Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Speaker Placements on New Model S's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I bought my Model S about two months ago and have a question about the standard speaker system. From what I've read, the standard speaker system has 7 speakers while the premium has 12 (11 tweeters and 1 subwoofer). I looked in my car, however, and can see speaker grills in what look to be nine places: One on each door, one in each corner on the dashboard, one on each side just a few inches away just up the sides, and one in the center.

Shining my flashlight through the grills, I can clearly see the small tweeters on the sides in the front and on the doors. I don't have the angle to see through the far front dash area, but just go by what I think I'm hearing.

Most of the threads I read about the standard vs premium systems were dated around 2013. Has the standard system changed for the latest vehicles? If not, can someone tell me exactly where these seven speakers are located in the car?

Thank you!

Does anyone have the sizes of the speakers for the standard system?

photo credit to Light Harmonic who is currently designing a powerful aftermarket system:

Tesla_Top_View_Current_Design.jpg

details: Premium Audio System for Tesla Model S by Light Harmonic

You said you found 9 speaker locations, mention 7 places... in the standard 7 speaker system.

OP said: "I looked in my car, however, and can see speaker grills in what look to be nine places: One on each door (4), one in each corner on the dashboard (2), one on each side just a few inches away just up the sides (2), and one in the center (1)."
(Numbers added by me)

That's 9.

- - - Updated - - -

photo credit to Light Harmonic who is currently designing a powerful aftermarket system:

OP is looking for standard system.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are diagrams of both systems created by a forum member a while back.

i have a 2013 s85 standard

but have a speaker in the lift gate which looks to house two speakers...but nothing coming out of it....

is this a bad speaker or just a dummy

dont know if I have a subwoofer or way to find out if I have a premium set up or not

i have a 2013 s85 standard

but have a speaker in the lift gate which looks to house two speakers...but nothing coming out of it....

is this a bad speaker or just a dummy

dont know if I have a subwoofer or way to find out if I have a premium set up or not

It's just a dummy if your don't have premium sound. All Model S vehicles have that grill there so they only make one trim piece.