Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Model 3 Now Available for $35,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wait is over – Tesla is now selling a $35,000 all-electric sedan.

The announcement was teased by Elon Musk is recent days and Tesla made the budget Model 3 available for order Thursday afternoon.

The Standard Range base model will start at $35,000, travel 220 miles on a single charge, hit a top speed of 130 mph and go from 0 to 60mph in 5.6 seconds.

Standard Interior includes:

Manual seat and steering adjustment

Cloth seats and base trim

Basic audio

Standard maps and navigation

Center console with storage and 4 USB ports

A version called “Standard Range Plus” is $37,000 with 240 miles of range, a top speed of 140mph, and a 0 to 60 mph time of 5.3 seconds.

Standard Range Plus also give the option for a “Partial Premium Interior” that includes:

12-way power adjustable heated front seats

Premium seat material and trim

Upgraded audio – immersive sound

Standard maps & navigation

LED fog lamps

Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones

Tesla also announced that it is shifting sales worldwide to online only. “You can now buy a Tesla in North America via your phone in about 1 minute, and that capability will soon be extended worldwide,” the company said in a blog post.

Tesla said it wants to make it easier to try out and return a Tesla. Consumers can now return a car within seven days or 1,000 miles for a full refund.

“Quite literally, you could buy a Tesla, drive several hundred miles for a weekend road trip with friends and then return it for free,” the post said.

Shifting all sales online, combined with other ongoing cost efficiencies, will enable Tesla to lower all vehicle prices by about 6% on average, allowing the company to achieve the $35,000 Model 3 price point earlier than expected.

“Over the next few months, we will be winding down many of our stores, with a small number of stores in high-traffic locations remaining as galleries, showcases and Tesla information centers,” the post said. “The important thing for customers in the United States to understand is that, with online sales, anyone in any state can quickly and easily buy a Tesla.”

Tesla also announced a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. The upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
Yes it's real that Tesla sell a 35k car: it's the Model 3. Two weeks may well be optimistic but I doubt it will take all that long. The prices shown (less than 35k are with californian incentives added. The 35k is the actual price, nothing to do with saving money on gas). Interior is what it is. Some Tesla galleries will still be around to take a look at one, but I have a good idea about the difference between leather and cloth already. There are separate Service Centres.

And being a non-Tesla owner I'd have a real hard time ordering a car without seeing it first. How do you decide on things like interior options without sitting in one? Where would I get it serviced? I'd be more comfortable having someone tell me about all those details.

Depends on where you live, but a list of service centers are here: US Tesla Service Centers | Tesla

And this is how you order service, including through a "ranger" that will come to your home or work: Service | Tesla

And being a non-Tesla owner I'd have a real hard time ordering a car without seeing it first. How do you decide on things like interior options without sitting in one? Where would I get it serviced? I'd be more comfortable having someone tell me about all those details.

There's the one week return policy, though I was able to go to my local sales room and get a weekend long test drive without issue.

The gas savings thing is totally spurious, but easy enough to calculate. Total miles driven per year divided by your cars mpg times the cost of the gas you're using will give you yearly gas costs. For elecriciele just get your KWH cost and calculate the efficiency of the model you're looking at. I've been using the 27 kwh per hundred miles calculation.

Yeah, but you also get to drive a Volt. Sorry, but they're simply not even remotely comparable vehicles.

Not sure I agree with that. I've seen a model 3 close up at my detailer when he was applying film to the car. He went out of his way to show me how bad the paint and build quality was on the car. The gen 2 Volt is a very impressive car and this is coming from someone who has owned multiple Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches.

I just did a build on their website and the car came to $50,000 when you select decent interior, range, paint and wheel options. And that's without the self driving option that adds $5,000 more. I need to be able to drive to Chicago and back so would probably need the highest range version during cold weather.

They're showing the model 3 starting at $26,950. I think that's misleading. It's fair to count the tax credit but not "gas savings". With gas prices so low it's nearly a push whether I charge my Volt or use gas.

how expensive is your electricity here? APS offer s 2c/kwh off peak which makes the FUSC option not as valuable.

Is this real that I can order a car over the internet today and they'll make and deliver it in 2 weeks? Seems impossible and sorry I don't trust much that Tesla has to say.

I've owned 3 Chevy Volts and the model 3 is interesting.

Where would I get it serviced? I'd be more comfortable having someone tell me about all those details.

Not sure I agree with that. I've seen a model 3 close up at my detailer when he was applying film to the car. He went out of his way to show me how bad the paint and build quality was on the car.

The gen 2 Volt is a very impressive car and this is coming from someone who has owned multiple Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches.

I need to be able to drive to Chicago and back so would probably need the highest range version during cold weather.

What Lamborghinis did you own? And which Ferrari's?

I'm having trouble understanding your interest in the Model 3 and your concerns.

You've owned Ferrari's and Lambo's and you're concerned about where you could get your Model 3 serviced?o_O

You owned multiple Italian supercars and you're worried about the build quality of a Tesla?:cool:

You need the longest range Model 3 because it needs to be able to make the round trip to Chicago in the winter but the availability of the $35K short-range Model 3 is what caught your interest?o_O And you don't trust much of what Tesla has to say?:confused:

If I believed all that, I wouldn't even waste my time on a Tesla forum, I would go buy another Volt! Or a couple of Lamborghinis. A 2019 Lamborghini Aventador Aventador S Roadster with it's 22.5 gallon fuel tank can easily make a winter round trip of around 250 miles without needing to fill up. Or, you could just take one of your Chevy Volts. I know the all-electric winter range on the freeway is only about 30 miles realistically, but the gas engine will get you close to 400 miles and gas is cheap.:D

I'm having trouble understanding your interest in the Model 3 and your concerns.

You've owned Ferrari's and Lambo's and you're concerned about where you could get your Model 3 serviced?o_O

You owned multiple Italian supercars and you're worried about the build quality of a Tesla?:cool:

You need the longest range Model 3 because it needs to be able to make the round trip to Chicago in the winter but the availability of the $35K short-range Model 3 is what caught your interest?o_O And you don't trust much of what Tesla has to say?:confused:

If I believed all that, I wouldn't even waste my time on a Tesla forum, I would go buy another Volt! Or a couple of Lamborghinis. A 2019 Lamborghini Aventador Aventador S Roadster with it's 22.5 gallon fuel tank can easily make a winter round trip of around 250 miles without needing to fill up. Or, you could just take one of your Chevy Volts. I know the all-electric winter range on the freeway is only about 30 miles realistically, but the gas engine will get you close to 400 miles and gas is cheap.:D

This....ja ja ja ja. Comedy of the day.

It's right there in the early adopters job description: You will pay more and get less.

Technology and cars keep getting better every year. If you want the best value, just wait 20 more years before buying. You will be astounded at how much more you get.

Myself, I wanted to start enjoying the superior qualities of the Model 3 as soon as possible! And I think it's great the way my car keeps getting better with the free over-the-air updates! What a great time we live in.

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo and billh13850

If I believed all that, I wouldn't even waste my time on a Tesla forum, I would go buy another Volt! Or a couple of Lamborghinis. A 2019 Lamborghini Aventador S Roadster with it's 22.5 gallon fuel tank can easily make a winter round trip of around 250 miles without needing to fill up. Or, you could just take one of your Chevy Volts. I know the all-electric winter range on the freeway is only about 30 miles realistically, but the gas engine will get you close to 400 miles and gas is cheap.:D

There was no need to offend my Chevy Volt. It's very well engineered car and I love it. The gen 2 is a great car. I'm guessing I was an adopter of electric cars before most people in this forum.

With regards to other cars, I've owned a 355, 360 and currently have a 458, also a Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 911 turbo, 911, 944S, Boxster, NSX, RX7 TT, etc. If you don't believe me check out my website www.ferrarifobs.com or search for "gobble" on Ferrarichat or Lamborghini-talk. I'm well known on those forums.

With all that unnecessary stuff out of the way, no I didn't realize there were different ranges of the model 3. I find it to be a very interesting car at a $35,000 price point, enough so to start poking around in the tesla forums. It's somewhat less appealing though at $50k+.

I bought my last Volt only a few months ago and claiming the tax credit in 2018. How does Tesla handle trades if someone wanted to go that route?

IMG_0687.JPG

005 (2017_11_21 13_52_40 UTC).JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

Last edited:
There was no need to offend my Chevy Volt.

I didn't say anything bad about your Chevy Volts!

With all that unnecessary stuff out of the way, no I didn't realize there were different ranges of the model 3. I find it to be a very interesting car at a $35,000 price point, enough so to start poking around in the tesla forums. It's somewhat less appealing though at $50k+.

With comments like that, I bet you've never driven a Model 3.

There was no need to offend my Chevy Volt. It's very well engineered car and I love it. The gen 2 is a great car. I'm guessing I was an adopter of electric cars before most people in this forum.

With regards to other cars, I've owned a 355, 360 and currently have a 458, also a Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 911 turbo, 911, 944S, Boxster, NSX, RX7 TT, etc. If you don't believe me check out my website www.ferrarifobs.com or search for "gobble" on Ferrarichat or Lamborghini-talk. I'm well known on those forums.

I bought my last Volt only a few months ago and claiming the tax credit in 2018. How does Tesla handle trades if someone wanted to go that route?

So I am curious, why is the Model 3 less appealing to you at $50k+? You said that it is very interesting at $35k but it almost seems like you are only looking at the cost of a generic fully electric vehicle.

I look at it as a daily driver utility car. I'll put 20,000 miles on it a year. The volt I just bought had an MSRP of I think $34 or $36k. I paid something like $22.5 after the federal tax credit. And I personally think it's a wonderful car. One model 3 is not worth 2 volts.

The technology in the model 3 appeals to me. I was at the Petersen Museum a few months back and they had a cutaway Tesla there. It's just cool. I don't know about $50k cool though. All the issues with build quality and paint quality also bother me.

If I could really buy one for $35k that has the range I need I probably would.

And I've never driven a Model 3. I'm in Milwaukee and no dealer here.

I look at it as a daily driver utility car. I'll put 20,000 miles on it a year. The volt I just bought had an MSRP of I think $34 or $36k. I paid something like $22.5 after the federal tax credit. And I personally think it's a wonderful car. One model 3 is not worth 2 volts.

The technology in the model 3 appeals to me. I was at the Petersen Museum a few months back and they had a cutaway Tesla there. It's just cool. I don't know about $50k cool though. All the issues with build quality and paint quality also bother me.

If I could really buy one for $35k that has the range I need I probably would.

So you like the hardware technology of the car and range, but don't care about the software technology and bells/whistles or traditional trim levels...got it... Nothing wrong with that, just was curious as to where you stood. The issue I think you would pretty much have with Tesla then is that to get the higher range battery you are automatically pushed to higher trim levels that you may not care about.

I think a lot of people could find a price/configuration more appealing to them if they could pick a lower trim level but JUST increase the battery size. At some point I am sure that will be an option, just not right now.

That explains screwy statements like:

One model 3 is not worth 2 volts.

Get thee to a test drive. May I recommend the P3D for you. If that's too rich, test drive the Model 3 LR. I guarantee you will be blown away. Not that you'll like it better than your Italian supercars but I know how impractical they can be as daily drivers. And what is it worth to have your beautiful wife arrive in a Tesla vs. a Chevy Volt (said only half in jest). And you probably won't fully appreciate this until you drive one.

Reactions: Arpe