Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stanphyl Capital and Mark Spiegel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot believe the mods are allowing these witch hunts to continue.

Tesla's success and failure will be decided solely by their own ability to execute.

It's really shows cowardice that a group of anonymous online forum posters feel empowered to go after a guy who's putting his reputation on the line.

Do you think Tesla will win? Yes? Then let Mark Spiegel fade to the oblivion of failure.

Tesla is already at a massive 50B+ market cap, on par with Ford and GM who make way, way more cars. The idea that "short sellers are conspiring to take down Tesla" is pure insanity and should be called out as such.

If they are conspiring, they really suck at it - stock has been hovering between 290-370, for a long, long time now.

Hmmm, so it's "witch hunt, cowardice and pure insanity" to discuss possibility of coordinared securities fraud by highly exposed short seller/'s and mutual retweeting of FUD by him and series of interconnected fake accounts driving up social media FUD exposure you call..... what?

Btw, wonder why admins allow your insulting of forum members...

I cannot believe the mods are allowing these witch hunts to continue.

Tesla's success and failure will be decided solely by their own ability to execute.

It's really shows cowardice that a group of anonymous online forum posters feel empowered to go after a guy who's putting his reputation on the line.

Do you think Tesla will win? Yes? Then let Mark Spiegel fade to the oblivion of failure.

Tesla is already at a massive 50B+ market cap, on par with Ford and GM who make way, way more cars. The idea that "short sellers are conspiring to take down Tesla" is pure insanity and should be called out as such.

If they are conspiring, they really suck at it - stock has been hovering between 290-370, for a long, long time now.

I've had too many interactions with Mark, over multiple platforms, to let you try and make him a victim. He has been one of the most prolific disseminators of false information over the last several years, and he's part of a concerted effort to manipulate TSLA for personal gain.

The guy is beyond sleazy, and I have absolutely no sympathy for someone who is getting blowback from his own actions.

OK I have a question

*NOTE THE FOLLOWING NEVER OCCURRED

If Mark B Spiegel Tweeted out "In 2 months, we are going to make this stock plummet"

would that be securities fraud for organizing a bear raid? I am not saying it is or isnt, I am asking if that is your stance.

OK I have a question

If Mark B Spiegel Tweeted out "In 2 months, we are going to make this stock plummet"

would that be securities fraud for organizing a bear raid? I am not saying it is or isnt, I am asking if that is your stance.

That would depend entirely on his actions after the tweet, I should think. However, I don't believe I ever discussed securities fraud...simply that he's not prolifically spreading FUD around the internet because that's how he gets his rocks off.

Reactions: slaven0
OK I have a question

As JohnSnow said, depends on how he does it. There is nothing wrong with shorting and effort by shorters can lead to discovery of valuable info for SEC and shareholders but intentional coordinated spreading of FUD in order to drive the stock down does constitute a securities fraud, see:

Short-and-Distort
Bear Raid

Here's a funny one:

Mark B. Spiegel on Twitter
upload_2018-7-27_15-8-38.png

How did that short work out for him?

upload_2018-7-27_15-10-43.png

Interestingly, Spiegel doesn't disclose the range of assets in his so-called "hedge fund".

Given that he seems to have lost money nearly every year, I'm thinking it's substantially below the amount initially invested.

The weird part is that he's been managing to attract fresh money.
From SEC reports, his "total amount sold":
$2.8 million by July 2012 (from Arizona and NY, 10 investors)
$3.042 million by August 2013 (from NY, 11 investors)
$4.492 million by August 2014 (18 investors)
$4.532559 million by July 2015 (same investors... someone topped him up)
$6.282559 million in July 2017 (20 investors)
$6.682559 million in July 2018 (21 investors)

Sooo. Digging out his official publications and statements to the press, he was
-- did not disclose returns in 2012 AFAICT
-- supposedly up 56% in 2013
-- did not disclose returns in 2014 AFAICT
-- down 11.1% in 2015
-- up 31% in 2016 (due to other stocks, not to his TSLA short), which was apparently the "high water mark"
-- down 12.4% in 2017
-- down 15.5% YTD in 2018 October.

It's not clear how much money he lost in 2012 and 2014, though we know he shorted into the gigantic 2013 TSLA rally, starting at $90, and was massively short TSLA starting in early 2014. He says he shorted in the mid-$200s (so near the 2014 peak), and although he could have been ahead at the end of 2014, he says he wasn't (maybe due to borrowing fees?)

If we assume that he somehow managed to run flat in 2012 and 2014 (I'm assuming the Aug 2013 money came in after the 2013 gains), we can calculate that he would have had about 4.6 million in early 2016, about 7.2 million in early 2017 (mostly due to some return-chasing fool injecting 1.75 million in), and about $5.7 million now. This could be off because I don't have any records for his earlier performance; I'd actually guess he has less than that.

Anyway, there are quite a lot of individuals on this forum managing more money than that and doing far better. It's truly interesting that Spiegel's managed to self-promote enough to actually get on news shows and get interviewed by the WSJ, because he's got zero credibility.

I feel sorry for anyone who put money into Spiegel's so-called "hedge fund" under the mistaken belief that they were investing -- though I do suspect that some were just using him to manipulate the media and wrote off the injections of funds as a marketing expenses.

Anyway, that was a completely pointless thing to look up, but when I realized Spiegel was "declining to disclose" his assets under management, I started getting curious and decided to try to figure it out.

His funniest statement is from early on when he says he'll limit the size of the fund to $50 million. Talk about irrational optimism.