Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stalls blocked by Tesla Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My chargeport door won't open unless car is unlocked.
Try harder. Try to wake the car with phone up (don't unlock it, just connect to it) first so you don't have to wait for it wake up. Then wave the UMC behind the car (antenna is in the rear window of the MS), or wherever it usually works when car is unlocked. If that works, it will open while locked too, just have to be patient for the car to wake (and make sure I registers the signal, since there is no visual indicator).

If my door handles aren't out the charge port door won't open. But as whitex points out, if I wave my charge cord around my rear liftgate window it will wake up the car and open the chargeport door and allow charging. Learn something new everyday!

Last edited:
Why would they? Keeping the car unplugged in an SC spot is how people cheat their way out of idle fees to begin with.

Aside from the idiots just parking in a charging stall, I’d imagine people in general would want their chargeport locked for security reasons.

Are you ok with anyone having access to your chargeport?

And the best way to deter people from parking in a stall would be to enforce towing.

Aside from the idiots just parking in a charging stall, I’d imagine people in general would want their chargeport locked for security reasons.

Are you ok with anyone having access to your chargeport?

And the best way to deter people from parking in a stall would be to enforce towing.

I have absolutely no problem with it. It has worked this way since the beginning. I would actually dislike it if they changed it - my kids and I plug my wife's car in the garage when we walk by, it would suck to have go in the house trying to find the key each time. It takes a UMC or SC to open your charge port. So it really only can happen at superchargers. If you don't like your port opened, just keep your car plugged in when parked at a charger. Sounds simple.

Ps) if you're thinking someone carrying an UMC and and portable AC power just to open charge ports, IIRC they are not actually lockable, they are held by a magnet to you could pry it open if you really wanted. And even if you open, what then? It gives you nothing to have access there. If you're thining vandalism, we'll, you can key the car quicker, easier and cause more damage.

IIRC they are not actually lockable, they are held by a magnet to you could pry it open if you really wanted. And even if you open, what then? It gives you nothing to have access there. If you're thining vandalism, we'll, you can key the car quicker, easier and cause more damage.
That is true, it can just be forcefully pried open. There is data accessible from the chargeport, I relate it to a USB, however on the car the data available might be limited to what the VIN number is, charge rate, etc,.

BTW I am thinking really devious thoughts - some sort of contraption to force battery overload, resulting in your car exploding :D

Who needs a hoodie? There are 1001 uses for duct tape.
duct tape contraband.jpg

Reactions: brkaus
Try harder. Try to wake the car with phone up (don't unlock it, just connect to it) first so you don't have to wait for it wake up. Then wave the UMC behind the car (antenna is in the rear window of the MS), or wherever it usually works when car is unlocked. If that works, it will open while locked too, just have to be patient for the car to wake (and make sure I registers the signal, since there is no visual indicator).

I can confirm that the charge port on my 2014 P85D stays locked as long as the car is locked. Just went out and tapped the port for about two minutes, and it wouldn't open. Then connected via the app, didn't open. Then vented the roof, closed the roof, opened the trunk, closed the trunk and the port would not open at any of those intervals.

Having the port unlock simply because you wake the car up sounds like a bug (even if you prefer it to act that way).

I can confirm that the charge port on my 2014 P85D stays locked as long as the car is locked. Just went out and tapped the port for about two minutes, and it wouldn't open. Then connected via the app, didn't open. Then vented the roof, closed the roof, opened the trunk, closed the trunk and the port would not open at any of those intervals.

Having the port unlock simply because you wake the car up sounds like a bug (even if you prefer it to act that way).
They are saying with the button in the UMC, WC, or SpC wand.

Reactions: mongo and RAW84