Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Morning Run on 2022.4.5.21, Improved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Telsa Model 3, Dual Motor, FSD, FSD Beta, HW3, 108K miles

TLDR, nice “noticeable” improvements, nothing major, less phantom slowing, better turn execution.

Installed the update last night. Did the standard morning run. It made the left out of the development smoother, slowed, then did a quick creep, check the coast was clear and went, still needs a little polishing. The Phantom slow downs are almost completely gone. YES!!!! Only had a couple, dropped from 40 to 38 slowly, not abruptly and returned to 40. The first left turn off the main back road (45mph) on a curve and side road comes in at slight angle with no lane markings, little hesitant and overshoots it, fine if there is a car there, otherwise needs to cut in sooner. Plus cars are traveling at 50mph and above so needs quicker decision on the turn. Next left, took it very nicely, cutting in early and clipping the end of the lane where a car would be stopped for the stop sign on the left. This is how everyone takes it, very nice. Have to see what it does when a car is actually stopped there. Spots where it would phantom slow, driveways into warehouses, it didn’t, Hurray!

Slowing for cars in front seems smoother. Returning back to neighborhood it made the right into development nicely, maybe a little close to the curb, but probably normal. The quick left onto my street was perfect.

Still waits too long after car/truck/etc in front clears your lane when making a turn in front of you. Slows ok, almost to a stop, but when the car is clear or starting to clear it should have resumed. I just hit the accelerator rather than wait for it to go again.

The left hand stop sign didn’t cause it to brake this morning, stop sign is for a road coming in on the left side of road at very acute angle, think of an upside down Y. The breaking was pretty much gone in previous update.

This afternoon I will go the other way and see if it fixed the right off the main road onto the back road. This is the one where its an intersection, no light, left street comes in from development, right street is a back road. The right side is like the top right branch of a Y that straightens perpendicular just before the main road. Few versions earlier it took it beautifully, cutting in early with minor slow down. It was amazing, how did it know? With the previous release I noticed it had gone seriously backwards. Going past the turning point and searching for the yellow line then trying to make the turn, which it did with multiple jerky steering adjustments and scaring the folks stopped at the intersection. It slowed way to much seeing the main road was 45 and folks run it at 50 -60mph. You can’t be slowing that much and trying to figure out how to make the turn. So will check it out this afternoon.

Bottom line nice noticeable improvements. I have a 2500 mile trip coming up in a couple weeks, so I’ll get lots of observations of the software. So happy to see the Chargers icon is now back on the main map screen, no more searching for it when a route is running. Still taking too long to slow after speed limit change, takes ~1/4mi of gradual slow down.

Fellow beta users, if your sync messages is not working, on your iphone go to settings, blue tooth, tesla, and turn notifications back on. Mine was turned off.

FYI – Phantom slow downs is not Phantom Braking, for those who’ve experienced how severe phantom braking can be. I am still very leery of them, especially when it locked up on a highway in Indiana with a tractor trailer on my right and left. I was in the middle lane. Thankfully the pickup truck trailing me had moved to the left lane before the car slammed the brakes at 75mph. My wife and I thought it was the end. We were centered between the middle of the two trailers when it happened. I thought we were going to go under one of them. Had the pickup truck remained behind us he would of hit us and pushed us under either of the trucks on our left or right. Still scared to this day around tractor trailers, that was a good 8 months ago. I pray it no longer does this and I don’t want to ever experience it again! I’ve had lots and lots of Phantom Braking over the past 4 years around tractor trailers but nothing to that extreme.

Be safe out there and keep testing. Go Tesla!

Just the opposite experience here on my morning commute. First run with 10.11.2:

Engaged FSD, it went 500 yards to the end of my street to an unprotected left turn onto two lane road. It stopped well short of the stop sign (it has always done that), creeped forward for visibility, and then started to proceed with some authority into the intersection. Problem is there were cars coming from both directions. Had I not slammed on the brakes the car definitely would have hit the car coming from the right. Luckily the car coming from the left had time to brake and prevent hitting my car (I was now well out into the intersection).

Undeterred, I reengaged FSD, went about a mile and half with the normal phantom slow downs and center-line hugging to an unprotected right turn out onto a 4-lane road. I was just behind a school bus also making the right turn that had its turn-signal on. The car stopped behind the school bus and then immediately lurched out to the left over the double-yellow line to go around the school bus waiting to turn right in front of me. Right there at the stop sign! A school bus!

Undeterred, I made the right turn manually (without killing any school children) and reengaged FSD. Approaching the school-zone sign (which FSD has traditionally ignored) the car now decided it was a traffic light getting ready to turn red - wait, no, there's nothing there - wait, it's a light turning red - wait, nothing - wait... you get the point. So that change is certainly not an improvement either.

Still hugging (and crossing) the center double-yellow line on the curvy road and still has phantom braking at random spots. So the one (good?) thing I can say about 10.11.2 is that it does appear that they changed some things, but so far I can only say that the changes have made some of the major flaws in FSD worse, not better.

Just the opposite experience here on my morning commute. First run with 10.11.2:

Engaged FSD, it went 500 yards to the end of my street to an unprotected left turn onto two lane road. It stopped well short of the stop sign (it has always done that), creeped forward for visibility, and then started to proceed with some authority into the intersection. Problem is there were cars coming from both directions. Had I not slammed on the brakes the car definitely would have hit the car coming from the right. Luckily the car coming from the left had time to brake and prevent hitting my car (I was now well out into the intersection).

Undeterred, I reengaged FSD, went about a mile and half with the normal phantom slow downs and center-line hugging to an unprotected right turn out onto a 4-lane road. I was just behind a school bus also making the right turn that had its turn-signal on. The car stopped behind the school bus and then immediately lurched out to the left over the double-yellow line to go around the school bus waiting to turn right in front of me. Right there at the stop sign! A school bus!

Undeterred, I made the right turn manually (without killing any school children) and reengaged FSD. Approaching the school-zone sign (which FSD has traditionally ignored) the car now decided it was a traffic light getting ready to turn red - wait, no, there's nothing there - wait, it's a light turning red - wait, nothing - wait... you get the point. So that change is certainly not an improvement either.

Still hugging (and crossing) the center double-yellow line on the curvy road and still has phantom braking at random spots. So the one (good?) thing I can say about 10.11.2 is that it does appear that they changed some things, but so far I can only say that the changes have made some of the major flaws in FSD worse, not better.
Wow, that does not sound good. Maybe after the system sleeps tonight tomorrow it will work correctly. In fairness I did not have any approaching cars during my turns, so I may wind up having same experience. Double yellow seems to be fine here and always has been. I did have experiences with it trying to go around a bus, with flashing reds and a couple cars back and also traffic stopped for red light that it couldn't see.

Tested the right turn that couple releases back worked amazingly, then in the 2021.44.30.21 it really messed up, now it works perfect again. Hoping it stays fixed. Still experiencing some slow downs, hit the record button for tesla, so hopefully they'll get addressed in next fix. They were previously record under ...30.21.

Pulling out of side roads onto main roads needs work. Decision making takes too long forcing manual acceleration every time and sometimes car goes out to far into lane when it should not have attempted it forcing intervention by accelerating or hitting brakes. Same with turns off main road to side roads, slows to much and too long. Also noticed “some” braking for stopped or turning traffic, seems to continue at combat speed until it is forced to have to brake or slow harder than necessary. When you can clearly see the car ahead is stopped it should start slowing but instead continues on until at some point it recognizes stopped or turning traffic and starts braking. It’s a little unnerving, does it see the stopped traffic, is it going to slow or brake….. Ok, we’re going with hard brake/slow, hmm you could of started slowing way back there.

Used the parallel parking the other day and it worked perfect. The P came up and it executed flawlessly and quickly. Granted I only had an opportunity to use it once, so not a fair assessment. Didn’t get a chance to use the perpendicular parking yet to see if that has improved. I have the side cameras turned off on the screen, but my daughter used hers the other day for parking as she drove forward parallel to the curb, now I see the value of it, you can see how close to the curb you are when parking along a curb. No more curb rash.

Keep testing and be safe out there. Sorry to hear Chuck’s car was involved in an accident and there was a fatality. Hopefully his car will be back up and running soon. His videos are true and honest, great work by him. Maybe Tesla will give him a loaner FSD Beta to continue to use and report. If he’s up to it after his ordeal.

Go Tesla!!!

Despite the first drive out that was quite the debacle, after several drives I can say it feels slightly improved. It can still neither enter or exit my neighborhood, and it still has no idea about school zones, and it continues to want to cross the double yellow centerline to go around cars (which still flabbergasts me), but it does have a bit more confidence.

Based on Musk’s recent comments, however, I am starting to realize that achieving full self-driving doesn’t mean that my car can take me to work and back home with no interventions, it means his car can drive him around whatever town he’s in with no interventions. This certainly limits the operational domain that the FSD team has to develop for! 😀

Based on Musk’s recent comments, however, I am starting to realize that achieving full self-driving doesn’t mean that my car can take me to work and back home with no interventions, it means his car can drive him around whatever town he’s in with no interventions. This certainly limits the operational domain that the FSD team has to develop for! 😀
No Interventions Musk makes up more crap than the first guy he will allow back on Twitter as soon as he gets ownership.🤣