TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Staining on chrome window trim

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by tpoz, Sep 21, 2019.

1. tpoz

tpoz Member

I am having bad pasty white staining on some of the window trim. See these photos. Some of the trim is fine, and other sections are all stained. Has anyone else seen this?

Attached Files:

2. alexgr

alexgr Member

Jes, do you have a green car? :)

I just coated my car including trim with some ceramic wax. I hope it will preserve the trim.
    Have you applied anything to your trim before? Have you tried anything (polished, etc.) on your trim?

3. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

In my experience that looks like some type of acidic cleaner stained it.

4. rogbmurray

rogbmurray Member

I experienced this problem after 3 months of ownership. After much research with Tesla, escalating to their engineering team, and providing the ingredients for every product used on my vehicle, the problem was identified. The rear window trim is made with a stamping process much different than all other areas of the vehicle.

This is why the finish only changes on that area. The stamping process used cannot come in contact with a PH level higher than 13. I spoke with my local showroom where they shared this information from other owner complaints. (They have an internal case logging area)

I had taken my car to a touchless car wash a fair amount, it utilized simonez products. I used touchless as recommended in the car manual. What I was not aware of is that every touchless wash uses a high and low PH soap to remove grime and dirt. The simonez soap product (quest/mayhem) has a 13.XX PH level. Above the Tesla threshold that owners are not made aware of.

I was advised this defect was not covered by warranty but fortunately after a bit of back and forth, they chose to make a goodwill repair this one time with the caveat to only use products below that PH level as it would not be repaired again.

The recommendation from the advisor is to first ask the facility the list of products they are using and confirm the PH level before use. That really did not seem reasonable so I’ve purchased PH balanced products to wash the car at home moving forward.

Hope this helps clarify why this is happening for you all!

Attached Files:

5. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

Not chrome. It’s anodized. Very different stuff than chrome.