Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard AutoPilot needs to switch lanes

Do you think they will add this back into the standard AP?

• Yes

Votes: 69 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 132 60.8%
  • Don’t care

Votes: 16 7.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model 3 this passed Saturday and it came with the standard AP. Unfortunately it is missing one feature that should not be a part of FSD and that is the ability to switch lanes when I put on my turn signal. I understand if I want it to suggest lane changes or do them by itself I need to pay for FSD, but having to disable AP, switch lanes, and re-enable AP each time is both annoying and dangerous.

Switching lanes has been a part of AP since the 1st version ever in the Model S.

Again, I don’t expect it to suggest the lane change or do anything Like that. But if I put on the turn signal it should definitely switch lanes as AP always has.

Also, regular summon should be there too. The kind where the car can move either forward or backwards X amount of feet. Not the kind where it finds you in a parking lot.

That should be where the line is drawn between AP and FSD.

Anything is possible. However EAP was a 5k option and they moved around things to FSD to create the current packages. Back when I bought my X it seemed EAP had all the driver assistance features and FSD was supposed to be fully autonomous hands off wheel capability. The definition of FSD for Tesla has continued to shift and it seems more like EAP at this point. Don't worry though, your not missing much. I'd rather have the current standard autopilot instead of the $5k EAP I bought for my X and 3. Lane change is ok, summon is a party trick and I never figured out how to get autopark to work.

My thing is that when I put on the turn signal it turns off auto steer but keeps the cruise control on. It can get confusing and one might think auto steer is on after switching lanes and have an accident. It is now less safe than it used to be and that’s not ok.

• Informative
Reactions: Yang_H and UTMB
I picked up my Model 3 this passed Saturday and it came with the standard AP. Unfortunately it is missing one feature that should not be a part of FSD and that is the ability to switch lanes when I put on my turn signal. I understand if I want it to suggest lane changes or do them by itself I need to pay for FSD, but having to disable AP, switch lanes, and re-enable AP each time is both annoying and dangerous.

Switching lanes has been a part of AP since the 1st version ever in the Model S.

Again, I don’t expect it to suggest the lane change or do anything Like that. But if I put on the turn signal it should definitely switch lanes as AP always has.

Also, regular summon should be there too. The kind where the car can move either forward or backwards X amount of feet. Not the kind where it finds you in a parking lot.

That should be where the line is drawn between AP and FSD.

How many other cars have adaptive cruise control (TACC) and lane guidance (AP)? Lots.
How many cars change lanes? None?

Tesla only rights-sized TACC to meet the comparable features on other similar cars. My 2018 Leaf has the same features.
The one thing that Tesla probably should do, as the Leaf does is to temporarily disable AP when the turn signal is on.

The lower the price of standard AP and removed some of the features. Want the price back up and all the features? Or the reduced price for the ones people ask for most?

Make it a la carte. I’d pay $500 for the lane switching on turn signal. Why does it have to be one or the other?

Such an easy way for them to make more $$$. Make a few of these items individual selections you can make right on the cars screen.

For now Tesla needs everything exclusive to FSD as they can to get orders for that package.

But, I could certainly see the need to improve the UX element of changing lanes while on AP. To have it be a more seamless maneuver.

AP knows I'm going to changes lanes because my blinkers are on so why not temporarily disable AP automatically for the lane change, and then automatically re-enable AP.

Would that not work?

Our adviser told us it was included with AP, so we were pretty disappointed that he misinformed us. Going to try to leverage my dissatisfaction into EAP or $5k FSD, but I'm not optimistic: I already got one "tough luck" response from Tesla.

Good luck. You're probably one of many people who I'm sure were "told" by their advisor that it was included. Not saying you're lying, misinformed service people seem to be pretty common. I was at the Buena Park service center yesterday and my service advisor actually got pretty candid with me. When we were outside the service center he told me the two most annoying things happening right now are people asking for free AP/EAP/FSD because they were either misinformed or didn't know and the other is people coming in asking for the latest software to be pushed to get the latest features.

Good luck. You're probably one of many people who I'm sure were "told" by their advisor that it was included. Not saying you're lying, misinformed service people seem to be pretty common. I was at the Buena Park service center yesterday and my service advisor actually got pretty candid with me. When we were outside the service center he told me the two most annoying things happening right now are people asking for free AP/EAP/FSD because they were either misinformed or didn't know and the other is people coming in asking for the latest software to be pushed to get the latest features.

He should transfer his annoyance to the people doing the misinforming. I'm sure there is some 'misunderstanding' afoot as well but we were very explicit and I have email evidence. Having accurate info would very likely have resulted in us just buying FSD. Also, I wish I'd researched more before buying but the MR option was vanishing before my eyes and prices were going up (ordered on 3/17). So I will ask, and if in so doing, I annoy a service adviser, so be it. Still not optimistic. :D

He should transfer his annoyance to the people doing the misinforming. I'm sure there is some 'misunderstanding' afoot as well but we were very explicit and I have email evidence. Having accurate info would very likely have resulted in us just buying FSD. Also, I wish I'd researched more before buying but the MR option was vanishing before my eyes and prices were going up (ordered on 3/17). So I will ask, and if in so doing, I annoy a service adviser, so be it. Still not optimistic. :D

I definitely hear you. As he was telling me all this I can just went along with him. Having an email from them definitely helps but I think at best you'll get a "We're sorry but the advisor incorrectly gave you this information" type of response. At least from reading on this forum, I haven't read anyone mention getting added features based on incorrect information they were given. Maybe they can give you some sort of service credit or even super charging credit.

How many other cars have adaptive cruise control (TACC) and lane guidance (AP)? Lots.

Tesla only rights-sized TACC to meet the comparable features on other similar cars. My 2018 Leaf has the same features.
The one thing that Tesla probably should do, as the Leaf does is to temporarily disable AP when the turn signal is on.

Lane guidance on other cars is very different then what Tesla offers with auto-steer, even on basic AP. A system that nudges you if you start drifting lanes is not the same as one that effectively drives in lane for you.

Small correction. Some of the newer BMW has similar lane change feature as part of their Driving Assistance Plus packages. I believe a few other makes do as well.

I do have mixed feelings about Tesla's auto lane change feature. It works great most of the time, but there are times when I do have to cancel AP and take over lane change because the car just takes too long to make the change.