TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Standard Audio System - surprisingly good

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 12Pack, Sep 3, 2017.

1. 12Pack

12Pack Member

Used Power Tools Test tone from my iPhones and a good old Radio Shack SPL meter on the standard audio system of my Model S. Bass response was surprisingly flat to just below 40Hz after below which it drops of a cliff. EQ was set flat at 0db. Will check with ful spectrum Room EQ from the laptop when I get some time, but sure doesn't look like the Ultra hi if sub is necessary at least from freq response standpoint.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. stan23

stan23 Member

What year is your car?

3. DriveMe

DriveMe Member

That's good to hear! Look forward to your measurements.

On my first auditioning I was rather disappointed with the sound quality, but that was with the streaming source and on the floor model with restricted volume. For my second test-drive I brought some high bit-rate FLAC files with familiar music, and I really liked what I've heard. So I ended up ordering the Standard Audio with my Model S. Hope it wasn't a mistake. Figured in the worst case, I would upgrade to some aftermarket audio down the road.

Not looking for the deepest bass, but rather for accurate non distorted sound and hoping for good dynamic range thanks to the quiet motors.

• Disagree x 1
  4. 12Pack

12Pack Member

It's a 2015.

5. Dan43

Dan43 Member

Playing 24bit WAV files through the standard HiFi I have been pleasantly surprised how decent it sounds.

6. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Mine is a 2015 my entire family swears that the sound did get better after about a year of use. The speakers must have broken in. I am satisfied with the SQ.

• Like x 1
  7. kev1n

kev1n Member

i have been driving a loaner car with no upgraded audio for about a week now. i miss having the upgraded audio.. there is a big difference.. no bass at all..

• Like x 1
  8. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

I am not an audiophile and have not done instrumented test. I think the standard audio is OK. I mainly use it do to calls on the way to and from work and most calls have an annoying buzzing vibrating noise from the rear speakers. I have to set volume to like 8-9 to hear while at speeds and cell phone audio quality is poor to begin with.

No issues with music though. However, the standard audio doesn't reach the 3rd roll seats in the S and my bids always say they cannot hear.

9. Dax279

Dax279 Member

I have a 2015 with standard audio and think it sounds fine for the streaming service that Tesla uses. Could I do with bass that is managed by a subwoofer? yes, and I am sure the car would sound better, but I am never driving around saying I hate the sound.

10. Nitemare3219

Nitemare3219 Member

It is more than bass that gets upgraded with the sound package - all the speakers are upgraded. You get the added speakers, as well as powered (rather than passive) tweeters, and larger front door mid-woofers (8" from 6"). Increased amplifier power as well as Dolby processing as well.

• Like x 1
  11. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Don’t forget to add that with UHFS you get Slacker HiBitRate which you can not set for the standard audio. It is a very noticeable difference. My S85D has standard audio with a Reus upgrade and sounded phenomenal. After a while the sound just wasn’t “right” and I discovered Tesla turned off the ability to set HiBitRate on the standard audio package. Ordered the UHFS on my S100D and the “extra” is back. Very noticeable difference. Had a loaner with basic audio a months ago and was very happy I ordered UHFS

12. 12Pack

12Pack Member

FWIW - I listen to natural sounding music - mainly jazz. Hence i was setting up to get flat bass response (as opposed to FAT bass response ;))

• Like x 1
  13. clostridium

clostridium Member

While the upgraded system does sound better particularly in terms of bass, the difference didn't warrant the $2500 premium for my needs. I decided to bank that money and if I needed better sound I'd do some aftermarket upgrades. If the upgraded sound really sounded great to my ears I'd have done it. I don't listen to music at higher volumes which was where the differences really seemed to come out to my ears.

So far I've left it alone but periodically watch for threads about different sound upgrade projects. I've found myself listening to more and more podcasts so it makes an upgrade less compelling for now but I am open to doing something eventually.

14. DriveMe

DriveMe Member

My thoughts exactly! I am going to live with the Standard audio for a while, but then at some point down the road I may consider going for an upgrade. I see you are also from Ohio. Perhaps we can arrange a group purchase from Reus or something. Say, in a year or so...

• Like x 1