Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Star Trek: Picard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finished up, also won't spoil.

Pretty good first season, very classic-trek-meets-serialized-teevee. Definitely not the 'what have you blown up for me lately' approach that's sort of the MO for any kind of series these days (I'm looking at you, Disco) but a slower, more thoughtful Roddenberry-like pace that most fans will remember from seasons of old. The classic pace really allowed the writers to develop storylines with a bit of finesse as opposed to slamming them on the screen and moving onto the next scene.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's enough staying power to compete in 2020, which is a bummer. From a historical perspective the season is SIGNIFICANTLY more put together than TNG season 1 (for instance) but as evidence by comments above even pretty die hard fans are giving it a ho-hum. I think the monotone serialized aspect of today's series is especially difficult in sci-fi (as opposed to the historical-adjacent The Crown or the distopian-suspense Handmaid where it works much better) as its really difficult to showcase different characters and especially different elements of the show's universe. Throughout ST history (and probably TV history) characters and elements/concepts of nuance/depth in the universe really haven't come into their own without at lest a secondary episode plot and usually a primary episode plot, and that's really hard to do unless its within a standalone episode.

If I were king I'd ask Ira to layer his brilliant balance of episodic and serialization onto a post-Abrams Star Trek universe for future seasons...

For me, the last episode was the most enjoyable, although I have questions. I started watching Discovery Season 2 and episode 02 had no audio. Episodes 1, 3, 4, etc had audio, but not episode 2. Randomly checked Season 1 and all episodes of Picard and they had audio. I'll try again tonight...

For me, the last episode was the most enjoyable, although I have questions. I started watching Discovery Season 2 and episode 02 had no audio. Episodes 1, 3, 4, etc had audio, but not episode 2. Randomly checked Season 1 and all episodes of Picard and they had audio. I'll try again tonight...
Could be just a large number of folks accessing, due to CoronaVirus “stay home” orders, etc. I’ve experienced glitches as well.

ad2334d6f027ea9848bb391188450f9e (2).jpg

Probably only applicable for those in the US:
Paramount+ Launches With Free Episodes, A Star Trek Marathon, And Free Month Offer
Free episodes of original series, including Star Trek

On launch day, Paramount+ made the first episodes of their original series available for free, including the pilots of Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, and Star Trek: Lower Decks. You can watch them via Amazon or Apple TV apps, or on YouTube.
Today Paramount+ launched with a new one-month free promotion. To sign up, click here and use the code MOUNTAIN. Offer ends 3/31/21.
The above is the new branding for what was formerly known as CBS All Access.

Closest I got to a Vegas Star Trek con was the Star Trek experience at the Vegas Hilton.
On this note, I came across Rare Video Shows Building of STAR TREK: The Experience - Nerdist very recently. I watched the first video.

You can see kinda how they did the transporter effect at the beginning. Was a pretty good twist to start off the experience/ride. I went on it at least once or twice in addition to the now defunct Voyager "4D" ride.

Sad to see the direction they chose for Season 2.

Traveling back to current times is always just a lazy cheat so they can avoid building proper sets and investing in good CGI...

I'll probably watch it because it's ...Picard, but from the trailer I don't have high hopes. I have to admit I haven't finished the last few episodes of Season 1 either and I do consider myself the biggest star trek fan. I watch almost daily episodes of TNG and the Original Series.

Sad to see the direction they chose for Season 2.

Traveling back to current times is always just a lazy cheat so they can avoid building proper sets and investing in good CGI...

I'll probably watch it because it's ...Picard, but from the trailer I don't have high hopes. I have to admit I haven't finished the last few episodes of Season 1 either and I do consider myself the biggest star trek fan. I watch almost daily episodes of TNG and the Original Series.
At least travel back to the 1980's.

Why anyone would want to visit 2021 is beyond my comprehension. I haven't seen the trailer yet though.

Reactions: jebinc
I realized earlier tonight that the replay of Star Trek Day 2021 | Star Trek is broken on Safari but works on Chrome.

On my Win 10 laptop, it seems broken on Firefox but working on Chrome right now...

There's also Watch All the STAR TREK DAY 2021 Panel Videos Here!. On the day itself, some folks on TiVocommunity said the experience was painful or got painful fast. One of them said "Agony Booth painful."

We'll see. I'm not interested in all the panels but have the replay up now to half-watch the pre-show and watch Jeff Russo conduct.

From the pre-show, I learned about Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds. It's in LA. I may want to visit when it's open (October 7, 2021–February 20, 2022).

Last edited:
Why anyone would want to visit 2021 is beyond my comprehension. I haven't seen the trailer yet though.

I honestly can’t tell if this is satirical social commentary on how many folks interpret their news feed…

;)

Trailer looks interesting, new season seems promising. As noted in my review at the top of this page, Picard is a pretty decent mash up of current-day serialization and old school Roddenberry pace. Great for fans of older series, not so great for fans that think Disco is the best series in the franchise.