TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Standard Speaker Placements on New Model S's

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Fred Drake, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Fred Drake

Fred Drake Member

Hi guys,

I bought my Model S about two months ago and have a question about the standard speaker system. From what I've read, the standard speaker system has 7 speakers while the premium has 12 (11 tweeters and 1 subwoofer). I looked in my car, however, and can see speaker grills in what look to be nine places: One on each door, one in each corner on the dashboard, one on each side just a few inches away just up the sides, and one in the center.

Shining my flashlight through the grills, I can clearly see the small tweeters on the sides in the front and on the doors. I don't have the angle to see through the far front dash area, but just go by what I think I'm hearing.

Most of the threads I read about the standard vs premium systems were dated around 2013. Has the standard system changed for the latest vehicles? If not, can someone tell me exactly where these seven speakers are located in the car?

Thank you!

2. hpjtv

hpjtv Member

#2 hpjtv, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    You said you found 9 speaker locations, mention 7 places... in the standard 7 speaker system. Sounds about right to me. If you go into the design studio and click on the image for the 12 speaker system, you can see 2 in the hatch, 1 subwoofer, one on each door and 5 at the front by the windshield.

Click link for standard specifications:

Model S Specifications | Tesla Motors

3. aus

aus Member

Does anyone have the sizes of the speakers for the standard system?

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

5. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

OP said: "I looked in my car, however, and can see speaker grills in what look to be nine places: One on each door (4), one in each corner on the dashboard (2), one on each side just a few inches away just up the sides (2), and one in the center (1)."
    (Numbers added by me)

That's 9.

- - - Updated - - -

OP is looking for standard system.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are diagrams of both systems created by a forum member a while back.

6. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

i have a 2013 s85 standard

but have a speaker in the lift gate which looks to house two speakers...but nothing coming out of it....

is this a bad speaker or just a dummy

dont know if I have a subwoofer or way to find out if I have a premium set up or not

7. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Do you have a cavity in the right side of your trunk similar to the left? If so, then you don't have a sub, and therefor not premium.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

It's just a dummy if your don't have premium sound. All Model S vehicles have that grill there so they only make one trim piece.

9. Fred Drake

Fred Drake Member

Thanks cgiGuy! That's exactly what I'm looking for.