Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Model 3 Now Available for $35,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wait is over – Tesla is now selling a $35,000 all-electric sedan.

The announcement was teased by Elon Musk is recent days and Tesla made the budget Model 3 available for order Thursday afternoon.

The Standard Range base model will start at $35,000, travel 220 miles on a single charge, hit a top speed of 130 mph and go from 0 to 60mph in 5.6 seconds.

Standard Interior includes:

Manual seat and steering adjustment

Cloth seats and base trim

Basic audio

Standard maps and navigation

Center console with storage and 4 USB ports

A version called “Standard Range Plus” is $37,000 with 240 miles of range, a top speed of 140mph, and a 0 to 60 mph time of 5.3 seconds.

Standard Range Plus also give the option for a “Partial Premium Interior” that includes:

12-way power adjustable heated front seats

Premium seat material and trim

Upgraded audio – immersive sound

Standard maps & navigation

LED fog lamps

Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones

Tesla also announced that it is shifting sales worldwide to online only. “You can now buy a Tesla in North America via your phone in about 1 minute, and that capability will soon be extended worldwide,” the company said in a blog post.

Tesla said it wants to make it easier to try out and return a Tesla. Consumers can now return a car within seven days or 1,000 miles for a full refund.

“Quite literally, you could buy a Tesla, drive several hundred miles for a weekend road trip with friends and then return it for free,” the post said.

Shifting all sales online, combined with other ongoing cost efficiencies, will enable Tesla to lower all vehicle prices by about 6% on average, allowing the company to achieve the $35,000 Model 3 price point earlier than expected.

“Over the next few months, we will be winding down many of our stores, with a small number of stores in high-traffic locations remaining as galleries, showcases and Tesla information centers,” the post said. “The important thing for customers in the United States to understand is that, with online sales, anyone in any state can quickly and easily buy a Tesla.”

Tesla also announced a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. The upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
I also noticed that Tesla has reduced price for Mid Range Model3 on their site. Does that mean they are going to refund money to the owners who just bought their Mid Range?

Also, the Autopilot price seems to be very less now. Is this low price good for everyone who didn't buy autopilot at the time of purchasing car? In other words, do they also get the low priced autopilot if they decide to buy it now?

• Funny
Reactions: CyberShy
I also noticed that Tesla has reduced price for Mid Range Model3 on their site. Does that mean they are going to refund money to the owners who just bought their Mid Range?

Also, the Autopilot price seems to be very less now. Is this low price good for everyone who didn't buy autopilot at the time of purchasing car? In other words, do they also get the low priced autopilot if they decide to buy it now?

I'm wondering how many people feel comfortable ordering something so durable as a car on the web, without any sales staff to talk to... at all? More importantly, if this is later proven to be a mistake, it may be hard to 'get back' the institutional knowledge that is lost when the sales staff are told to hit the road. It really strikes me as being penny wise and pound foolish.

I already tried to get a refund for the EAP that I tacked onto my MR M3 at the end of January after the 30 day trial (foolish me) but got a solid "no" from the customer service rep who also told me that EAP is now been redefined as "Autopilot" and is less feature rich. It's impossible to tell where the line will be drawn for existing EAP owners vs. FSD features they are now selling, and he could not answer me (it's too new and they got no guidance it seems). So....will EAP owners today be grandfathered into new summon capability, "Navigate on Autopilot" and other capabilities now listed under "Full Self-Driving" and have have to pay extra (only) for city driving (and if so, how much)? I LOVE the OTA updates BUT Tesla must make it clear what we is included for the premium prices that earlier adopters paid under the old pricing and prior feature packs.

I already tried to get a refund for the EAP that I tacked onto my MR M3 at the end of January after the 30 day trial (foolish me) but got a solid "no" from the customer service rep who also told me that EAP is now been redefined as "Autopilot" and is less feature rich. It's impossible to tell where the line will be drawn for existing EAP owners vs. FSD features they are now selling, and he could not answer me (it's too new and they got no guidance it seems). So....will EAP owners today be grandfathered into new summon capability, "Navigate on Autopilot" and other capabilities now listed under "Full Self-Driving" and have have to pay extra (only) for city driving (and if so, how much)? I LOVE the OTA updates BUT Tesla must make it clear what we is included for the premium prices that earlier adopters paid under the old pricing and prior feature packs.

I doubt they would remove features from those that currently have EAP...

Last edited:
I'm wondering how many people feel comfortable ordering something so durable as a car on the web, without any sales staff to talk to... at all? More importantly, if this is later proven to be a mistake, it may be hard to 'get back' the institutional knowledge that is lost when the sales staff are told to hit the road. It really strikes me as being penny wise and pound foolish.
I feel bad for the sales people but who needs them when the prices are fixed. And knowing that hundreds of thousands of people were willing to put down a deposit even before the car was revealed kind of tells that people are comfortable bypassing the dealer altogether.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I think it is great news that the 35K M3 is finally available. It will be more profitable than people think as they make decent margins on paint, wheels and AP, with the additional sales volume that the 35K price point will generate. I am miffed that the car I paid 53K for 4 months ago is now 47K, with differences in new Federal tax incentives is $2250 less. I did not buy EAP and glad I decided to wait as its now a 3K option that I hope will trickle down to all owners and rebate those who paid $5-7K. With that off my chest I know how people 100 years ago who paid $825 for a Ford Model T in 1909 to see the price drop to $395 by 1920.

Reactions: APotatoGod
knowing that hundreds of thousands of people were willing to put down a deposit even before the car was revealed kind of tells that people are comfortable bypassing the dealer altogether.
Right, but once that 'early adopter' group is tapped out... how do normal people feel about taking this plunge, without a human face to guide them? I'm not denying that there are a bunch of early adopters. What I'm saying is that they are like the marines. Few and proud.

So, had I waited a couple of months, the net price reduction for my AWD would be $2,250 -- basically a new set of nice wheels. Sigh...

This is what happens when you have a dysfunctional company.

Huh? Other car makers regularly give all sorts of price breaks of $1000 to $5000 based on who knows what.
Why can't Tesla do this as well?

Right, but once that 'early adopter' group is tapped out... how do normal people feel about taking this plunge, without a human face to guide them? I'm not denying that there are a bunch of early adopters. What I'm saying is that they are like the marines. Few and proud.

They get a 1000 mile, zero risk return option now.
Would you rather talk to a sales person, who might know nothing or make stuff up (not saying anyone does this) or just buy the car knowing you can return it.