Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard White vs. Multi-Coat White

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an S85 on order. Delivery planned around June 07. I am very sure about all the options I ordered. However I am not sure about the color. I know I want a white car. But which one to chose: Standard White or MC White? I have never seen a MC White. I have Standard White on order. However I am not sure if I should change (if I still can) to MC White.Any thoughts or recommendations? Also is the MC White and Pearl White that is mentioned in some threads the same?
I am planning on window tinting and perhaps TSportline Grey 19s Turbines.

It really depends a lot on the lighting conditions. I have the Pearl White and love it. It is definitely most noticeable at night. The standard white is - well - just white :) If you have a service center nearby, give them a call and see if they have any white and pearl white in for repairs. That's what I did before making my decision as they did not even have a sales center here at the time.

Here's pearl white. In bright sun, the car has a glow that you won't get from plain white. Pearl white does a better job showing off the subtle curves in the sheet metal. You can see this effect in action if you go to a Tesla store and look at the two wall mounted paint samples for white and pearl white. The concave shape of the sample is much more evident in pearl white. Check it out.

PearlTeslaModelSmed.jpg

Last edited:
I like the pearl white it looks hot. I first finalized with it, but changed after I realized how many white cars are on the road. I also agonized over the colors, but ultimately decided on the brown after seeing it in person in the sun. At the end of the day, I realize I would have loved whatever color I would have gotten because it is a model s. Aren't this good problems to have? :)
Here's pearl white. In bright sun, the car has a glow that you won't get from plain white. Pearl white does a better job showing off the subtle curves in the sheet metal. You can see this effect in action if you go to a Tesla store and look at the two wall mounted paint samples for white and pearl white. The concave shape of the sample is much more evident in pearl white. Check it out.

View attachment 49099

I had this dilemma too because I wanted a white one too. After I saw both, I realized that it took a lot of effort to tell the difference between the two especially to an untrained eye. Decided it was not worth the extra money and went with grey instead.

When my wife and I were going around in circles about which color to order we saw almost every color "in person". Visited two different showrooms multiple times to see them all. We felt the Pearl White was much more attractive and interesting than the plain white, and it was easy to tell the difference. We ended up with silver and a black roof, but the Pearl White was our second choice.

Have to disagree the pearl white has so much depth, looks a silver white in certain light and is extremely classy. One of the comments I regularly receive from admirers is about how stunning the pearl white is.

+1 - Agree with this. The pearl effect has a certain glow to it depending on how the light hits it that the plain white does not. Of course you'll have to consider this a prejudiced opinion. :wink:

we went with Pearl after seeing both on the same day in the same conditions at the store. the standard white isn't too shabby either, and we struggled with whether or not it seemed worth it to spend $1500 on paint that really was not noticeably different. (i mean if you are paying $1500 you might as well go for arrest-me red, right??!?) but i agree with the posters above - in different lighting conditions, the pearl shimmers and is very nice.

we have had both flat white and pearl whites in the past. we had an Arctic White (flat) on an MB E63 w/ pano which was very sporty looking. right now we have Starfire Pearl on our Lexus CT200h which i think is one of the best pearl whites on the market today. personally, i don't like the more yellow-tinged pearl whites and prefer a bluer undertone, if that makes any sense. those off-white pearls just don't do it for me. the Tesla pearl white is very pure white in my opinion, which is my preference, so that's what we are going with!!

@Todd - your pic in this thread is also one of the reasons we decided to go for Pearl! beautiful!

Pearl white will give you much more dimension and depth than white. The lines on the MS are very nice, so both colors will look great. The pearl will just be that extra wow factor and will definitely help, IMHO, resale time. I'm not sure about it being thicker though...it might be true. We just completed doing some clear bra work and nano coating on one, and he'll be back next week for a follow-up...I'll measure the paint and report back. If you're close by, I can arrange for you to come and check it out in person

It's really difficult to discuss colours with other people because what others see probably isn't what you see. Vision Scientist Mark D. Fairchild says colour is "a perception that depends on the response of the human visual system to light and the interaction of light with objects". Light is responsible for producing colour because of how our sight works and responds to colours in the spectrum, but light alone can't produce colours without OUR eyes and brain to process the information. When it comes to seeing colours differently there can be different physiological differences in people's eyes, in their retina and lens, and in their brain, that may be able to slightly change what people see. Though people typically are able to label colours the same (except the colour blind) we all probably see them slightly differently, even if ever so slighty. So when you are discussing how white or pearl white looks, everyone sees them somewhat differently because we can't look through someone else's eyes. For this reason, it makes it kind of futile to tell someone which one is better. It all depends on how each of us process it. Go with the one that, after you process it with your eyes and brain, it appeals best to you.

Last edited: