Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Tesla audio then DIY/custom upgraded - question on software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Like many others, I planned to simply upgrade the audio on my own knowing well that the $5K PUP wasn't worth it to me and could get a better bang for the buck on my own. For reference, I have a Sept 17 delivery MS.

I know the NVX and other options exist but plan on going custom likely -- in relation to the software specifically and the free Tesla Slacker account, I believe they don't allow for 320kbps streaming unless you have the PUP/UHFS packages.

So the question...those of you who upgraded your audio on a standard audio delivery from Tesla, were you able to ask them to upgrade your car software to allow for the higher bitrate streaming, or did they tell you to pound sand? Does having a personally paid-for Slacker account get around the issue?

Any guidance is appreciated :)

Not sure why this 5-year-old post was revived. As to the original question, today, no cars get an option for higher bitrate streaming audio. My guess is it is running at 120 kbps. At one time there was an option to boost it to 160 kbps if you had UHFS, but that's been gone for many years. I've never heard of any option for 320 kbps in the past.

Now Elon hinted that a high-bit-rate streaming audio option may be in the works. My guess would be an extra cost subscription service as it would take more bandwidth.