Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standar Range Plus or Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So appreciate it's totally subjective, but just wondered which model people were going for in the UK and their thought process. I keep switching between both! I know the difference between the partial and full premium and the lack of connectivity annoys me, but not sure I want to pay £10k more, even with the extra range. Any thoughts...?

If you don’t need the range the SR+ is the best option! It’s plenty quick has a decent interior and I would hope premium connectivity will be a pay as you go option added in the future, can be changed through a software update and added SIM card.

The only think I will say you might miss if the All wheel drive that the LR offers its amazing in bad and wet weather with not much performance compromise

Have dropped you a message if you want to chat

I would have preferred to get the SR+, its more in line with my £££ preferences, plenty fast, and the reduction of features don't really bother me. BUT, I used abetterrouteplanner to do common trip simulations (visiting parents, common work trips etc) and I found that the SR+ couldn't reliably do one of my common trips in bad weather without a stop for a charge, but all the others could. Edinburgh to Inverness, with a headwind and in the winter _needs_ a stop. And its not that I would do that without a stop normally, but the SC's aren't where we would normally stop - having to pull into a hotel in Avimore for 15 minutes, when you are only 30 mins short of your destination was going to be too annoying.

If there had been a Mid range or LR RWD option I would have taken either of those too. The MR can make Inverness and only adds ~30 mins extra stop time even to a country spanning road trip. Which would have to be southbound where there are plenty of charger options. Even just plugging in while you navigate a young family to the toilets and back is enough to keep you going, add in a stop for lunch and you can arrive pretty much anywhere with charge to spare.

Even heading north, as I do some times, to get up past Ullapool from Edinburgh, the LR DM needs a 16 minute stop (not adverse conditions this time). Dropping down to SR+ that only doubles to a 30 minute stop. We stop for at least that long in Avimore anyway for lunch (its a 5hr drive). So it was just that 'get to Inverness without worrying about it' that pushed me to the LR.

At least that is the excuse I used to my better half about why we needed a car that could do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds.

Got a long discussion about it here

The short of it, I order the bog standard SR+. It seems to offer the best value. Both FSD and LR are a bit over priced IMO.

You never know what kind of price changes will happen in the next few years up or down, but I don't want to be the guy who got a £47k car that's £40k new a year later...

Same with FSD I'd rather wait and see how it pans out and pay extra to have a robo taxi than pay out 5k now to find out its illegal for 5 years in UK. And I don't like the cheeky tactics of removing auto park features that you can get on a Ford Focus to make you cough up for FSD.

My bet is that even if full self drive is a paid for option and gets more expensive the other options that used to be in autopilot will be migrated back to autopilot as standard. Like auto park, standard summon and lane changing on autopilot. To be honest they should price each of those separately and allow you to unlock each one since the car can do everything already and is just software locked.

Subjective I agree,but I went for LR AWD for practical reasons in the end as:

- range anxiety is real for other family members
- will make common road trips that we make easier - no charge stop required with LR
- less frequent charging & faster charging when needed to get just enough/top up-range
- a buffer against bad or cold weather or a full load or don’t have time to charge
- a buffer against battery degradation over time

In the UK at present you end up with AWD if you want LR which is fine as it improves control/road handing in poor weather etc, and the full premium interior is also a nice bonus :)

All good reasons. Still undecided. I'm really pissed that they removed live traffic flow. Appreciate it routes accordingly but I like that feature. I suppose the only way round that is to stick my phone on the dashboard which is a shame but at least I get Waze/Google maps.

If its a factor I think is is almost indisputable that a black SR+ i.e. the cheapest option will see the lowest percentage depreciation. In the second hand market people want value for money more than anything and options rarely hold their value.
Of course what the percentage will be is pretty hard to determine. I am not drinking the "appreciating asset" cool aid. I am assuming 3 year depreciation somewhere between 40-60% with a milage of 10-20K miles per year.
Some people might think even 40% sound like a lot but I think the new price of EV's with a decent range will fall over that period, and availability will increase. The price of early adoption
But if i buy one and turns out I am wrong and it depreciates <40% it will be a nice bonus :)

Reactions: theoceanwaves
Subjective I agree,but I went for LR AWD for practical reasons in the end as:

- range anxiety is real for other family members
- will make common road trips that we make easier - no charge stop required with LR
- less frequent charging & faster charging when needed to get just enough/top up-range
- a buffer against bad or cold weather or a full load or don’t have time to charge
- a buffer against battery degradation over time

In the UK at present you end up with AWD if you want LR which is fine as it improves control/road handing in poor weather etc, and the full premium interior is also a nice bonus :)

I 100% agree. If I can find the extra I will do the same for exactly the same reasons. Plus most of my longer journeys are across Wales and superchargers are not exactly common there at present.

Tesla have some key advantages that will keep depreciation down compared to other brands:

- ability for the car to get better through over the air software updates
- in house hardware years ahead of competition
- low number of options keeping prices down, just look at a Jaguar I pace, bmw i3 options lists
- an established and reliable supercharger network no one else has this

Tesla have some key advantages that will keep depreciation down compared to other brands:

- ability for the car to get better through over the air software updates
- in house hardware years ahead of competition
- low number of options keeping prices down, just look at a Jaguar I pace, bmw i3 options lists
- an established and reliable supercharger network no one else has this

Don't disagree. I imagine it will annihilate an ipace in residuals and the I3. But I think the Ipace at 3 years 60k will have lost at least 60% of its value. So you could thrash the iPace and still take quite a hit.

I'd just point out that when one considers weather the range is enough or not, he should not look at 100% SOC range under standard test conditions and expect to get that range on the particular occasion he needed it.

Range estimation has some 10% margin of error .. we are down to 90% "reliable" max range.
One seldom starts with 100% SOC, everyday max charge should not be above 90% ... we are down to 81% reliable "no-preparations" everyday range.
One also should not rely on single-digit SOC to really be there ... we are down to 72% reliable max everyday range with some single-digit-reserve left when destination is reached.
Range testing is done on dry roads and under moderate temps. Rain, snow and freezing or melting temps easily demands ~25% more power ... ending with just 55% of advertised range under broad random everyday circumstances.

415 advertised WLTP kms thus become mere ~220 "no-worries" kms of range.
8k pounds brings addition 30 kms of "no-worries".

Is it worth it? You be the judge.

I'd just point out that when one considers weather the range is enough or not, he should not look at 100% SOC range under standard test conditions and expect to get that range on the particular occasion he needed it.

Range estimation has some 10% margin of error .. we are down to 90% "reliable" max range.
One seldom starts with 100% SOC, everyday max charge should not be above 90% ... we are down to 81% reliable "no-preparations" everyday range.
One also should not rely on single-digit SOC to really be there ... we are down to 72% reliable max everyday range with some single-digit-reserve left when destination is reached.
Range testing is done on dry roads and under moderate temps. Rain, snow and freezing or melting temps easily demands ~25% more power ... ending with just 55% of advertised range under broad random everyday circumstances.

415 advertised WLTP kms thus become mere ~220 "no-worries" kms of range.
8k pounds brings addition 30 kms of "no-worries".

Is it worth it? You be the judge.
This is why I think running simulations of your projected use is important - see how wet/windy and cold it needs to get for you on your trips for a problem to arise then decide how much of a problem that will be or not and how likely those conditions are to arise. Then decide if the extra comfort of the range padding is worth the £10k.