Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Plus + FSD or Long Range AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - my budget is $50k max. What is the better buy? SR+ with FSD or Long Range AWD without any extras? I do occasional road trips for work and after looking at route planning I would need to charge 2 times with SR and once with LR on those trips. Other than that it’s all local driving. Is FSD worth it?

Long Range. While AP works well and FSD will keep getting better, you absolutely can NOT rely on it. Based on the couple hiccups I've seen, I would be very laser focused at every stop light and stop sign once FSD was released for city streets.

Get the LR AWD. You'll get the larger battery and more range, the full premium interior, faster charging at V2 super chargers (~140kW vs 100kW) and access to about 215kW+ from V3 superchargers, all wheel drive for bad conditions, faster acceleration.... plus you'll have standard AP which works well on long distance freeways.

Maybe in a year or two FSD will be worth it and you can upgrade after the fact, but go long range.

I couldn't afford long range so I had to go SR+ and while the range works for my life, every day I wish I had longer range to just do a trip without any supercharger or something. Each time I do supercharge I wish I could hit 140kW rather then 100kW. Every single time I turn on the audio system I wish all the speakers were active because it sounds good... so I know it would sound AMAZING with the full premium. I came from a Chevy Volt which had about 100 hp less and about twice as long from 0 to 60, so the SR+ is fun... loads and loads of fun, but man every time I stomp on the accelerator I just wish I had the AWD because I can't even think about how quick that must feel!

Or..... get the SR+ and spend ~$5k on getting a full PPF applied to every paint surface and XR+ ceramic tint, but probably still skip the FSD cost.

Reactions: Daniel_6
Long Range. While AP works well and FSD will keep getting better, you absolutely can NOT rely on it. Based on the couple hiccups I've seen, I would be very laser focused at every stop light and stop sign once FSD was released for city streets.

Get the LR AWD. You'll get the larger battery and more range, the full premium interior, faster charging at V2 super chargers (~140kW vs 100kW) and access to about 215kW+ from V3 superchargers, all wheel drive for bad conditions, faster acceleration.... plus you'll have standard AP which works well on long distance freeways.

Maybe in a year or two FSD will be worth it and you can upgrade after the fact, but go long range.

I couldn't afford long range so I had to go SR+ and while the range works for my life, every day I wish I had longer range to just do a trip without any supercharger or something. Each time I do supercharge I wish I could hit 140kW rather then 100kW. Every single time I turn on the audio system I wish all the speakers were active because it sounds good... so I know it would sound AMAZING with the full premium. I came from a Chevy Volt which had about 100 hp less and about twice as long from 0 to 60, so the SR+ is fun... loads and loads of fun, but man every time I stomp on the accelerator I just wish I had the AWD because I can't even think about how quick that must feel!

Or..... get the SR+ and spend ~$5k on getting a full PPF applied to every paint surface and XR+ ceramic tint, but probably still skip the FSD cost.
You just confirmed my decision to stick with a LR AWD. While waiting & waiting, considered pulling the plug and going with an SR+. Thanks for the honest opinion.

Good write up..

I see you live in Orange County. We have FSD on one of our Model 3’s and also live in Orange County. We never use it because traffic is so crazy around here that it just can’t handle all of the distractions thrown at it. Spend your money on AWD so that you get the extra range and speed. If you really want FSD down the road you can always add it later.

Reactions: Daniel_6
I have an LR AWD with FSD and I am in North OC. If I had to give up one it would FSD.

It sounds like you may have made up your mind but if you are close and want to experience both before you decide message me.