Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stanford Magazine article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Stanford Magazine is primarily for Stanford alumni and parents, and as such, emphasizes the contributions of alums and students. It is, however, a bit unfair that they didn't even mention Martin or Marc. But in this case, I wouldn't chalk it up to trying to rewrite history... it's just the style typical of these alumni mags. I did my undergrad at Cornell and see the same kind of thing from their magazine.

p1_23.jpg

The Advantage Self Naming

I had always felt that if you started a company and named it after yourself, you were being a bit conceited, Now I see that it does have one big advantage,

If someone else tries to take credit for it, at least they have to go through the trouble of changing the name.

If it had been Eberhard Motors, it would take a little more work to rewrite history.

I had always felt that if you started a company and named it after yourself, you were being a bit conceited, Now I see that it does have one big advantage,

If someone else tries to take credit for it, at least they have to go through the trouble of changing the name.

Not necessarily. David Dunbar Buick founded his car company in May 1903 and didn't make it to the end of the year before he was pushed out.

According to Wikipedia, "Buick sold his stock for a small sum upon departure, and died in modest circumstances twenty-five years later."

After his departure the company became hugely successful, bought an number of other car companies, and was renamed as "General Motors". But of course, you can still buy Buicks today.

Just a bit of historic trivia to put things in perspective.

"Not necessarily. David Dunbar Buick founded his car company in May 1903 and didn't make it to the end of the year before he was pushed out."

But Tony, the point is Buick could not be denied his foundership (floundership?).

The erasing of Martin will be easy. Mr Buick while he died poor and desitute* could still claim he started the company.

* (I made that up but don't they all get slighted like Nikola Tesla)

Rather than an empty EP, I think the banner on this site should feature both the car and the founders.

What goes on the banner of the fan club is not my decision, but I think it is a great idea! However, I will see if I can convince camera-shy Marc to pose for a picture. With Martin's and Marc's permission, I will post the pictures here on the TFC website, and the administrators of the site can decide what they want to do.

Sound fair?

Thanks for the help!:smile:

Carolyn

So who would be included in the "Gallery of founders"? Martin and Marc of course, but JB and Elon certain joined early, helped create the product and lent initial financial backing.

This article suggest that Martin and Marc were #1 & #2 with JB and Elon being #3 and #4...

Mike Harrigan and Malcom Powell have certainly been instrumental, but not quite "founders" I gather.

Then there are the lower level early hires who have done a lot of real hard work. Gene-B, Phil-L, David-L, etc. Those guys likely deserve tons of credit and recognition, but again, not really founders...

So who would be included in the "Gallery of founders"? Martin and Marc of course, but JB and Elon certain joined early, helped create the product and lent initial financial backing.

This article suggest that Martin and Marc were #1 & #2 with JB and Elon being #3 and #4...

Mike Harrigan and Malcom Powell have certainly been instrumental, but not quite "founders" I gather.

Then there are the lower level early hires who have done a lot of real hard work. Gene-B, Phil-L, David-L, etc. Those guys likely deserve tons of credit and recognition, but again, not really founders...

My notes have JB as employee #5. I am not sure when the other employees came into the "sand box" to play.:tongue: But you are correct that Mike, Mac, Gene, Phil, and David have all worked very hard at building Tesla and deserve recognition. However, there is/was an entire staff involved.

If I am not mistaken, Martin and Marc incorporated Tesla on July 1, 2003, and they pitched to Elon in April 2004. This means that they floated the company on their own money and the money of angel investors from incorporation until Elon's money hit the bank. I also believe that Martin started pitching the idea of Tesla to me in the early summer of 2002. I was not thrilled until he assured me that the car would look nothing like the tzero. Just some side notes on the history of Tesla.

By the way, Marc and Martin have agreed to the picture. Now we just need a delivery date for P2.

Carolyn

Obviously there's limited space on a banner, but TEG's idea for a Gallery is great. Possibly a sub-forum under Tesla Motors labelled "Early-History" is what is really needed. Could get contributions/reminiscences from many sources.

Would help jog Martin's memory when he comes to write that autobiography :)

Last edited:
Obviously there's limited space on a banner, but TEG's idea for a Gallery is great. Possibly a sub-forum under Tesla Motors labelled "Early-History" is what is really needed. Could get contributions/reminiscences from many sources.

Would help jog Martin's memory when he comes to write that autobiography :)

I second that idea. This would also make it easy of where to send those journalists/bloggers to keep history straight.