Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Battery w/ PUP Not Initially Available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting wording in the revised FAQ from Tesla, which seems to imply that the first Standard Battery cars will be with the standard interior, and the ability to add PUP as an upgrade will come "later". That would be a total bummer for many folks. Might be possible that SR + PUP may not be available for a while.

Thoughts?

Which Model 3 features are currently available?
Our first Model 3 in production comes with a long-range battery, 310 miles of range, rear-wheel drive and premium upgrades throughout, beginning at $49,000 USD. In early 2018, we will introduce the option for a standard battery with 220 miles of range and standard equipment, beginning at $35,000 USD.

Every Model 3 comes with standard active safety features and is designed to be the safest car in its class. Today, customers can choose from three customization options for Model 3: wheel size (18” Aero or 19” Sport), exterior color (Solid Black, Midnight Silver Metallic, Deep Blue Metallic, Silver Metallic, Pearl White Multi-Coat, Red Multi-Coat) and Autopilot features (Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Capability).

Future options will include an optional white interior, premium package as an upgrade choice, and dual motor all-wheel drive. International feature availability and timing will be shared later as production ramps.

Interesting wording in the revised FAQ from Tesla, which seems to imply that the first Standard Battery cars will be with the standard interior, and the ability to add PUP as an upgrade will come "later". That would be a total bummer for many folks. Might be possible that SR + PUP may not be available for a while.

Thoughts?

Which Model 3 features are currently available?
Our first Model 3 in production comes with a long-range battery, 310 miles of range, rear-wheel drive and premium upgrades throughout, beginning at $49,000 USD. In early 2018, we will introduce the option for a standard battery with 220 miles of range and standard equipment, beginning at $35,000 USD.

Every Model 3 comes with standard active safety features and is designed to be the safest car in its class. Today, customers can choose from three customization options for Model 3: wheel size (18” Aero or 19” Sport), exterior color (Solid Black, Midnight Silver Metallic, Deep Blue Metallic, Silver Metallic, Pearl White Multi-Coat, Red Multi-Coat) and Autopilot features (Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Capability).

Future options will include an optional white interior, premium package as an upgrade choice, and dual motor all-wheel drive. International feature availability and timing will be shared later as production ramps.

The effect on me would depend on what they meant by "future". I'm not going to pay for the long-range version, and I'm not going to buy a version without heated mirrors. Their press pack reads like you need the PUP to get heated mirrors.

If I can't get a base with heated mirrors before the tax credit halves I'd just keep driving my Prius until I can't. I have no compelling reason to replace it with a PEV from any manufacturer other than Tesla and I have no compelling reason to replace it quickly if the full tax credit isn't available.

Reactions: Stirfelt
It would make sense to bundle in order to simplify the number of variations. Most companies offer a base model car and a higher trim with better engine (think BMW 328 vs. 335 or Subaru WRX vs. STI).

LR includes PUP
SR is base, so no PUP

In essence:

Base trim = Cloth interior & SR battery
Premium trim = Leatherette interior & LR battery

It would be rather foolish, IMO, for them NOT to offer the PUP as an option for the first stand battery configurations. They'd be leaving revenue on the table (most likely at much better margins than the car itself), at a time when they desperately need to show profitability on the Model 3. Can't see them doing that, even if it's in the name of "simplicity".

It would be rather foolish, IMO, for them NOT to offer the PUP as an option for the first stand battery configurations. They'd be leaving revenue on the table (most likely at much better margins than the car itself), at a time when they desperately need to show profitability on the Model 3. Can't see them doing that, even if it's in the name of "simplicity".

One reason, I believe, is if you prevent SR cars from having PUP you will entice people to upgrade to LR, which is even more expensive and higher margin. This is why most car companies do not offer every option/feature on every trim level.

Also, by offering SR w/o PUP you ship out more ~$35,000 cars which will prevent journalists and pundits from writing negative commentary that "Tesla failed to offer its car for the masses."

Well I sure hope they don't delay too long. LR+PUP is out of my budget, and SR+Std doesn't offer much of an entry level luxury experience outside of the acceleration (which I personally value less than interior quality and sound quality). If not offered until 2nd half, might risk the tax credit.

One reason, I believe, is if you prevent SR cars from having PUP you will entice people to upgrade to LR, which is even more expensive and higher margin. This is why most car companies do not offer every option/feature on every trim level.

Also, by offering SR w/o PUP you ship out more ~$35,000 cars which will prevent journalists and pundits from writing negative commentary that "Tesla failed to offer its car for the masses."

I can understand the upsell aspect of it, to some degree. But you're talking about a $9000 upgrade here, there aren't going to be many buyers on the fence for such an expensive upgrade.

As far as journalists go, as long as Tesla offers the base without PUP, I don't see an issue. They would just be very smart to prioritize the PUP orders once standard battery configs go live.

Tesla is in such a dire situation, financially, that I'm afraid they don't have the luxury of delivering in any order other than "sort by descending profit".