Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Mobile Charger with NEMA 14-50 vs Corded Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1965Cobra427

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2020
Wally World
I searched for this specific comparison, but haven't found it. My apologies if it's a duplicate.

The Standard Mobile Charger can be fitted with the optional NEMA 14-50, available for $35 on the Tesla store
The Corded Mobile Connector has a hard-wired NEMA 14-50 connector and costs $520

When fitted with the $35 adapter, does the SMC have less charging capacity than the CMC?
IE: 23 MPH for Model S. 30 MPH for model 3, etc.

Still waiting on delivery of a Model SP

There is the Mobile Connector and the Wall Connector. The $500 Wall connector attaches directly to your car and has no 14-50 connector. It plugs directly into your car. When your electrician runs the proper wiring in your house and hardwires the wall connector, this is the fastest way to charge your car at home. Every new Tesla comes with the Mobile Connector, and you use adapters to connect it to various wall power outlets, like 14-50. The other end of the mobile connector fits into your car using the same plug as the wall connector. Each of the mobile connector adapters cost $35 from Tesla, and it comes with two different adapters. There are no adapters for the wall connector. It is hard wired into your house electric.

Last edited:
I searched for this specific comparison, but haven't found it. My apologies if it's a duplicate.

The Standard Mobile Charger can be fitted with the optional NEMA 14-50, available for $35 on the Tesla store
The Corded Mobile Connector has a hard-wired NEMA 14-50 connector and costs $520

When fitted with the $35 adapter, does the SMC have less charging capacity than the CMC?
IE: 23 MPH for Model S. 30 MPH for model 3, etc.

Still waiting on delivery of a Model SP

The standard mobile connector will provide a max current of 32 amps, even with the 14-50 adapter.
The corded mobile connector will provide a max current of 40 amps, so it charges your car ~20% faster.

Last edited:
There is the Mobile Connector and the Wall Connector. The $500 Wall connector attaches directly to your car and has no 14-50 connector. It plugs directly into your car. When your electrician runs the proper wiring in your house and hardwires the wall connector, this is the fastest way to charge your car at home. Every new Tesla comes with the Mobile Connector, and you use adapters to connect it to various wall power outlets, like 14-50. The other end of the mobile connector fits into your car using the same plug as the wall connector. Each of the mobile connector adapters cost $35 from Tesla, and it comes with two different adapters. There are no adapters for the wall connector. It is hard wired into your house electric.
You are not considering the third option, which is what OP is talking about.

Corded Mobile Connector

Thank you for your responses. I am also considering having a NEMA 14-60R receptacle installed in my garage, purchasing a Wall Connector and wiring a 14-60 plug onto the WC as I think this will offer the highest charging rate (44 MPH) and still provide for 240vac for some equipment I have and might use on occasion. If however it is only 10% faster than the CMC , it might be just as well to skip the WC and install a NEMA 14-50. Any thoughts?

There is a thread about this at the Tesla forums

basically, it appears that corded mobile connector is based on the gen1 universal mobile charger and charges at 40 amps vs the 32 amps in the supplies gen2 UMC.

also note that the corded Mobile connector seems to be the replacement for the discontinued Nema 10-50 High Powered Wall Connector

Reactions: 1965Cobra427
I charge with the mobile connect at 24 amps (30 amp circuit) and have never felt like I needed anything faster. If you are trying to be cost conscious, just wire up a 14-50 and get the $35 adapter. Unless you are driving 100's of miles or have limited charge time it'll probably be more than sufficient. I wired with 6awg THHN wire in conduit just incase I wanted to do the 60 amp wall connector but after a year of ownership I don't think I'd ever need the extra juice.

Thank you for your responses. I am also considering having a NEMA 14-60R receptacle installed in my garage, purchasing a Wall Connector and wiring a 14-60 plug onto the WC as I think this will offer the highest charging rate (44 MPH) and still provide for 240vac for some equipment I have and might use on occasion. If however it is only 10% faster than the CMC , it might be just as well to skip the WC and install a NEMA 14-50. Any thoughts?
I don't like or recommend that idea. There is a reason why electric code eventually puts in a limit and says anything higher amps must be hard wire and can't be cord-and-plug connected. It's a weaker connection method than the tighter screwed in methods of hard wiring, so you're creating more of a potential weak connection / hot spot / melting / etc.

And especially for something that's not just short times and on/off cycling, like most equipment would be. This would be running at 48A continuous on a 60A circuit, which is very heavy use.

And that's not even getting into yet that NEC says you need to comply with the manufacturer's installation instructions, and attaching an external 3rd party cord-and-plug to a wall connector that says it should be hard wired definitely violates their instructions.

I don't like or recommend that idea. There is a reason why electric code eventually puts in a limit and says anything higher amps must be hard wire and can't be cord-and-plug connected. It's a weaker connection method than the tighter screwed in methods of hard wiring, so you're creating more of a potential weak connection / hot spot / melting / etc.

And especially for something that's not just short times and on/off cycling, like most equipment would be. This would be running at 48A continuous on a 60A circuit, which is very heavy use.

And that's not even getting into yet that NEC says you need to comply with the manufacturer's installation instructions, and attaching an external 3rd party cord-and-plug to a wall connector that says it should be hard wired definitely violates their instructions.

Thanks for all of your replies. That is exactly why I posed the question. I'm now leaning toward CMC.

Ive been using a 14-50 plug with the included mobile connector for a year now. With that one, I dont even use the full 32amps. I turn it down to about 26 amps (reduces heat/increases longevity of the mobile connector) and with my driving, still able to get back to 85% charge between midnight and 5am). Then again, I also dont drive much more than a max of about 25 miles each day (max) total. Even when I work from the office that might increase to 35 miles a day max.

For those with MUCH longer commutes, perhaps its worth the $520 spend

Ive been using a 14-50 plug with the included mobile connector for a year now. With that one, I dont even use the full 32amps. I turn it down to about 26 amps (reduces heat/increases longevity of the mobile connector) and with my driving, still able to get back to 85% charge between midnight and 5am). Then again, I also dont drive much more than a max of about 25 miles each day (max) total./QUOTE]

Can you tell me what year and model you have and what the remaining % of charge you typically have when you plug in at night?