepted a deeply flawed car from a deeply flawed salesman knowing full well the issues. Later complains about it. Tesla gives him a full refund and even picks the car up for him so he doesn’t have to drive it back. You think Audi would do the same? Hell no

I've never had an Audi, nor do I have an interest in one. But, from just reading this forum, and perusing audiworld.com, I think it's fair to say that Audi would never have produced, let alone even attempted to deliver a vehicle with so many issues like OP's vehicle.

Based on the trucking receipt I found online, the car has been stuck in Lathrop for almost two months and seems to still be there, in which case there's no way it can make the delivery appointment.

FYI: my trucking receipt indicated that my M3P+ was sitting at BNSF's Oakland railhead for a couple of weeks. In fact, it's still there according to the receipt. Yet, I took delivery last night.

I think that the truck delivery tracker is very accurate: it shows where that company is taking your vehicle. After that, your vehicle "vanishes", unless you know how to track the next segment, e.g., the train shipment itself (which I don't).

Alan

Now I'm gonna get the C63 AMG from wifey as my daily driver! Too bad I sold the Volt. Would have loved an EV as daily driver which the Tesla was intended for. Well, only one year until the Audi arrives I guess.

Too bad they weren't being any more proactive despite the host of issues. The only options were return & refund and keeping the crap car & getting a laughable price adjustment. You'd think they would have at least offered some color upgrades or costless concessions e.g. vaporware FSD "upgrade" on a new car. Well I did ask and they said no. Their loss.
That really is a shame that they couldn’t have done something for you. I just don’t understand why they’d want to lose a customer?

This type of fanboyism is what turns people away from this brand.

First of all, any reputable car brand won't let this crap happen in the first place---all cars purchased from manufacturers will be meticulously examined and bad apples won't be delivered to customers. Delivering a crappy/damaged car to customers then taking it back isn't good customer service. It's crappy service because the customer is not supposed to get that crappy product in the first place.

Second, the sheer amount of incompetence, unprofessionalism and lack of communication is shocking for ANY COMPANY, not to mention an aspiring premium auto maker. I seriously doubt many of their target customers would tolerate this crap, having been accustomed to the stellar service from their competitors. Again, if we are paying premium dollars for a product, we expect the quality and service to match.

Tesla is currently lacking in both and yet in order to survive, they have to successfully steal large enough market share from premium auto makers. They have a lot to learn from them on both quality control and proper delivery experience. I doubt they will be able to get it right before 2019, so my money is solidly with their competitors. I'm not a Tesla fanboy or EV enthusiast. I just want a fun, premium car that drives well. For that I have a lot of choices, and with competing EVs coming out, my choice set is expanding every day.

They already successfully turned away one customer and I doubt I'll be the only one.

Get off your high horse for two freaking seconds... You are not entitled anything and never were in the first place. Should Tesla have delivered that car to you? No, absolutely not. Are you milking this for everything you possibly can? Absolutely.

Tesla took the car back, offered to build you a new one. What more did you want? A personal call from Elon?

Tesla isn't a perfect company, I'm quite frustrated myself trying to get ANYONE from Tesla to respond to a single email about my supposed Model X delivery coming up on Friday. That being said, my Model S is amazing and I couldn't ever see myself owning another car from another car brand ever again... Just the thought of having to navigate the BS that stealerships throw at you is nauseating enough.

The beauty here is everyone is free to make their own choices, no doubt. Enjoy your Audi that you can't take anywhere because there's no place to charge it...

Jeff

I've never had an Audi, nor do I have an interest in one. But, from just reading this forum, and perusing audiworld.com, I think it's fair to say that Audi would never have produced, let alone even attempted to deliver a vehicle with so many issues like OP's vehicle.

This. ^

I'm on my fourth Audi in a row and have been treated quite well by my dealer and my cars have been both very good and well looked after. The dealership where I bought my cars has always been good while others that I interacted with were utter crap. The thing is, I had choice. Where I now live, with Tesla, I have none as there's one single location in the entire metropolitan area. If those guys are sketchy, it will make for a pretty horrible ownership experience. The thing is, if this is what they're attempting to deliver, I'm dreading the prospect of dealing with warranty issues or, $DEITY forbid, a collision repair.

Still cheering for team Tesla but it's disheartening to see such quality and process failures.

Get off your high horse for two freaking seconds... You are not entitled anything and never were in the first place. Should Tesla have delivered that car to you? No, absolutely not. Are you milking this for everything you possibly can? Absolutely.

Tesla took the car back, offered to build you a new one. What more did you want? A personal call from Elon?

Tesla isn't a perfect company, I'm quite frustrated myself trying to get ANYONE from Tesla to respond to a single email about my supposed Model X delivery coming up on Friday. That being said, my Model S is amazing and I couldn't ever see myself owning another car from another car brand ever again... Just the thought of having to navigate the BS that stealerships throw at you is nauseating enough.

The beauty here is everyone is free to make their own choices, no doubt. Enjoy your Audi that you can't take anywhere because there's no place to charge it...

Jeff

Agreed 100% Well said

This. ^

I'm on my fourth Audi in a row and have been treated quite well by my dealer and my cars have been both very good and well looked after. The dealership where I bought my cars has always been good while others that I interacted with were utter crap. The thing is, I had choice. Where I now live, with Tesla, I have none as there's one single location in the entire metropolitan area. If those guys are sketchy, it will make for a pretty horrible ownership experience. The thing is, if this is what they're attempting to deliver, I'm dreading the prospect of dealing with warranty issues or, $DEITY forbid, a collision repair.

Still cheering for team Tesla but it's disheartening to see such quality and process failures.

Still cheering for team Audi but it's disheartening to see such quality and process failures.

Reactions: neroden

Jeff

As mentioned above:

I had more trouble with my 1 Audi than any of my Tesla's. I knew that transmission was going to fail. I took video evidence of the car not shifting gears and showed it to two Audi dealers. None of them could find a problem and warranty was about to run out. Dumped it.

Anyway @fnce_prof is free to do what he wants. I myself see the supercharging extension on the P Model till tonight as a gift and a sign on upgrading over the C63 AMG.

That's me though.

The universe does not allow hotness without craziness.

Everyone should settle down though, no need to get upset over someone's choice.

Tesla will do fine and I expect business to carry on as normal in 2019.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
...unless you want to drive more than ~120 miles away from home.
Quite interesting. Tesla took the vehicle back. Even picked it up. Gave him a full refund. The poster suddenly becomes an Audi fan
As mentioned above:

Tesla went above and beyond any other auto manufacturer. I think we should have some appreciation for that. As far as quality is concerned, no automaker can produce perfection every time. Some get through the cracks. Check out all the issues with the 2018 Ford F-150

2018 Ford F-150 problems

As mentioned above:

The problem is if the brand is primarily sold to enthusiasts who are a lot more tolerant of its problems, the brand will remain a niche/enthusiast brand. The market, however, is expecting a lot more and both Tesla and the enthusiasts are underestimating how "demanding" the "regular" customers would be.

It's funny cuz a couple of years ago I did a consulting project with a partner of Tesla's and visited their NUMMI facility. Back then they were hiring experienced GM/Ford folks like crazy and I thought the production issues would be addressed relatively quickly. My impression was that they were a great technology innovator that had a lot to learn on the manufacturing process--how to build cars--but they would get there. Now that they have "ramped up", they need to learn how to properly sell cars, and quick.

Last edited:
The problem is if the brand is primarily sold to enthusiasts who are a lot more tolerant of its problems, the brand will remain a niche/enthusiast brand. The market, however, is expecting a lot more and both Tesla and the enthusiasts are underestimating how "demanding" the "regular" customers would be.

Everyone was a "regular" customer before they were a niche/enthusiast customer.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA