Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard vs. Leather seats for kids?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are everyone's thoughts with how stain-resistant the standard textile seats are or will be? I have 2 young kids (3 & 7) so I'm concerned about them spilling things etc. I don't have too much experience with S seats (don't own a Tesla currently) but for those that have an S and maybe went to the X reveal, how do they compare?

The nice thing about leather is that nothing soaks through to the foam, which can then get stinky over time with typical fabric. I don't know if these textile seats have a barrier below the fabric. I find the leather to be very easy to clean. But I don't have kids, just spaz friends. But I would be worried about the young'uns scratching up the leather, which will not happen on textile. That'll hurt resale quite a bit. Maybe you could wrap the kids in bubble wrap every time they get in the car! Little devils. Without a doubt, whatever you go with, use a stain protector. I agree on the white issue. I wouldn't want it, no matter how resilient it may be. But that's just my taste.

The nice thing about leather is that nothing soaks through to the foam, which can then get stinky over time with typical fabric. I don't know if these textile seats have a barrier below the fabric. I find the leather to be very easy to clean. But I don't have kids, just spaz friends. But I would be worried about the young'uns scratching up the leather, which will not happen on textile. That'll hurt resale quite a bit. Maybe you could wrap the kids in bubble wrap every time they get in the car! Little devils. Without a doubt, whatever you go with, use a stain protector. I agree on the white issue. I wouldn't want it, no matter how resilient it may be. But that's just my taste.

Years ago when my oldest was younger, she spilled some milk on some fabric seats in an older car and we didn't discover it for like a week. It had soaked through and you can just imagine how terrible it smelled. I'd be interested in whether or not the X textile seats have a barrier too. I might just end up going with leather. They might scratch it, but my plan is to drive this car for basically the rest of my life so I'm not all that concerned with resale value!

I have three pre-teen kids and decided on the textile seats. Inside sales tells me the material is identical to the Model S standard seats. I like the feel and durability of these seats on the S vs. leather, plus saving $2,500 didn't hurt either. This was the one decision I made that I sure would have like to see the actual version in the car before deciding on but I did not want to wait until showrooms had the X because that would take me from the front of the production line to the back. I ordered a 70D. Given my reservation number below 2,000 and that I configured and ordered right away, hopefully I will be an early owner of the 70D. Small reward for putting down $5,000 over three years ago.

Years ago when my oldest was younger, she spilled some milk on some fabric seats in an older car and we didn't discover it for like a week. It had soaked through and you can just imagine how terrible it smelled. I'd be interested in whether or not the X textile seats have a barrier too. I might just end up going with leather. They might scratch it, but my plan is to drive this car for basically the rest of my life so I'm not all that concerned with resale value!

I don't know how this affects durability or soakability, but the leather seats appear to have perforations for the heating/cooling. It's unclear if you need to order the sub-zero package or not, but the images I've seen thus far had perforated seats in all 3 rows.

What are everyone's thoughts with how stain-resistant the standard textile seats are or will be? I have 2 young kids (3 & 7) so I'm concerned about them spilling things etc. I don't have too much experience with S seats (don't own a Tesla currently) but for those that have an S and maybe went to the X reveal, how do they compare?

I have the same dilemma. A little time back I searched the Model S forums for how people did with the standard seats. It seemed no one regretted getting them even those with kids. I searched again and was not able to find the same threads immediately, but thought this thread was useful:

Textile seats - Scotchgard ??

When I talked to the someone from a showroom about it, she thought the next gen seats were the way to go because their form was more comfortable. But the Model X seats seem to have the same form regardless of material making it more a question of durability and cleanablity.

We have a 10 and 12 year old and we're in the same boat. They're perfectly well behaved in the car (well, when they're not fighting), but with soccer and swimming and beach, and other activities, there definitely will be wet, sweaty and/or sandy bodies in the car fairly often. So we just got back from the Tesla store in Paramus and checked out the Model S seat options, which should be similar to the Model X. I also sat in the Ultra White seats at the reveal and I believe black leather too (test ride). At Paramus, only one of the 30 or so cars they had on the lot (mostly CPO cars) had the textile/artificial leather seats. This is the base seat material on the X. They looked pretty nice but my wife sat in them for about 5 seconds before she got up and said, "No thanks." For her it was about the feel of the seats, compared to sitting in the leather - "it felt like I was sitting in a Ford." My wife is not a car snob in any way, shape or form (she still thinks it's... well... "ludicrous" that we're spending this much on a car). But since we are, she wants the seats to be leather.

The textile does look like a very tight weave, seems fairly water resistant, and the artificial leather accents were hard to distinguish from leather. Overall, I'd say the textile seats are a fine option, and would hold up nicely, particularly if treated with scotchgard, or similar. I would have been OK with them. But it does mean that you can't get the Premium Upgrade Package (HEPA filter, Alcantara headliner and accents, LED fog lights, turning lights and interior lighting, and self-presenting driver's door). Getting the PUP *requires* that you get the leather or Ultra White upgraded seats. So of those options, we didn't much care for the tan, and liked the look of the black. I loved the Ultra White Seats at the reveal, but I can't get my wife to go along with that as she's convinced they won't hold up over time with kids. I told her "but Elon has 4 young boys and he got white!" And she pointed out that Elon can just tell someone, "give me new seats" and he'll get them. She also thinks he may have someone detailing his car every day so it always looks great. (Does that job comes with TSLA options? If so, I'll take it!). So, since the grey leather isn't available on the X, it looks like we'll get black leather as it will probably hold up the best overall in our household.

Similarly on the headliner, she thinks the light headliner might get dirty easily as people put their hands on it when getting into and out of the car. So although I like the contrast of the black seats, light headliner, we're most likely going with black leather, black headliner for lowest maintenance overall. I'm OK with that. :)

-CB

Last edited:
Similarly on the headliner, she thinks the light headliner might get dirty easily as people put their hands on it when getting into and out of the car. So although I like the contrast of the black seats, light headliner, we're most likely going with black leather, black headliner for lowest maintenance overall. I'm OK with that. :)

We'll probably be going with the same interior (black seats, black headliner). However, I just wanted to point another possible inconvenience with the white headliner. With so much reflective glass in the panoramic window, I suspect that the white headliner would cause a lot of distracting reflections. Of course I have nothing to base this on yet, but thought I would point it out to get other's opinions.

We'll probably be going with the same interior (black seats, black headliner). However, I just wanted to point another possible inconvenience with the white headliner. With so much reflective glass in the panoramic window, I suspect that the white headliner would cause a lot of distracting reflections. Of course I have nothing to base this on yet, but thought I would point it out to get other's opinions.
I think you already planted that idea in my head earlier, which is one of the other reasons I was receptive to going dark on both counts. :) But the part that would seem to be problematic for reflections would be the dashboard, not the headliner. And in the design studio, the dashboard doesn't change color based on which headliner you select. Of course, the design studio may be wrong. But it looks like the dash is a medium to dark grey. In any case, the wife has spoken. We're going black (and once you go black...).

Here are the design studio screens for black leather/light headliner and black leather/black headliner.

black leather with light headliner.jpg

black leather with black headliner.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe we could start a thread over in the Model S section requesting photos of how leather and cloth seats wore over time with families. I have not found a thread like that yet.
That's a really good idea. We asked the folks in the service area in Paramus about how well the various seats have held up, but they didn't have any specific recommendations about which way to go.