Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience is negative in this department. I plugged in on a warm and sunny day around 75F at 25% remaining. And the car would not exceed 60KW charging speed. And this was on a 120KW station stall A with no one in B.

But again, this was only one time, so maybe other factors at work here

Here are my model results, but it's important to note that these are not based on any actual SR+ charging events. More background here: Updated Model 3 Charging Profiles & Durations

If these are close, then the only real advantage for a V3 Supercharger will be the dedicated power, instead of the power sharing that is experienced at busy V2 stations.

20190406, SR+ profile.png

20190406, SR+ chg duration.png

• Informative
Reactions: Kmartyn
Here are my model results, but it's important to note that these are not based on any actual SR+ charging events. More background here: Updated Model 3 Charging Profiles & Durations

If these are close, then the only real advantage for a V3 Supercharger will be the dedicated power, instead of the power sharing that is experienced at busy V2 stations.

View attachment 394372
View attachment 394373

These are only estimates based on a model. Do we have real world data yet? I have a feeling that the SR+ will not get the full rate as LR.

FYI... Couple of new YouTube videos show the SR+ peaks at superchargers at 102kW

Just found this guy getting 102 kW at about 3:45

But notice he's got 53 miles remaining, which for the SR+ is just over 22%. Lower than predicted on @Zoomit 's charts for a 22% SOC, but I wouldn't say that's definitely the peak until we see someone actually start charging at 10% or lower.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
In that video, the ambient temp was 73F and he only drove 11 miles to get to the Supercharger. The low cobalt content in the battery means it's very sensitive to temperature. It's possible the battery was too cold to accept full rate...so inconclusive. This scenario will be mitigated by using On Route Battery Warmup (new in 2019.12) and driving for a bit before charging.

Here's a video that also peaks at 102kW but without context for battery temperature.

@J-Ho Any other video's out there?

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and Big Earl
In that video, the ambient temp was 73F and he only drove 11 miles to get to the Supercharger. The low cobalt content in the battery means it's very sensitive to temperature. It's possible the battery was too cold to accept full rate...so inconclusive. This scenario will be mitigated by using On Route Battery Warmup (new in 2019.12) and driving for a bit before charging.

Here's a video that also peaks at 102kW but without context for battery temperature.

@J-Ho Any other video's out there?

Do you have a recommended methodology for testing real world charge rates against optimal rates? Something like:

1. Pick a warm day to test (above 75F? below 100F?)
  2. Start with SOC below 10%
  3. Ensure you drive about X miles before stopping at the supercharger to warm up the battery
And absent something like TeslaFi, would a spreadsheet suffice for tracking rates? Recording SOC, charge rate, amps, volts at every X% interval?

Do you have a recommended methodology for testing real world charge rates against optimal rates? Something like:

1. Pick a warm day to test (above 75F? below 100F?)
  2. Start with SOC below 10%
  3. Ensure you drive about X miles before stopping at the supercharger to warm up the battery
And absent something like TeslaFi, would a spreadsheet suffice for tracking rates? Recording SOC, charge rate, amps, volts at every X% interval?
It's the battery temperature that matters and it changes very slowly, such as based on the average ambient conditions it's been in over the last 12 hours. That is until the discharge rate is high enough that internal resistance warms it up (or the car does it via On Route Battery Warmup). To warm a battery via driving requires high discharge. We've driven our Model 3 for 2 hours but at a light discharge rate and afterwards the battery did not recharge quickly, likely it was too cold and the drive did not warm it up.

So use On Route Battery Warmup (available in 2019.12) or drive for ~1hr on a warm day at high speeds (or high discharge rate: uphill, fast acceleration, etc) and recharge from a low battery level. Taking video of the screen is an easy way to get all the data, or use TeslaFi as you mentioned. The data of interest is: SOC (%) and charge rate (kW). Other conditions to control for are shared stalls and overheated or rate-limited Supercharger hardware, which is hard to identify.

I have a standard range plus that I'm taking from Fresno to Las Vegas this Sunday so I can try to report back with some data if you still want it?
Traveling at a leisurely pace, plan to use 5kWh to get from Tehachapi to Mojave. That's about 10% for an SR+. If you have less than ~15% when you get to Tehachapi, I recommend stopping at the ChargePoint J1772 station in Tehachapi for a few minutes to make sure you can get to Mojave.

I am about to order either the SR+ or the LR RWD. My final decision is very dependent on the ability of the SR+ to actually take advantage of the increased v2 charging speed and the new v3 chargers - or it is actually limited at 102 kW charging that some observations seem to suggest.

Does anybody have some knowledge to help me?