Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Model 3 net purchase price in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoRey

Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner
Feb 15, 2016
Anaheim, CA
Sorry if this question has been posted before.
I'm thinking of finally pulling the trigger now that HW 3 is in production, Tesla is launching the Tesla network next year, improved build quality and Tesla is "selling" the "standard range" Model 3. Given the upgraded interior and battery buffer it seems like a no brainier.
But, I would like to know what the net cost is before any tax rebates or deductions. Since, I will probably end up buying the car cash. I would like to know how much Tesla is charging for delivery and what people are paying in taxes to have the car registered in California. The only option I will be getting is the blue paint, knowing the more features can be added at a later time and overtime they will likely be discounted.

Sorry if this question has been posted before.
I'm thinking of finally pulling the trigger now that HW 3 is in production, Tesla is launching the Tesla network next year, improved build quality and Tesla is "selling" the "standard range" Model 3. Given the upgraded interior and battery buffer it seems like a no brainier.
But, I would like to know what the net cost is before any tax rebates or deductions. Since, I will probably end up buying the car cash. I would like to know how much Tesla is charging for delivery and what people are paying in taxes to have the car registered in California. The only option I will be getting is the blue paint, knowing the more features can be added at a later time and overtime they will likely be discounted.

Plus $1200 for delivery
Plus $1000 for blue paint
Plus about $4500 for taxes and registration

Probably roughly $41,700 out the door

I don't know why anyone cares that HW3 is being included in the vehicles or not. If your car came with 2.5, you get 3.0 when purchasing FSD. If you don't have FSD, then you don't need HW3.
Well that's simple. For one Tesla will probably allow owners join their ride sharing network as long as they have the correct hardware. Without having to purchase FSD or Autopilot. I will probably get autopilot at some point in the future or when they are having a end of the quarter "promotion" going on as they have had in the past. Not to mention that having HW 3 allows one to simply pay for a over the air upgrade.

You also may recieve a $3,500 Tax Credit, a check for $2,500 from State of California, a $1,000 check from Edison and any other goodies for getting an electric car. You also qualify for car pool stickers, reduced toll charges, and much lower fuel costs as you drive. Typically service costs will be less as well.

Reactions: ChrisH
You also may recieve a $3,500 Tax Credit, a check for $2,500 from State of California, a $1,000 check from Edison and any other goodies for getting an electric car. You also qualify for car pool stickers, reduced toll charges, and much lower fuel costs as you drive. Typically service costs will be less as well.

Good point. If they didn’t know about all of that they might think $41,700 was “too much” - though if they are paying cash, I would think $41,700 is not too much haha

To be clear, there a possible $2500 California rebate (NOT a tax credit): CVRP Eligible Vehicles but there are Eligibility guidelines. (I make too much $ some I'm ineligible. Federal tax credit has no income cap.)

The amount of utility rebate (not a tax credit), if any, depends on which utility. See Zero-Emission Vehicles under "The electric utilities provide rebates to their customers that drive plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs)." It is a $800 one-time rebate per VIN for PG&E, for instance. It was $500 in prior years.

DriveClean - PEV Resource Center may help.

Because Tesla will get 20-30% cut of the fare. Why would they turn away free money at zero cost to them. They could just turn off FSD after the ride.

Because it would allow owners to get occasional FSD use at a huge discount.

You just hail your own car when you want to use FSD, and only "pay" 20% of the fare to Tesla for it.

Oh, I drank too much at the bar? I'll hail my own car and pay Tesla $4 to drive me home, saving $7996 over having to have bought the feature.

Same reason they have rejected every call for offering a monthly subscription for drivers aids- they don't want you to be able to pay them a ton less $ to only get the feature the few times you "need" it. All or nothing.