Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range in Existing Inventory all over U.S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those in the market or waiting on a SR 5 seater I noticed there are quite a few in stock all over U.S. available for immediate purchase. Just a heads up in case it helps anyone!
I saw that.. There's one in white here in Tampa for $39900 (100% base configuration).. Amazing deal.. That's $15k or so less than I'm paying for the long range.. I asked myself if I could live with 80 miles less range and as we are planning on going on road trips, the answer was no. 244 miles EPA = 180 miles @80 mph at best.. That means about 140 miles @ 80% charge at best. You need a little buffer, so you need to stop every 110 - 120 miles on a 80 mph road trip.. Still.. $39900 is a great deal for a new Model Y.. It's not going to last very long in inventory. I'm sure about that..

I saw that.. There's one in white here in Tampa for $39900 (100% base configuration).. Amazing deal.. That's $15k or so less than I'm paying for the long range.. I asked myself if I could live with 80 miles less range and as we are planning on going on road trips, the answer was no. 244 miles EPA = 180 miles @80 mph at best.. That means about 140 miles @ 80% charge at best. You need a little buffer, so you need to stop every 110 - 120 miles on a 80 mph road trip.. Still.. $39900 is a great deal for a new Model Y.. It's not going to last very long in inventory. I'm sure about that..
Why does your road trip have to be at 80mph? And what’s wrong with stopping for 30 mins every couple hours? If you are taking a road trip isn’t the point to enjoy the road? And the trip? If you just want to get long distance from A to B as fast as possible, fly.

By your math, the 80 miles less range is only 40. Half of 244 gets your 120. Half of 325 is 160. So you go 30 more minutes without stopping but still need to stop for 30 minutes. For a 500 mile road trip that is only one extra stop to charge (4x120=480, 3x160=480). Is saving 30 minutes per road trip worth $10,000+? And if you are charging to 90% to get the full 120/160 range it will charge faster in the SR since you are only adding 40kWh vs 64kWh so you save time and money.

Unless you road trip in areas with limited charging options or need AWD, saying you can’t road trip in a SR is an argument that doesn't hold much water.

Why does your road trip have to be at 80mph? And what’s wrong with stopping for 30 mins every couple hours? If you are taking a road trip isn’t the point to enjoy the road? And the trip? If you just want to get long distance from A to B as fast as possible, fly.

By your math, the 80 miles less range is only 40. Half of 244 gets your 120. Half of 325 is 160. So you go 30 more minutes without stopping but still need to stop for 30 minutes. For a 500 mile road trip that is only one extra stop to charge (4x120=480, 3x160=480). Is saving 30 minutes per road trip worth $10,000+? And if you are charging to 90% to get the full 120/160 range it will charge faster in the SR since you are only adding 40kWh vs 64kWh so you save time and money.

Unless you road trip in areas with limited charging options or need AWD, saying you can’t road trip in a SR is an argument that doesn't hold much water.
There's really only one road trip that I'm going to do frequently. It will be from Lakeland (Central Florida) to McAllen (South Texas) which is 1330 miles each way. Unlike Houston, McAllen is expensive to fly into at $400 to $500 per person from Tampa. We are a family of 4 and flying there twice a year will cost us probably $2500 each time (with rental car). Twice a year, that's $5000.. I can do the trip in the Y for probably $150 in charge. If you drive 1330 miles, you don't want to drive much less than 80 mph.. On I-10 and I-75 you get honked at if you go 70 mph or less. Most of Texas is 75mph limit and everyone goes 80 mph.
While the TESLA route planner will estimate 9 stops with the Y, it should be possible to do it with 6-7 stops.. I prefer to charge a little longer and stop less frequently. I bet that the LR Y can do 200 miles on 80 - 85% charge..

Last edited:

I'm with you on your logic. I seldom drive more than 150 a day. While range would be nice for that once-a-year trip, it's literally going to add a couple of charges to my schedule. Tough to warrant the extra $10k for that.

That said, if someone were to drive 200+ miles per day on a regular basis, I don't think the SR would be for them.

There's really only one road trip that I'm going to do frequently. It will be from Lakeland (Central Florida) to McAllen (South Texas) which is 1330 miles each way. Unlike Houston, McAllen is expensive to fly into at $400 to $500 per person. We are a family of 4 and flying there twice a year will cost us probably $2500 each time (with rental car). Twice a year, that's $5000.. I can do the trip in the Y for probably $150 in charge. If you drive 1330 miles, you don't want to drive much less than 80 mph.. On I-10 and I-75 you get honked at if you go 70 mph or less. Most of Texas is 75mph limit and everyone goes 80 mph.
While the TESLA route planner will estimate 9 stops with the Y, it should be possible to do it with 6-7 stops.. I prefer to charge a little longer and stop less frequently. I bet that the LR Y can do 200 miles on 80 - 85% charge..
How many days are you taking to do this trip? At 80mph that’s 15 hours With no stops.

1300 miles at 300wh/mile is 390kw Each way. At $0.30 (average) that is close to your $150. If you throw in an overnight stop (or two) on the way (2 kids sitting in a call for 15 hours?) that adds in costs. $300 plus lodging there and back might start getting you close to $1000 for each round trip (meals need to be factored in as well). That makes flying only $1500 relative cost. If you don’t stop then that sounds like a pretty miserable drive to do 4 times a year.

And ABRP has that trip at 14 stops and 22 hours total Including charging. Charging more frequently has been proven to be faster overall than charging longer And less often due to taper. How long does the Tesla nav estimate?

Right now Tampa to McAllen is $300 round trip. $1200 for family of 4.

Sorry, early morning brain. 14 charges, 22hr is for SR. 9 charges 21 hours for LR. 5 less charges but only 1 hour saved. $10k for 4 hours total per year is a lot (spread over 10 years that is still $250/hr). If your time is worth that much then you should be flying, let alone dealing with a family in a car for 20 hours. Just the time saved flying would be worth it. Again, the math doesn’t work unless you need AWD or have a specific leg of a journey that requires 200+ miles with no chargers available.

Reactions: RedWhite19
How many days are you taking to do this trip? At 80mph that’s 15 hours With no stops.

1300 miles at 300wh/mile is 390kw Each way. At $0.30 (average) that is close to your $150. If you throw in an overnight stop (or two) on the way (2 kids sitting in a call for 15 hours?) that adds in costs. $300 plus lodging there and back might start getting you close to $1000 for each round trip (meals need to be factored in as well). That makes flying only $1500 relative cost. If you don’t stop then that sounds like a pretty miserable drive to do 4 times a year.

And ABRP has that trip at 14 stops and 22 hours total Including charging. Charging more frequently has been proven to be faster overall than charging longer And less often due to taper. How long does the Tesla nav estimate?

Right now Tampa to McAllen is $300 round trip. $1200 for family of 4.
I have done that trip many times with ICE. We usually leave early morning and make it to Victoria/TX on day 1 and on day 2, we get to McAllen early afternoon.. I use Hotwire for Hotels and never pay more than $100 per night for 3.5 to 4 Star Hotels.. On the way back, we usually stop somewhere in Louisiana.. $200 for Hotels. Kids like junk food which is cheap . It's not more than $60 for the round trip.. likely much less..
The flight is $300 NOW but we can't travel NOW because kids are in school. During summer, prices are much higher. Furthermore, those $300 fares are with no bags.. With 2 kids, we need 2 bags which are $35 each way, $140 round trip for 2 bags.
I understand that charging slows down at higher SoC.. I've been driving a long range EV for 2 years now.. I prefer fewer longer stops for the simple reason that we like to dine in at sit down restaurants. As the trip is 2 days, we will stop twice (lunch and dinner) between Lakeland and Victoria/TX and between Victoria and McAllen, we stop for lunch. Each time, it will take 1 hour or more to order and eat. No reason not to charge to 100% or close to it at those 3 stops. This means that on the trip leg where we have a sit down meal, our next leg can be over 200 miles. So, in the end, only 3 extra stops with short charges other than that. So, based on my calculation and our habits, the 1330 mile trip with the Model Y should take about 30 mins to 1 hour longer than it takes us with ICE. Again, not everyone likes sit down meals on road trips but we do. So, zero time is lost charging to high SoC at those stops.. It's not just on road trips.. we dine in sit down Restaurants about 4 to 5 days even when we are not travelling. Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican, Pizza....we love dining out..
Actually, one of the reasons why I'm changing EVs is the Supercharger Network. With my current EV, I would have to drive 100 miles extra as I would have to drive via San Antonio and Laredo to get to McAllen as there are no CCS chargers on the shortest route and no CCS chargers within 140 miles of McAllen.. There are Tesla Superchargers all along the fastest route. Supercharger Network is amazing..

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrbrock
I am all for dining out but that long of a trip with that many meals I would pay extra for sure to fly and not use my vacation days for driving. If I am using 4 days just to drive that doesn't work for me. I don't work my ass off to earn time off to drive (as much as I love driving), when I am driving I am not enjoying the sun and a fine beverage. When I am on vacation I want to enjoy the sun and a fine beverage as often as possible. More power to you for enjoying that and making it work for you. How long do you stay in TX before returning? Cheers!

Was there a secret price increase for the SR Y? $42,990. Thought they were $39,990 for base.

Let's see how long this one lasts in ATL.
Might've been a 7 seater. I think that premium was $3k.