Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standby Function?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have major issues with the PSE&G power supply voltage sagging at my house in the afternoons (hot Summer I guess). The voltage drops to around 210 (which is bad in so many ways I know...) and at that point the Gateway forces the Powerwalls to kick on (app shows no grid). This also causes the Solar to time out for ten minutes. After ten minutes the solar comes on, and then the Gateway goes back to grid function. Almost immediately, the voltage drops again and the Gateway disconnects the grid again and the Solar goes off. This cycles until the Powerwalls are depleted if I'm not home. There is power on the A/C side (no blackout) it is only low voltage. If I'm home I have two options - 1) flip the gateway breaker (I have the original Gateway not ver 2) to run off grid, which is fine until the sun goes down or 2) turn off the Powerwall, which is fine until there is a blackout (likely with low voltage on the grid) in which case I don't have backup since the Gateway won't power on by itself.

Is there a way to put the gateway in standby while keeping it on? I tried the Powerwall UI and it will not let me stop the system while supplying power (I get an error). If I turn off the system in the UI while not supplying power, will I be able to turn it on if power fails?

I have major issues with the PSE&G power supply voltage sagging at my house in the afternoons (hot Summer I guess). The voltage drops to around 210 (which is bad in so many ways I know...) and at that point the Gateway forces the Powerwalls to kick on (app shows no grid). This also causes the Solar to time out for ten minutes. After ten minutes the solar comes on, and then the Gateway goes back to grid function. Almost immediately, the voltage drops again and the Gateway disconnects the grid again and the Solar goes off. This cycles until the Powerwalls are depleted if I'm not home. There is power on the A/C side (no blackout) it is only low voltage. If I'm home I have two options - 1) flip the gateway breaker (I have the original Gateway not ver 2) to run off grid, which is fine until the sun goes down or 2) turn off the Powerwall, which is fine until there is a blackout (likely with low voltage on the grid) in which case I don't have backup since the Gateway won't power on by itself.

Is there a way to put the gateway in standby while keeping it on? I tried the Powerwall UI and it will not let me stop the system while supplying power (I get an error). If I turn off the system in the UI while not supplying power, will I be able to turn it on if power fails?
You really need to call the power company to come out and fix the problem. A 30V drop is not normal or in spec for the GW or your inverters. This is something they need to deal with. I don't think there is anything you can do to put your system in standby, and flipping the breaker every day isn't a solution.

You really need to call the power company to come out and fix the problem. A 30V drop is not normal or in spec for the GW or your inverters. This is something they need to deal with. I don't think there is anything you can do to put your system in standby, and flipping the breaker every day isn't a solution.
I've tried for two years, including filing two complaints with the Board of Public Utilities. The result is always that nothing ever actually gets fixed. PSE&G talks a good game about some cap banks being down and that it's all fixed now but the next year it's more of the same....

I have Tesla coming for a service call soon let's see if the tech has any ideas.

I'm happy to report I am making progress. PSEG has agreed to run 3 phase and a new transformer to my house, although this will take 2 more months because they need to clear trees and run new poles. More importantly I have found a workaround! Powerwalls are switched off, and I am able to power on my Gateway manually. This is pretty much the fix I was looking for, I will share more details about how to jumper the gateway soon (with more of an explanation than found in other threads here).

Well it's a year later... and FINALLY after 3 years of agony PSE&G put a new pole in my back yard with a transformer on it. They still have to run the primary to the transformer but it seems like it's finally going to happen! Just in time too the voltage problem continues to get worse, I've had to run in off-grid mode on every 85+ degree day to keep the solar from shutting down, and then crank the A/C or charge the car so the Powerwalls don't shut down the solar when they are full. Switching the Powerwalls off wasn't a great solution because the low voltage would still cause the solar to trip off. I will say that the Powerwall software has improved greatly where it now automatically takes over and goes off grid when the voltage is low but before the solar trips. This still causes the solar to go off for 10 minutes but it's managable, as long as I'm home... I may have to invest in Wifi thermostats so I can turn on/off the A/C remotely.

Reactions: BGbreeder