Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standalone electric meter + charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi forum. I'm looking for some options for a charger installation at a seasonal cottage. I currently have a 50A plug installed at the panel, but the location is less than ideal. I'd like to install a charger at a location away from the panel if possible at a reasonable cost. I had an electrician give me a rough quote to replace the existing 100A service with a new 200A drop with a main panel that would have a circuit for the charger (off the new main near the new meter), and a separate 100A circuit over to the existing main panel of the cottage. (the ideal charger location is pretty close to the utility pole where the service comes from, so the new meter and main panel would go there). The cost was pretty high to do that.

As a Plan B I'm considering a second 100A service dedicated to the charger. It's not as ideal because this charger wouldn't be used that often and the utility company charges a minimum ($20/month I think it was) for just having a service even if you don't use any power. Anyway, depending on the install cost this still might make sense.

My question to the forum is if anyone has a suggestion on the simplest / most cost-effective way to install a standalone service meter + charger. Conceptually it seems like something like this meter pedestal with the charger mounted right onto it (i.e. where the outlets are shown, or maybe below that flipup cover) would be a good option:

ge-temporary-power-distribution-ge1lm032es-64_1000.jpg

GE RV Earth Buried Pedastal 100 Amp 120/240-Volt Metered with 30 and 20 Amp GCFI Circuit Protected Receptacles-GE1LM032ES - The Home Depot

Has anyone done something like this that they could share? Any other options that I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance.....

I wouldn't do the second meter, $20 a month is forever. If the 50A plug is working with the cottage load I'd just pull new wire and a plug at the desired location. If not then a new 200A panel is the best solution.

I wouldn't do the second meter, $20 a month is forever. If the 50A plug is working with the cottage load I'd just pull new wire and a plug at the desired location. If not then a new 200A panel is the best solution.

Unfortunately due to the location trenching a line from the main panel to where I'd like the charger to be is complicated, hence looking at these other options.

Not sure about other jurisdictions, but in Ontario, Canada it is usually not permitted to have two or more separate services to a property.

That's interesting - that never even occurred to me! I doubt the second service would make sense anyway due to the fixed cost ... but I'll keep that aspect in mind as well.

I wonder if that's a restriction on separate services to the same building / structure (for grounding / shutoff / safety reasons). In this case if I were to go that route the second service would be in a completely separate area from the primary one.....