Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard range journeys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Son lives on Guernsey, we live near Aberdeen so we often visit them and like to take the Tesla. Normal trip is Aberdeen to Poole to take the fast ferry, returning on the conventional ferry to Portsmouth and back up to Aberdeen. Car handles the trip easily, typically with 3 or 4 charging stops (eg Edinburgh Newbridge if I haven’t charged fully at home, Tebay, Hilton Park South, Gordano or Amesbury depending on which route we take).

Reactions: Empato
I am less inclined to use the non-Tesla stalls because of the payment complexity

Gridserve is contactless, dunno about AppleGreen - probably a poxy "Download APP and put money on account" type system to discourage customers - particularly Tesla's which are both numerous, take a high (value) charge and would only need the service once-in-w-while so effort of membership doesn't appeal.

Looking at PlugShare for AppleGreen at South Mimms looks like you'd be lucky to find a stall that was working, or to get a charge at more than a few tens of kW ... although didn't see any Teslas in the reports, so maybe they would charge faster

What do people use for route planning?
I always use the built-in sat nav. It preheats the battery on time and takes the occupancy of the chargers into consideration “en-route”. Something ABRP doesn’t do, and also can’t be bothered with planning chargers before I get in the car. This has never let me down in 18,000 or so miles of driving so far in a SR+.

After recently doing a few longer(ish) journeys, I also now plan a return journey on the sat nav to prevent arriving at the destination with limited charge and more charging options on the return leg.

Reactions: M1tch
Drove across France to the Cote D’Azur in early 2019 in the X with 3 kids and luggage loaded to the gills. Great drive, amazing scenery. Supercharger detours off the main drag were a highlight.

Would be interesting to repeat the trip with a “mixed” fleet of EVs. I suspect it will be that much more challenging accommodating / coordinating both Tesla (dead easy) and non-Tesla high-speed charging stops.

can’t be bothered with planning chargers before I get in the car

I think it makes a difference when I take a longer journey. If I just have a slightly-out-of-range journey I rarely plan beforehand ... but going to, for example, the Alps where I am going to overnight somewhere along the way (or even if I just want something other than a motorway-cafe for lunch) then being able to do some WhatIf and figure out a sensible place to stay, as well as whether there are alternative routes that I might prefer to take on a journey that long - a more scenic route perhaps.

Would be interesting to repeat the trip with a “mixed” fleet of EVs.

You could simulate that in ABetterRoutePlanner (if nothing better to do for an hour or so!)

I tried John O'Groats to Lands End

Model-3 LR Aero 18" 841 miles, Driving = 13h32m, Charging = 4-stops total 1h8m - 250Wh/mile

Porsche Turbo S 843 miles, Driving = 13h45m, Charging = 5 stops 1h36m - 347 Wh/mile

iPace EV400 842 miles, Driving = 13h51, Charging = 6 stops 3h23m - 391 Wh/mile

Nissan Leaf 2022 e+ 62kWh 858 miles, Driving = 14h14m, Charging = 6 stops 4h33m - 284 Wh/mile

• Informative
Reactions: Sean.
I think it makes a difference when I take a longer journey. If I just have a slightly-out-of-range journey I rarely plan beforehand ... but going to, for example, the Alps where I am going to overnight somewhere along the way (or even if I just want something other than a motorway-cafe for lunch) then being able to do some WhatIf and figure out a sensible place to stay, as well as whether there are alternative routes that I might prefer to take on a journey that long - a more scenic route perhaps.

You could simulate that in ABetterRoutePlanner (if nothing better to do for an hour or so!)

I tried John O'Groats to Lands End

Model-3 LR Aero 18" 841 miles, Driving = 13h32m, Charging = 4-stops total 1h8m - 250Wh/mile

Porsche Turbo S 843 miles, Driving = 13h45m, Charging = 5 stops 1h36m - 347 Wh/mile

iPace EV400 842 miles, Driving = 13h51, Charging = 6 stops 3h23m - 391 Wh/mile

Nissan Leaf 2022 e+ 62kWh 858 miles, Driving = 14h14m, Charging = 6 stops 4h33m - 284 Wh/mile
Though these times only apply if all the chargers function as intended ... a good possibility for the Tesla but rather unlikely for the others.