Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Star Trek: Picard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something going on with my CBS all access right now. Native app on TV has Video and no Audio. App on my Apple TV has Audio and no Video. I guess the universe is telling me not to watch it.....

I'd use it as an excuse to buy another TV because I don't like the universe telling me what I can, and can't do.

If I have to use one TV for Video, and one for Audio then so be it.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
ok, I can see how that would make sense back them.

If it helps, I've never viewed it as a 1-for-1 relationship, but from the few minutes of TOS I've been able to stomach watching I could see that being one's impression as well. TNG to me always seemed like a mash up of earth cultures (Worf's character development leveraged a lot of traditional Japanese elements, for instance), but looking back on it now its clear Roddenberry's thumb was still tilting the scales toward characters and cultures being pretty one dimensional--especially those that didn't make it on the bridge--and plots being pretty morally predictable and generally happy-ever-after.

Token on-topic content, I'm stoked to watch Picard...waiting for the season to queue up before I start.

Reactions: cucubits
Something going on with my CBS all access right now. Native app on TV has Video and no Audio. App on my Apple TV has Audio and no Video. I guess the universe is telling me not to watch it.....
Yes, All Access was a PITA tonight here as well. Was trying to watch another show and hit kept hiccuping every 10 seconds or so. Not the first time All Access was problematic. Actually, it’s becoming a more frequent occurrence.

I rebooted the Apple TV and the CBS all access app seems to be working for now. Through the native app on the TV though, I can only watch one show with both audio and video. If i try to watch a different show, I lose audio again. At least it's working on the Apple TV now....

I re-watched episode 1 last night and just finished episode 2. I now see why there were comments on the pace of the episode. I dozed a few times and had to rewind....

Yes, it's sad. I miss the good times when a TNG season used to have over 20 episodes. It's like they switched from the "desire to better themselves", to "what's the easiest way to make more money". ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Ep 5 ("Stardust City Rag") at least had pretty good plot density. Folks mentioned that the villain looks a lot like a young Marina Sirtis. I didn't realize until folks pointed out and I rewatched a few scenes.

Ep 6 ("The Impossible Box") seemed like it'd be a low density snoozer until things really picked up at the end.

I fortunately have at least 3 means of watching the show on my TV (a Roku 3, Apple TV 4K and a Chromecast). Worst case is I have to fallback to my iOS devices, Android devices or my computers.

I am not a fan of Star Trek. Never have been. I was in my 20's when it first came out and my friends loved it. I hated the overarching premise that the bad guys (Romulans, obviously intended to be Russians, and Klingons, obviously intended to be Chinese) were pure evil who could not be reasoned with and the only answer was to blow them up.

I guess Robddenberry got through to my younger impressionable self better than he did to you, because that was most definitely not the impressions TOS left me.

That plus, the Romulans really weren't meant to be Russians. I could quite easily see they were modeled on (suprise!) the Roman empire. But then, I had already been subjected to a healthy dose of Asterix before I started watching TOS.

Reactions: bxr140 and cucubits
Well, I'm caught up to episode 6 now. So...no more 7 of 9 ?

I wouldn't be surprised if they used some of the old cast purely for marketing purposes with minor roles just so they can make the trailer.
Wonder if Riker will also get about 3 minutes of total screen time :(

I can't tell if I'm sad or mad about this and the greedy times we are apparently living in...

Watching a DS9 episode as I am writing this and I can't help thinking that apart from CGI and special effects, there nothing better in the current sci-fi series going around (except for The Expanse, I'm giving that a break, I enjoyed it a lot).

Watching a DS9 episode as I am writing this and I can't help thinking that apart from CGI and special effects, there nothing better in the current sci-fi series going around (except for The Expanse, I'm giving that a break, I enjoyed it a lot).
DS9 was great. It was more than just the Dominion story line.

I'm watching the episode "The Sound of Her Voice" on BBC right now.

Reactions: bxr140 and cucubits
Speaking of new series out, here's an example on how it's supposed to be done.

Altered Carbon. I can't believe how well it's designed to draw you in. I literally find myself watching one more episode when I don't even want to. The first season left me feeling all kinds of weird but I sure couldn't stop thinking about it for a good while after it ended.

It's not Star Trek but it's very sci-fi. It's on Netflix.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid