Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Morning Run on 2022.12.3.20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: Phantom Slow downs fixed, too long at intersections, stops too short of intersections, turn in to late on some streets, too long to drop speed, beeped because pedestrian on other side of road walking on the shoulder. It’s getting there.

Update came down last night. Did the standard morning run. Still takes long at intersections in neighborhood and out of neighborhood on to main back road. The first left off the main back road on to another back road, it slows down more normal heading towards it, but starts hunting for the center of road before finally committing, which causes it to almost stop and it now it overshot the turn. This left turn is coming in at an angle. Needs to turn in early. The next immediate left turn was fixed but now it has gone back to hunting for the yellow line, nearly stopping, no good. Needs to go back to turning in early and only slowing. The phantom slow downs are gone. Yes! On return route at the two left turns above, which are now right turns. It stops short of where it should inches up but can’t possibly see down the road because of high grass and embankment, but goes anyway and is to close to edge of road and goes over the edge and hits the dirt with right rear wheel. This was fixed but now has gone backwards. The next quick right, again stops to early, inches forward and goes, there’s no way it could see down that road to left because of the angle and the trees and tall grasses. These are the edges of farm field, so there’s trees and brush and tall grass etc. No cars were coming so can’t say what would of happened, nor do I want to find out. Speed increase happens instantly when you pass the speed limit sign. However when the speed limit dropped from 45 (50) to 35 (40) I have it set 5 over, it took passing 5 telephone poles before it finally made it back to 40. That needs to get addressed and it has been called out by others on previous releases. On a left hand curve in the road on the main back road a person was walking on the other side way over on the shoulder. Car beeped, didn’t throw any warnings, just beeped. I look at screen and person was clearly displayed on other side of road but I think in red. So it made me think that’s what tripped the warning. Coming back into neighborhood the right and left turns were fine, unfortunately it carries the wrong speed 35, which is 25 and everyone does 20, nothing a quick spin of the speed wheel couldn’t fix.

Bottom line it did make all the turns so it does work, just needs more refinement. Glad to see the phantom slow downs are gone, at least on this standard run. I did experience one, but not sure if it was a natural slow down because of going down a rise or if it was an actual phantom slow down, so very minor I wasn’t really sure. Not counting it until I have a few more runs down the route.

Other than no more phantom slow downs, more normal slowing in prep for the left turn, didn’t really experience anything drastic for improvement on this route. Can’t wait to get it out on regular roads with traffic and lights and highways etc. Go Tesla, slowly getting there. We need Tesla to give Chuck Cook a new car so we can get his runs.

1656768381649.jpg

Update: Not happy with this release. Just took a ride to other side of town, it ran the stop sign at top of hill, didn't even slow, I had to intervene. It has never ever run that stop sign in all the releases to include pre beta days using autopilot (I have FSD so it would stop at stop signs). The problem it had with this stop sign was it would always stop ~15 yards short of it, now it didn't even slow. It clearly showed it on the display. Also on a hard left curve, almost 90 degrees with a road coming in from the right, it bailed and went head on towards the curb. Another incident a women was walking down her sidewalk from her house towards her mailbox at the curb, side walk was perpendicular to the road, car went from 40 to almost a stop, I had to intervene. I understand why it did it, but at 40 mph I would have been way down the road before she even reached the curb. Also speed limit is off on roads that it had previously fixed.

Please be very very careful with this release, it's unpredictable and a bit scary. I'm a bit uneasy using it now.

Thanks AndrewZ for the posting of Chucks video, I'm happy to see him back in action. I see he is having issues with this release also. Hopefully this gets replaced with a more stable one.

Chuck already has his car back and posted a video of his usual unprotected left turn on 12.1 -- first time in a long time that the system has defaulted to bailing to the right

If he’s right and saw tesla test vehicles, they probably said Frack this turn. It’s not allowed to turn left here lol. Time for him to find a new left turn spot. I always wondered where that birds eye view camera is though. Did he climb a 100’ tree?

TLDR: Phantom Slow downs fixed, too long at intersections, stops too short of intersections, turn in to late on some streets, too long to drop speed, beeped because pedestrian on other side of road walking on the shoulder. It’s getting there.

Update came down last night. Did the standard morning run. Still takes long at intersections in neighborhood and out of neighborhood on to main back road. The first left off the main back road on to another back road, it slows down more normal heading towards it, but starts hunting for the center of road before finally committing, which causes it to almost stop and it now it overshot the turn. This left turn is coming in at an angle. Needs to turn in early. The next immediate left turn was fixed but now it has gone back to hunting for the yellow line, nearly stopping, no good. Needs to go back to turning in early and only slowing. The phantom slow downs are gone. Yes! On return route at the two left turns above, which are now right turns. It stops short of where it should inches up but can’t possibly see down the road because of high grass and embankment, but goes anyway and is to close to edge of road and goes over the edge and hits the dirt with right rear wheel. This was fixed but now has gone backwards. The next quick right, again stops to early, inches forward and goes, there’s no way it could see down that road to left because of the angle and the trees and tall grasses. These are the edges of farm field, so there’s trees and brush and tall grass etc. No cars were coming so can’t say what would of happened, nor do I want to find out. Speed increase happens instantly when you pass the speed limit sign. However when the speed limit dropped from 45 (50) to 35 (40) I have it set 5 over, it took passing 5 telephone poles before it finally made it back to 40. That needs to get addressed and it has been called out by others on previous releases. On a left hand curve in the road on the main back road a person was walking on the other side way over on the shoulder. Car beeped, didn’t throw any warnings, just beeped. I look at screen and person was clearly displayed on other side of road but I think in red. So it made me think that’s what tripped the warning. Coming back into neighborhood the right and left turns were fine, unfortunately it carries the wrong speed 35, which is 25 and everyone does 20, nothing a quick spin of the speed wheel couldn’t fix.

Bottom line it did make all the turns so it does work, just needs more refinement. Glad to see the phantom slow downs are gone, at least on this standard run. I did experience one, but not sure if it was a natural slow down because of going down a rise or if it was an actual phantom slow down, so very minor I wasn’t really sure. Not counting it until I have a few more runs down the route.

Other than no more phantom slow downs, more normal slowing in prep for the left turn, didn’t really experience anything drastic for improvement on this route. Can’t wait to get it out on regular roads with traffic and lights and highways etc. Go Tesla, slowly getting there. We need Tesla to give Chuck Cook a new car so we can get his runs.
what I don't understand is why in the fsdbeta all this is already resolved when you see how it works ;-( why can't you simply benefit from it without the advantages of the fsdbeta it makes us drive with errors that are known and corrected already ;-( it is incomprehensible that even the security system of the vehicle is completely deactivated until the next trip because I simply avoid 3 holes in the road or several bikes ;-( honestly I am disappointed for the moment with the autopilot ;-(

what I don't understand is why in the fsdbeta all this is already resolved when you see how it works ;-( why can't you simply benefit from it without the advantages of the fsdbeta it makes us drive with errors that are known and corrected already ;-( it is incomprehensible that even the security system of the vehicle is completely deactivated until the next trip because I simply avoid 3 holes in the road or several bikes ;-( honestly I am disappointed for the moment with the autopilot ;-(

FSD beta is a complete rewrite of the code with fundamental changes to AI/machine learning, so it's not trivial to just transfer the improvements to the old AP system.

What’s a winky frown mean. That’s not a face humans make. Try it. It’s unnatural lol