Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Audio System - surprisingly good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used Power Tools Test tone from my iPhones and a good old Radio Shack SPL meter on the standard audio system of my Model S. Bass response was surprisingly flat to just below 40Hz after below which it drops of a cliff. EQ was set flat at 0db. Will check with ful spectrum Room EQ from the laptop when I get some time, but sure doesn't look like the Ultra hi if sub is necessary at least from freq response standpoint.

That's good to hear! Look forward to your measurements.

On my first auditioning I was rather disappointed with the sound quality, but that was with the streaming source and on the floor model with restricted volume. For my second test-drive I brought some high bit-rate FLAC files with familiar music, and I really liked what I've heard. So I ended up ordering the Standard Audio with my Model S. Hope it wasn't a mistake. Figured in the worst case, I would upgrade to some aftermarket audio down the road.

Not looking for the deepest bass, but rather for accurate non distorted sound and hoping for good dynamic range thanks to the quiet motors.

• Disagree
Reactions: EvolutionTeʂla
I am not an audiophile and have not done instrumented test. I think the standard audio is OK. I mainly use it do to calls on the way to and from work and most calls have an annoying buzzing vibrating noise from the rear speakers. I have to set volume to like 8-9 to hear while at speeds and cell phone audio quality is poor to begin with.

No issues with music though. However, the standard audio doesn't reach the 3rd roll seats in the S and my bids always say they cannot hear.

I have a 2015 with standard audio and think it sounds fine for the streaming service that Tesla uses. Could I do with bass that is managed by a subwoofer? yes, and I am sure the car would sound better, but I am never driving around saying I hate the sound.

It is more than bass that gets upgraded with the sound package - all the speakers are upgraded. You get the added speakers, as well as powered (rather than passive) tweeters, and larger front door mid-woofers (8" from 6"). Increased amplifier power as well as Dolby processing as well.

Reactions: boonedocks
It is more than bass that gets upgraded with the sound package - all the speakers are upgraded. You get the added speakers, as well as powered (rather than passive) tweeters, and larger front door mid-woofers (8" from 6"). Increased amplifier power as well as Dolby processing as well.

Don’t forget to add that with UHFS you get Slacker HiBitRate which you can not set for the standard audio. It is a very noticeable difference. My S85D has standard audio with a Reus upgrade and sounded phenomenal. After a while the sound just wasn’t “right” and I discovered Tesla turned off the ability to set HiBitRate on the standard audio package. Ordered the UHFS on my S100D and the “extra” is back. Very noticeable difference. Had a loaner with basic audio a months ago and was very happy I ordered UHFS

Used Power Tools Test tone from my iPhones and a good old Radio Shack SPL meter on the standard audio system of my Model S. Bass response was surprisingly flat to just below 40Hz after below which it drops of a cliff. EQ was set flat at 0db. Will check with ful spectrum Room EQ from the laptop when I get some time, but sure doesn't look like the Ultra hi if sub is necessary at least from freq response standpoint.

While the upgraded system does sound better particularly in terms of bass, the difference didn't warrant the $2500 premium for my needs. I decided to bank that money and if I needed better sound I'd do some aftermarket upgrades. If the upgraded sound really sounded great to my ears I'd have done it. I don't listen to music at higher volumes which was where the differences really seemed to come out to my ears.

So far I've left it alone but periodically watch for threads about different sound upgrade projects. I've found myself listening to more and more podcasts so it makes an upgrade less compelling for now but I am open to doing something eventually.

So far I've left it alone but periodically watch for threads about different sound upgrade projects. I've found myself listening to more and more podcasts so it makes an upgrade less compelling for now but I am open to doing something eventually.
My thoughts exactly! I am going to live with the Standard audio for a while, but then at some point down the road I may consider going for an upgrade. I see you are also from Ohio. Perhaps we can arrange a group purchase from Reus or something. Say, in a year or so...

Reactions: clostridium
I have a 2015 with standard audio and think it sounds fine for the streaming service that Tesla uses. Could I do with bass that is managed by a subwoofer? yes, and I am sure the car would sound better, but I am never driving around saying I hate the sound.

I recently added amplified 8" JL Audio micro sub to my standard system (in the rear trunk compartment) and it sounds amazing after filling the bass gap that I had without the sub.

Reactions: Dax279
I had UHF system on 1st Model S, back when was a $900 option, when I traded in for 2017 Model S I got standard audio. It did sound better than I was expecting. However I added a 10 inch JL audio sub in custom enclosure in trunk. Now truthfully it does not sound so much better I feel to my ears, tough to integrate with rest of system since you cannot set crossover on existing speakers to work best with sub. Just a thought for those thinking that just adding sub to standard audio will equal or better the UHF system.

Agreed with most here. After reading horror stories on here I expected the sound to be awful, but I've been pleasantly surprised. I think it sounds very clear. I suppose if my goal was to annoy the drivers around me I'd be disappointed, but I listen at a safe volume ;)

It could use a bit more bass for sure, but certainly not a $2500 upgrade. I didn't know about the higher bit rate Slacker, that's interesting.

Don’t forget to add that with UHFS you get Slacker HiBitRate which you can not set for the standard audio. It is a very noticeable difference. My S85D has standard audio with a Reus upgrade and sounded phenomenal. After a while the sound just wasn’t “right” and I discovered Tesla turned off the ability to set HiBitRate on the standard audio package. Ordered the UHFS on my S100D and the “extra” is back. Very noticeable difference. Had a loaner with basic audio a months ago and was very happy I ordered UHFS
Any experience with Tesla SC's "upgrading" your MCU/software to enable the HiBitRate capability for Slacker?