Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the Standard Range AWD makes much sense and I am skeptical Tesla will actually offer it. The SR is all about cost optimization. So it doesn't make sense to bundle the small battery with the more expensive AWD configuration. People who can afford AWD would/should also be spending a few extra thousand on more batteries to go along with it. From the specs we have seen to date, it's assumed the SR will ship with a ~50-55KWH battery equating to the estimated 220 mile EPA range. In the real world, the Model 3 AWD has about 10% less efficiency due to weight, extra friction and the less efficient induction motor (when it's used). So that would bring SR AWD range down to around 200 miles. And again, if you need AWD, you probably also want the bigger battery as cold temps and snow will be bringing your effective range down.

So to the OP, keep saving your pennies and maybe look for a used LR AWD in a few years.

I think that AWD will be a popular option in northern regions, even with the SR battery.

I'm assuming that MR battery will be discontinued once SR battery is ready. MR is a temporary option during the wait of the SR. So, if they offer AWD with LR only a lot of people will be disappointed.

Reactions: NeverFollow