Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard suspension a little soft/wobbly while cornering at speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I just got my 60 last Saturday and am totally in love with it. I was just wondering if my experience with the standard suspension is normal or not. I'm used to a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS (I know, big step up from this ancient, small, nimble rally car to this enormous luxury sedan), and to me, the Model S seems to, uh, wobble I guess, when cornering at moderately high speeds. Sorry - I'm not enough of a car guy to know the right words - the suspension is spongier and bouncier than I'd expect? I haven't really been putting it through the wringer, so I can't narrow it down more than that, but I've definitely had some onramps where I'll be slowly accelerating or gently braking, but going at a pretty good clip while cornering, and it'll dive in, then bounce back softly, and it's not an entirely confidence inspiring feeling, although I've yet to hear or feel the tires start to chirp or slip. It just feels icky when it unweights, where my gut is telling me it might let go (even though it doesn't), and it feels like I have a tiny bit of low frequency speed wobbles with the weighting/unweighting. Is that a normal thing for this car with standard suspension? All the reviews I read seemed to think the super low center of gravity made the car feel rock solid, but it doesn't feel that way to me.

Also wondering if feeling I get with the "sport" steering setting is normal - to me the wheel seems harder to turn, but it doesn't really feel like I have more road feel.

I wonder if something is "wrong", or if I'm just really, really used to thirteen years of driving a car with lots of road feel and got used to the way it handled, and that it'll just take a little bit of time to mind-meld with this car as well.

Thanks!

Hey, I just got my 60 last Saturday and am totally in love with it. I was just wondering if my experience with the standard suspension is normal or not. I'm used to a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS (I know, big step up from this ancient, small, nimble rally car to this enormous luxury sedan), and to me, the Model S seems to, uh, wobble I guess, when cornering at moderately high speeds. Sorry - I'm not enough of a car guy to know the right words - the suspension is spongier and bouncier than I'd expect? I haven't really been putting it through the wringer, so I can't narrow it down more than that, but I've definitely had some onramps where I'll be slowly accelerating or gently braking, but going at a pretty good clip while cornering, and it'll dive in, then bounce back softly, and it's not an entirely confidence inspiring feeling, although I've yet to hear or feel the tires start to chirp or slip. It just feels icky when it unweights, where my gut is telling me it might let go (even though it doesn't), and it feels like I have a tiny bit of low frequency speed wobbles with the weighting/unweighting. Is that a normal thing for this car with standard suspension? All the reviews I read seemed to think the super low center of gravity made the car feel rock solid, but it doesn't feel that way to me.

Also wondering if feeling I get with the "sport" steering setting is normal - to me the wheel seems harder to turn, but it doesn't really feel like I have more road feel.

I wonder if something is "wrong", or if I'm just really, really used to thirteen years of driving a car with lots of road feel and got used to the way it handled, and that it'll just take a little bit of time to mind-meld with this car as well.

Thanks!
I have had my s85 sor 4 days and I 100% agree with you. This and the seat comfort are the only things keeping me from a perfect review. But I still love it immensely and don't regret my decision to trade in my Porsche Panamera which hugged the road with far more stability.

My P85 with air suspension does similar things. Rear suspension doesn't feel particularly good to me. Kinda bouncy or floaty feeling. Def not the rock solid, on rails feeling lots of people described. Steering settings just change steering effort, so what you're feeling in that regard is correct.

Thanks!

Check your tire pressures all around and also make sure your lug nut are tightened to the torque spec. Tire pressure a little low can do weird things with the MS.